RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What do you like the most out of these three options?

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
BBCode FTW!
A
One track RPG where you have to do a set thing at a set time

B
Free RPG where you do a tutorial and then you can just wander around either mindlessly exploring or progressing

C
In the middle, so it's not one huge map to search through until you get deep into it and memorised where to go. Like it's set but you can go back and explore and you can go to a few, but not every new place. some must be unlocked which in turn reveal more.

A, B or C?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:46:12 PM by Toast »

Dream: >Demo: V-1.1< >Game: 8%<
MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Rep:
Level 83
All that you know is at an end...
It all depends on the person you are asking. Not everyone likes the same thing. I would personally go with option B, though. I love free roaming and sandbox games.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
A, those big games like Morrowind, although fun for the sheer thrill of killing townsfolk, theft, and money hoarding are actually the adventure game type, yes?

The thing is, I don't see how you can get that same type of feel in an RPG... and if you don't have the capability of doing things like that, I feel that freeroam is widely lost, and it just becomes another random RPG with absolutely no plot and no end, just dungeon after dungeon after dungeon...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 83
All that you know is at an end...
A, those big games like Morrowind, although fun for the sheer thrill of killing townsfolk, theft, and money hoarding are actually the adventure game type, yes?

The thing is, I don't see how you can get that same type of feel in an RPG... and if you don't have the capability of doing things like that, I feel that freeroam is widely lost, and it just becomes another random RPG with absolutely no plot and no end, just dungeon after dungeon after dungeon...

When it comes to dungeon crawling, it really comes down to how well each dungeon is done. Are they big, open dungeons with no substance? Or does each one offer different challenges, puzzles, and enemies? If you answer yes to the latter, then you have something worth playing, if the core of the game is solid and fun, with good controls.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
A or C, B is often times aimless (for me, anyway)

Edit: A would need to have a REALLY good story though.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

BBCode FTW!
Yes, option A involves getting lost a lot.

If I wasn't very clear, C is like you can do the main aims but you can also explore a couple of levels ahead, like A but you dont have so many places to get lost in.

MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
How about just making a game as you want to, instead of doing what others do? Making a game is like painting a picture; if you just follow someone's instructions line by line, it's really just their painting rather than yours.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
How about just making a game as you want to, instead of doing what others do? Making a game is like painting a picture; if you just follow someone's instructions line by line, it's really just their painting rather than yours.

but that's just the thing... How often have you seen  a free-roam rpg??? Let alone one that was successful??? I mean, an adventure game, I can see a free-roam system, but an RPG? Where everything is based on stats only?

I mean, with free-roam, you can attack from afar and utilize maps in a way that you can avoid getting hurt by tougher enemies... But if you are in an RPG? You have no choice but to take a few hits in order to dish out a few hits, ya know? And that makes free-roam difficult...

basically, if you make the dungeons progress in difficulty, you would have to play them in order anyway, and it wouldn't be free-roam, and if you don't have them progress, then the rest would be too easy...

Eh...

In conclusion, I guess that B is ok if you use the script to have enemies level up in relation to character levels...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I still fail to see why he shouldn't just go with what he'd prefer to make, linear or free-roam. As long as he's not too ambitious and going for something way beyond his level (thus either giving up due to size or rushing and skipping over quality), you'd be surprised what could work and what could fail.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I've recently fallen in love with free roam games, so I say B

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
I'd say C. Few of both.
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I still fail to see why he shouldn't just go with what he'd prefer to make, linear or free-roam. As long as he's not too ambitious and going for something way beyond his level (thus either giving up due to size or rushing and skipping over quality), you'd be surprised what could work and what could fail.

I still fail to see why you misinterpreted me so grandly, I never said that a free roam was impossible or never should be attempted, just argued my case as to why I chose A. As long as he's not too ambitious and going for something way beyond his level, he can make a really good free roam, but a few conditions would have to be met to make it actually be a free roam...

Besides, the question isn't what he should make, but rather, what we prefer.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

I still fail to see why you misinterpreted me so grandly, I never said that a free roam was impossible or never should be attempted, just argued my case as to why I chose A. As long as he's not too ambitious and going for something way beyond his level, he can make a really good free roam, but a few conditions would have to be met to make it actually be a free roam...

Besides, the question isn't what he should make, but rather, what we prefer.

And making what the audience wants is key to the game creation process/system

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That's the thing though. He's been asking dozens of questions (each in a separate topic) about how he should make a game, how big a dungeon should be or how much comedy he should use, etc. He's going too much with what we think a good game might be and not using his own intuition or thoughts about what he wants to make. I can see him asking us for opinions if he is torn between liking two or more ideas that appeal to him, but otherwise I think he should just go with what ideas he wants to do most. That's what makes it both a fun process and gives it a bit more creativity. Whether the game turns out successful or a failure, I'm just saying he shouldn't rely solely on us to tell him what to make and how to make it.

BBCode FTW!
Sorry, I just was firghtened I'd make something and it's something everyone absolutely hates and I'd get burned by everyone, I'll lock this thread and I deleted the rest. Thanks anyway though, and thanks zylos =)

MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..