RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RM2K3] Party Member Changing System

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Let's Player
Prologue:
Before we get started. This Tutorial was made because I\'ve hardly ever seen any tutorial about character swaping system that wasn\'t a map were the characters moved about in event form and you had to talk to them...similar to the one in Final fantasy VI...

Basic Knowledge required:
Switches
Variables
Event creation

Advance Knowledge (optional):
Custom Map creation
Custom menu

Let\'s begin, Part 1:
First, you should determine how much characters you want to have in your game. Once this is done, create a switch for each characters e.g: Johny_in_party. then create another switch for each characters name it something like : Johny_aquiered.

Part 2:
Create a map named something like : Party change option.
(if you know how to create a custom menu, or edit the map tileset, try using the tiles so it looks like a menu, and try to have the letters for the names of your characters...) Try making it look like a rectangle, sort of like a menu. Heres what I do with it, I put the lead character in the left spot, and trap him there by putting invisible event stated as \"same layer as hero\", so that he can only move in a vertical pattern. Put some event stated as \"below hero\" in his path, to indicate where the other party members will be. In the event, put a teleport command, with no fade-in/out...set it to teleport you in the same map but at the coordinate of the next path you\'ll create...

Now, if you edited or created the map and included the name of your characters, create events on the left part of the screen, create events that will reflect their name. Put them blank on the first page, create another page were if event (for example :\" jhonny_acquiered\") than include the sprite associate to his/her name. Repeat this pattern for as much character you have, or even simpler than that, just create one event, which will have the same sprite association than the character you wish to add.

Now, create another set of invisible events, to create a parallel path to the first one you created. Create similar events to the ones you did before, the \"below the hero\" ones, put them next to the name or sprite event you just created. Then just had an option asking if you want \"johny\" in the party, if answer is yes, change party to add \"johny\". Change the switch option so that switch:\"Jhony_in_party\" is on, change the other events so that the jhony sprite that was on the right, is now on the left, next to the event you create in the first path. Using the option if switch :\"johny_in_party\" is on, on the other pages of the events you create, put them blank again.

Repeat the process for as many character you have. I know it may be long and it may seem quite complex or confusing but once you try it it\'s really easy...

Part 3:
Now to acces this map, from anywhere...

Create a switch name it something like:\"custom_swap\"
Go to comon events, create a new event call it custom swap menu or something similar or what ever you like XD Put it paralel process when switch:\"custom_swap\" is on.

use the key configure option, use a minor key like Shift, put it as \"whait until key is pressed\"

Then use the memorize location, put the location in variable such as:\"map_ID\", \"X\", \'Y\".

then use the option \"teleport\" configure it so that it teleports you to the first path on the left of the map you created.

you could also add the option to remove all of the party members and add a character who will just work as a cursor, if you don\'t plan to force people on using a main character...if you do this, I STRONGLY suggest of adding an event that will prevent you from using the menu button on the character change map...

coding should look like:

<>Key input proc. [00X:THAT_KEY]
<>Memorize Location:[MAP_ID), [MAP_X], [MAP_Y]
<>Change Party members: Johny rmv
<>Teleport: 000X: Party change option (00X,00Y) retain facing.

You should also add options to turn the switch:\"..._in_Party\" to off.

Part 4:

Final small details...

now return to the map you created, create one last event on the left path. Add a message that ask something like: Do you wish to return to the game?\", add an option :\"yes, no\". In the \"Yes\" case, teleport back to memorize location. as easy as that! ( if you\'ve add a custom character to the party, remember to remove it).

in the \"No\" case, just end event there.

Coding:
<>Message: Do you wish to return to the game?
<>Show choices : Yes/No
[Yes] Handler
<>Change party: Cursor rmv
<>Recall to Location: V[MAP_ID],[MAP_X],[MAP_Y]
<>
[No] Handler
<>
:End
<>

Final Part:
Customize to your liking, there are lots of menus you can make using this formula, I know, I did XD.

Conclusion:
I know it might not be the best way, or even the easiest...but I never claimed it was... And while there might be ( probably are) way better method of doing this, this one is quite simple and can help someone new to game making, I know cause I\'m not really good at coding myself so...

By Squall4