RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is it possible to emulate "Fire Emblem" rather than "Final Fantasy"?????

Rep:
Level 75
Locked, Cocked, Ready to Rock!
I have been planning a game for months now, and i just realized that what i wanted was more of a "Fire Emblem" type gameplay rather than a "FF" type. Would it be possible to create an event sequence that can emulate that type of movement, turn-based attacks, etc. ????

fyi. I'm running on Rm2k3
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:00:02 AM by hawwk »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It's possible, but it's not simple. I don't know of any in-depth tutorials for building a TBS through events though, and there are so many elements to it that it would take a lot of skill and work, from defining movement algorithms to damage algorithms to creating a decent AI for the baddies. If you're dedicated and know events really well, then give it a shot and you can post more specific questions when you run into obstacles. But it's really not something that can be handed to you; you'll have to work at it very hard.

Rep:
Level 75
Can you make a variable that counts the number of steps you take?

If i can figure that out, i think the rest of the battle system ive been messing around with will just fall into place.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You can in XP and VX. I don't know about 2K3 though... it would be in Other of Variable Operations if so probably.

If what you want it for is to restrict the number of steps an actor takes when it's his/her own turn, then there are other ways to do it. For instance, you could check the map x and y of the actor, then ensure that the actor cannot move to any squares where it takes more than z moves.

Rep:
Level 75
and i would do that how?
I'm sorry, i'm familiar w/ the eventing, but i'm not entirely savvy w/ everything.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, it will depend on how you are controlling. I would recommend having each actor and enemy be an event, and use the player solely as a cursor. If doing that, it is relatively simple. You can use variables to get the map X and Y of the event where it currently is. Then, the player would move the cursor to the place he wants to move the event. At that point, you can save the x and y of the cursor into new variables. Then all you'd need to do is use another variable or two to record the difference between the x's and the y's, get the absolute value by multiplying by -1 if they are negative, and add them. If that number is greater than the movement range, then disallow the movement. If less than or equal, allow the movement.

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
There's something called Gubid's Tactical Battle System. Try that, and good luck! I'm making a Fire Emblem fangame myself, so we're in the same boat.

Rep:
Level 97
He's using RM2k3.

RMRK Junior
So Gubid's doesnt work on that version? Bummer...

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
I was the first Corlen.
Can you make a variable that counts the number of steps you take?

If i can figure that out, i think the rest of the battle system ive been messing around with will just fall into place.

You could use two sets of variables to test the player's X and Y coordinates to determine if they took a step in RPG Maker 2003... one set for the hero's current X and Y and the other set for the previous X and Y and when those differ it turns on a switch or adds to a variable of the number of steps taken or whatever and then you set the previous X and Y variables to the current X and Y variables.  If you want I can write out how to pull this off.

I have pulled this off in my current RPG in RPG Maker 2003 to make enemies only take a step when you do.

I was the first Corlen.
I'm going to go ahead and write it out for you anyway because I'm bored.  Make this a common event as a parallel process.

<>Variable Oper: [0002:Player X] Set, Hero X Coord.
<>Variable Oper: [0003:Player Y] Set, Hero Y Coord.
<>Branch if Var [0002:Player X] is V[0004] Equal
  <>Branch if Var [0003:Player Y] is V[0005] Equal
    <>
  : Else Handler
    <>Variable Oper: [0029:Number of Steps] + , 1
    <>
  : End
  <>
: Else Handler
  <>Variable Oper: [0029:Number of Steps] + , 1
  <>
: End
<>Variable Oper: [0004:Player Last X] Set, Var [0002]'s Value
<>Variable Oper: [0005:Player Last Y] Set, Var [0003]'s Value
<>Wait: 0.0 Sec
<>

What's the wait 0.0 seconds for?  It for some reason reduces lag in parallel processes in RPG Maker 2003.  Make a habit of putting it at the end of all your parallel processes, especially if you use a ton of them.  I modified my step testing engine to accommodate counting steps and it works.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:58:22 AM by corlenbelspar »

RPG MAKER in Training!
Just wanted to post and say Kudos to corlenbelspar for writing out this script! its much appreciated!
this is one of the things i needed on my steps toward recreating my old game since it will control the number of spaces the units can move &^^.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:49:19 AM by Kyotita »

I was the first Corlen.
And kudos to you as well, you just gave me an idea for the makings of another minigame in my RPG that revolves around the number of steps you and something else takes in turns.