RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] "Camera" Movement

Rep:
Level 82
Good day, everyone.

What I'm trying to do is have the screen itself move to show a whole area before locking onto the hero. Essentially what would amount to a camera move in rpgmaker 2003.

I was able to accomplish this fairly easily by creating an "invisible" character, and simply using a "move event" to walk them around where i wanted until they met up with my "real" character, at which point I could simply switch the real character into the party and the invisible one out. That was the simple part.

The problem is that I have custom terrain set for the tileset in this area, so that you can hear footsteps when you walk. So while the "camera" is supposedly panning around, you can hear it walking. This breaks the illusion that there isn't an invisible person there. It's actually pretty funny, albeit undesirable.

Now, I've tried fixing this by making a separate (but identical) tileset which has only "silent" terrain. In the event that moves the invisible character, I used a "change map tileset" to switch temporarily to the silent one, and then switched it back after the event was over. However, for some reason, the map tileset doesn't change when the event is executed. I tested it out with a completely different tileset to see if it would work, and got the same result - the tileset won't change.Could there be some prerequisite conditions for changing map tilesets? Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.

I guess my main question would be - what's the best way of doing this?

Any advice or input is much appreciated. In the meantime, I'm going to look for alternatives.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Naore.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:41:07 AM by naore »
Current Project: Answered Prayers. (Yume Nikki styled adventure game.)

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Well, why can't you simply pan the screen?
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Let's Player
It's self-explanitory, also if it's auto-start turn it off with switches.