RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RM2K3] Stealing

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Let's Player
This is a tutorial meant for use for RM2k3 only. Unlike the other RM steal tutorials, this one not only works (in all applied cases), but is simple, fast, animated, and allows the user to select a target to steal from. I'll also be showing you how to do all this :D. Finally, you can add in abilities like steal, which could upgrade to mug like FF.

Let's begin.

IMPORTANT: You will notice frequent references to a character called "Tiffany" throughout this tutorial. Simply replace the name "Tiffany" with the name of your thief character.

First we need to create a new skill. Open up the database manager (DB) and select the class panel. I'll explain why in a minute.
Now, select the hero/heroess/heroite you want to apply the skill to. Select the "set" button to the right of "Attack".

Create a new class as follows:
Name: Steal (surprise, surprise ;) )
Architype: Skill subset

The skill subset allows us to seperate steal from the very annoying "group all" skill feature. Now lets create a skill to implement this class.

I created the skill as follows:
Name: Steal
Type: Steal
MP Consumed: 0
Description: Allows player to steal from enemies.
Target: Single Enemy (I would NOT advise changing this due to the way it's coded).
Battle Animation: Punch A (Modify this for desired appearance)
Effect Rating: 0 (We don't want to hurt our enemy)
Select none of the Decrease check boxes.
Attack Influence: 0 (Ditto)
No conditions or attributes selected.

Congradulations! You have set up the most boring skill in the world! This is what we call a "dummy skill" (I'm hoping that will catch on at least ;) ). The sole purpose of the crappy skill we made above is simply to exist, and provide an appearance for the steal skill.

Well, now what? You probably ask. Now we do the coding. So far we have the appearance and menu command set up and I've used a lot of space, but hey, it's a start.

Now let's start the coding by creating an algorithm.
Since we can't make stealing too easy right?

I provided an example here - you'll find it nigh impossible to steal unless the thief's agility is equal to or greater then the monster's agility from which you're trying to steal.

We'll make several Common Events in this tutorial.
To cap, the first provides us with an algorithm to determine the chance of the steal succeeding.
Every one from there on as indicated below will allow the player to steal a certain item type. The monster holding this item will place a call to it's common event, but we'll worry about that later.

Common Event: Steal_Handling
Name: Steal_Handling
Trigger: Call

Variable Oper: [0001:Steal_Algorithm] Set, Rnd [0-100]
Variable Oper: [0001:Steal_Algorithm] +, Tiffany Agility

---end of file

Common Event: Steal_iPotion
Name: Steal_iPotion

Change Face Graphics: Erase
Branch if Var [0001: Steal_Algorithm] is 50 or more
>Change Items: Potion 1 Add
>Message Stole a potion!
<>
Else Handler
>Message Couldn't steal!
<>
End

Common Event: Steal_iAntidote
Name: Steal_iAntidote

Change Face Graphics: Erase
Branch if Var [0001: Steal_Algorithm] is 50 or more
>Change Items: Antidote 1 Add
>Message Stole an antidote!
<>
Else Handler
>Message Couldn't steal!
<>
End

Almost done :D Now, we open up M.Groups and place the finishing call functions:
Select a monster group to test this on.

Place the following in the Trigger Line:
[Tiffany] uses the [Steal] command

and the following information below it:

Call Common Event: Steal_Handling
Branch if 1: MONSTER1 Targetted
>Variable Oper: [0001:Steal_Algorithm] -, 1:MONSTER1_Agility
>Call Common Event: Steal_iPotion
<>
Branch if 2: MONSTER2 Targetted
>Variable Oper: [0001:Steal_Algorithm] -, 2:MONSTER2 Agility
>Call Common Event: Steal_iAntidote
<>

And there you go! Run a test battle, select your thief, and steal away!
Please ensure the test run has a thief with high agility if you actually desire to steal something. Thank you.

By HeavyBlade

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
hrm...

It seems, since this is only based on common events, it seems like it would work with RMVX and XP...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.