RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Arguing with Casual Gamers

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I FREAKIN' HATE ARGUING WITH CASUAL GAMERS. I know I just shouldn't, but they're so f***ing retarded it's ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg
On the comments, you will see:

Quote from: DiscoRByrno
Tournaments other than video games are to test your skill. Sure, if I lose many Brawl matches in a row, then I get pissed off and then start? taking it seriously. However, it's just a video game. It's nothing to be proud about, unlike sports and other games that are actually real. Video games are just meant for fun, and IMO it's a waste of a life to try and win video game tournaments. Eventually people will have to get off their butts and start taking responsibility in life.

Quote from: me
My reply was too long to post on youtube comments.

http://pastebin.com/MjzmHbV7

If? it's too long for you read/argue your point, then you lack passion for your "real sports." Not calling you out, but just saying.

Quote from: DiscoRByrno's reply
I read your post off the website, and it's actually quite incorrect. Brawl isn't a "real sport", hence the fact that it's a video game. Just because you're using your fingers to control the characters doesn't make it a sport. A sport is where you dress up in a uniform / clothes that represent your team's state and play with multiple objects to score points, like football or baseball.? Also, you mention professional sports as a waste of time. You are one delusional person!

I replied saying:
"*sigh* Brawl is a horrible example. I don't want to get into Brawl because I hate the game.

And "dressing up?" Golf is undeniably a sport. Do people dress up to represent a team? No. Tennis is a sport as well. They represent themselves, not a team.

And I did not say "real sports" by your definition is a waste of time. I used it as a parody of your example. You don't even know what rhetoric is.

I refuse to waste my time arguing with a retard any further."

My arguments may not be the best, but casual gamers are just plain retarded or something. I wish I could find a casual gamer who could actually argue the point that "videogames aren't 'real sports'" without having such stupid arguments like this guys'.

I was going to post this on a site about competitive Smash, but I decided to post here instead to get opinions of people who would be a little less biased. Anyone care to argue a point or offer a comment? >_>

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Your first mistake is reading YouTube comments. Your second mistake is using Smash Brothers as an argument against "casual" gaming.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
who cares tbh
play video games for yourself not other people
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Your first mistake is reading YouTube comments. Your second mistake is using Smash Brothers as an argument against "casual" gaming.
I agree with your first sentence.
I disagree with your second sentence. Learn how much depth exists in SSBM. Then we'll talk. P:

@Anski: Why do psychologists and philosophers exist? Why does science exist? Why do communities such as ours, even (for what the title says it is), exist? It's to expand the knowledge of humanity as a whole or at least those who are willing after being exposed to the subject. If not, we would be far, far behind the state we are now. You may hate and degrade the state of human nature and our corruption and the destruction of the planet (if you believe in it, lol), but it's undeniable how far we've come even in the past decade.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Meh, everyone's got they're own definition of sport and what not. It's like saying Golf isn't a sport because it's boring, or cricket isn't a sport because it's only mainly played in the UK, South Africa and AUS/NZ.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
@Anski: Why do psychologists and philosophers exist? Why does science exist? Why do communities such as ours, even (for what the title says it is), exist? It's to expand the knowledge of humanity as a whole or at least those who are willing after being exposed to the subject. If not, we would be far, far behind the state we are now. You may hate and degrade the state of human nature and our corruption and the destruction of the planet (if you believe in it, lol), but it's undeniable how far we've come even in the past decade.

your attempt at a versed and intellectual argument isn't even coherent.
Why can't you just play videogames and not argue about them like I do

Rep:
Level 98
seriously what the fuck does that have to do with this, all of those artisan type skills and the philosophers/psychologists are for learning more about the sciences, if you're telling me that arguing whether a videogame is a sport or not is ridiculous no matter what side you think it is on. I guess you're at that age where you stop being passive and take everything up in an argument but it's fucking stupid how you're trying to do it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Why is not coherent? tl;dr - Without attempting to spread knowledge and ideas, America would still have slaves, and women (in all seriousness) would still be back in the kitchen and would never be seen at school. This includes the double-post because the spread of ideas affects society. Sure, Melee won't single-handedly change the world or a nation or anything, but the prejudice against videogames and them being considered a "sport" is pretty well-debated, especially in contemporary times.

And if I like something, I'll argue it. I like playing Melee competitively. Pretend you're an all-star NBA player or you're seriously training to become one or at least aspire to become one. It's like seeing someone online say "hey, basketball isn't a real sport; all you're doing is putting a sphere in, basically, a cylinder. what's so great about it?" and insisting that that is all that it is without any actual argument. Would you just not say anything and sit back as your favorite sport is ridiculed?

And why can't you learn to appreciate videogames more or at least play them competitively and argue about them like I do? >_>

EDIT: And seeing as people seem to differ quite a bit on opinion, if this could be moved into Elitist Debate, it'd be well appreciated. It doesn't mean as much, but at least I can count on a few more intelligent posts (not hating on your posts, Anski, but just weeding out of posts cozzie's reply which is just a random YT video), and the post could be about debating the inclusion of videogames as a "sport" and acceptance as such in society.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:46:37 AM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 98
See now your argument makes sense because you connected what you were trying to say with what you tried to throw at me. I know debate class is fun but seriously, arguing over youtube won't solve problems, people playing games competitively has practically turned into a sport at this point. It's a matter of popularity over the subject, not BAWWW YOUR OPINION SUXX on youtube.

Rep:
Level 98
And nobody said I don't appreciate competitive gaming, I was arguing that arguing over youtube comments is a ridiculous concept.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Okay, I have found a solution to why my responses from that guy were so retarded. In his latest response (which I have decided to finally ignore):

Also, I know what rhetoric means. It's when you ask a question? that doesn't need an answer.

Anyways, I'm more in agreement with your recent posts, Anski.

Rep:
Level 98
watch videogames, play videogames, and if someone insults them you shouldn't be so degraded as to go NO U and fight with them over the jewtubes.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Smash Bros doesn't have intended depth to it. It is all an illusion in the players' minds.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
It doesn't have a depth that was specifically intended by the designers, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
It doesn't have a depth that was specifically intended by the designers, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It is all an illusion in the players' minds.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Every post in this thread is bad, including this one.