RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Seperate Animations for Seperate Spells? (2K3)

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
Hi, i saw this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2sDuNFIRrM

and i wanted to know how to make something like that. He said he uses switches but i am still a little confused. Do you create a seperate spell, put a GIF animation in it and time the switches/hits with it?

Do you create two spells (one damage and one animation) where its something like When using spell show this animation and then use this spell? (like put spell animation in the character's skills and spell damage but hide that spell and make it so when you use the spell animation it triggers using the spell damage?)

Please help. to clarify i want to make it so:

When my character uses Spell 1, say he runs over there and he shoots a fire blast.

But I want my character to also use Spell 2, but with a different animation: like he disappears and he reappears and attacks the enemy several times.

Please and thank you.

Rep:
Level 81
Hah I remember that video. So basically you want to know how to make characters have different unique animations when casting different spells?

Basically, what you do is you use battle animations as your battler graphic instead of the default 3 frame animations.

To make a character have it's own unique animation, you need to...

1) Make the skill/attack animation have the character dashing/leaping forward and, at the same time, fading out.

2) Create the skill animation with the character in it. You do this by making the character dash or leap in depending on what you started with. Make sure to fade the character in. Then just use the character animation casting the spell and then the spell effect. Top it off with the character dashing/leaping back out and fading away.

I could make an example if you want.

RMRK Junior
Could you make an example please? Thanks.  (like a demo, with all the scripts and all)

So instead of the normal spell animation i put in the character dashing forward but fading out (like the game does not make the animation fade out), and then use that sprite in the actual spell's spell animation?

Also, I know this is offtopic: but im trying to make a shield where if you get hit it deals damage to the enemy but it is really frustrating to make it..

Rep:
Level 81
I'll work something up and get it to you as soon as possible. Also, about he shield. The only thing i can think of is to make some sort of condition in the battle events. Like, if a certain character is attacked, it checks to see if the shield is equipped. if it is, it deals damage to the enemy.

Rep:
Level 81
Hey, alright I just topped off this little example. it should give you a basic idea on what to do. Just run a battle in the database.

http://www.mediafire.com/?syzt7sgja96x7le

RMRK Junior
thank YOU SO MUCH :D i appreciate all the help.

so if i just want to make a spell where the person stands there, i assign the standing fade position to something i don't need like (left punch) and then set it to show left punch, then i make the spell fade in? or does it only work for "speed" things like dashing.

Rep:
Level 81
I don't really understand the question.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I do...

If you aren't going to attack physically, I wouldn't have the dash...

I mean, if you did, there would be a dash forward, a fadeout, then a fadein where the person would just stand still, away from the enemy anyway, and cast a spell...

I would suggest just switching out the animation at that point, so that the spell character would simply replace the idle character, giving it the appearance of having simply started the spell where they stood...

Alternatively, you can have then take 1 step forward like they do in FF6 to cast their spell, but still, no dash effect (that is, don't have a frame without a character graphic in it)

Hrm... Did I make that too complicated? Because I feel like I talked in circles for hours... But, do you see what I meant?
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Here's another demo that might help you. It features multi hitting if I remember correctly:
archeia.leafo.net/downloads/Bleeding%20Shadow%20-%20Cancelled%20Tech%20Demo.rar

RMRK Junior
thank you so much guys i appreciate all the help!

sorry for leaving you guys in the dust, had a little vacationthing.

i have another question: poetic, how did you put the animations for your battle spell on? everytime i try and put in a battle animation where my character does a move, it just appears as a black screen.

EDIT: nevermind i got it

and sashi, i tried but... it's really hard to get it so that the animation is exactly where the hero is standing..

poetic: im saying that i want like a special move where i breath fire but still standing and not dashing, and then maybe a special move where i stand still and heal. sashi said that i should make it so that theres no spell animation and then and then make the animation replace it

unfortunately it doesn't really work

double edit: IT WORKS! OMG THANK YOU I LOVE YOU

TRIPLE EDIT: damnit i set it to self and the animation worked but it can't hurt enemies because its targeting me.. wtf

omg help!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:25:43 AM by Tangerine »

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Rm2k3 has a bug that if you attack and the enemy attacks at the same time, your move is cancelled.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Ok, I got it, make the player fade out, that is, make the character slowly become less opaque and so they appear to fade away, then have them fade back in.

This will make the move seem like teleportation rather than running and it would look nice with a spell as opposed to running animation... But I haven't looked at the config of that script and/or event (which, judging only by the and/or, you can tell I haven't even properly read this topic...  :P)

But it would work nice if it would work...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

RMRK Junior
lol its okay, that's a good idea too cause not every of my characters has dashing

hmm.

i guess i can work around the problem of standing still and casting different spells,i could dash and let them cast the spell. thanks for the info and help.

just.. another question (sorry lol) i believe the spell cast and item cast is the same animation, so if i made the spellcast a dash that means the item cast would be a dash too?