RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] [DEMO] Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
SORE LOSERS: RIOT GRRRL

NOMINATED "MOST PROMISING DEMO", 2010 MISAOS
NOMINATED "BEST INTERFACE", 2010 MISAOS

...::: What People Are Saying :::...

"Ever played an RPGMaker 2003 game where you almost forgot you were playing an RPGMaker 2003 game? Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl accomplishes just that!" - acknowledge101

"Notice how I'm saying unique a lot? That's probably because Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl isn't like any RPGMaker 2003 game I've ever played. It takes a lot of chances with most of the custom systems and the emphasis on gameplay (and minigames!) over story, but I feel that the game fairs pretty well." - Xanedil

"It has it's own unique play style that is very well thought out and balanced and great in a survival/sandbox/exploration kind of way." - Orphansmith

...::: Storyline and Setting :::...

"When the troubles first started in "Central Ferusia", the complex where all of our nation's criminals are sent to serve their punishment, nobody batted an eyelid. We thought that the government had everything under control because the strength of our military had been demonstrated multiple times in the past. Even when the walls of the complex were breached and criminals started to escape into the streets, we believed that the riots caused by common criminals and anti-government rebels would be quickly put down, and that future generations would only remember their efforts as a ridiculous, treacherous ploy.

We believed the government when they told us that the military had full control of the riots, and sat happily in our homes as the curfews and blockades dragged on and on and on. We didn't think for a moment that the government could possibly be wrong. After all, we had the most powerful military in the world protecting us! The idea that these riots would ever cause us problems sounded like a tasteless joke.

The joke was on us.

The streets seem dead where I live, but each night I hear the riots getting closer as the military's blockades get pushed further away from the walls that were supposed to keep these criminals contained. What am I supposed to do? I'm trapped in an apartment full of gadgets I can't eat, paid for by credits I can't drink, with a panoramic view of the violence making its way towards me.

I don't care what the government tells us anymore. I'm not safe here. I have to get out!"

...::: Gameplay, Features and Comments :::...

Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl is a highly experimental game where nearly everything you do involves some kind of minigame; from searching areas for items to lockpicking doors; from hotwiring electrical equipment to dodging rioters; from arguing with NPCs to hacking into computer systems; from breaking through barriers to sneaking around enemies. Why? Because I wanted to make an RPG where character abilities aren't reliant on a lifeless table of stats, and are instead reliant on the skill of the player. Hopefully my excessive use of minigame sequences is going to achieve just that.

Battles are also going to be more interactive than in a standard RPG. In Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl you'll be able to knock weapons out of your opponent's hands, kick bookcases over onto people, throw your enemies into electric fences, and use human shields to stop enemies from being able to attack you; you'll basically be able to use multiple elements of the battle environment to get your own way. Why settle for just the weapon in your hand? Use everything to your advantage!

Additionally, most of the graphics will be custom-made for the project in a purposefully high-contrast manner that will give the game a drastically different look. The game will also feature vibrant, abrasive chiptune soundtrack. As such, there will be a strong, stylistic element to this game that may well end up being divisive, but I believe it will also lead to a very unique gameplay experience!

...::: Reviews, Images and Downloads :::...

Read Reviews Here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1158/reviews/
View The Image Gallery Here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1158/images/
Download The Game Here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1158/downloads/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:46:52 PM by Sated »

Rep:
Level 84
I've not written one of these for a while, so I thought I would just let people know where I am up to with this. The short answer is:

As you can see, the second level now has nine areas (if we don't count the vents as an area, which we probably should since they took me so long to put into action) and, if I were to make a guess, I would say it is probably 2/5 to 1/2 complete. Development is definitely moving slowly because I know, in my "heart of hearts", that I could've finished this by now if I'd had the time, but I'm not about to start regretting having a life just because my game is taking a little longer than it should be doing - shit will be ready when it is ready!

I'm pretty pleased that the visitor count for the game-page at RMN is currently at 13,652 because this puts it at over a quarter of the amount Sore Losers has (~41,000 if you count the people who viewed the original game-page). I didn't notice how much this statistic was ticking over and I think it is pretty amazing (even if the download number is a little low, but that's understandable for a demo!)

Oh...

We Were #1!

For quite a while, this game was either #1 or #2 at RRR* (based on ratings) and I was pretty proud of that (even if it was only based on 8 or so ratings and games like Three The Hard Way have many more ratings and are complete). The game has been knocked down to #8 now (one bad vote ruined the average, bad times...) but I still think we had a good run at the top. Besides, we're still in the top 10 and that can't be a bad thing!

*Shame RRR has a site that makes it hard to see this table, meaning it is fairly pointless...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:46:21 PM by Griever »

Rep:
Level 84
Thank you for moving this, whoever moved it!

---

A few people mentioned, when commenting on the demo, that the images that tell you about new weaponry didn't go into enough detail, so I have been working on improving them.

I think that the first problem was that skills weren't displayed (only the number of skills a weapon gives you was) and this meant that, in order to see whether one weapon was better than another, you had to equip it, open the menu, check your skills and then make a decision. This obviously takes longer than it actually should because you should just be able to glance at the weapon's image and make a decision. By displaying all the skills I hope that this problem is alleviated a little.

Another problem was that, because some weapons have several "main" skills (their "regular" damage dealing skills), it was inadequate to display a single type/value for the damage a weapon would deal. This is also fixed by showing all the skills available for a single weapon - a simple solution for both problems!

Here is how they look now. I think it is a lot better:

The speed statistic being there is a reference to the fact that heavier weapons will now punish you with a speed decrease. Of course, this being a "light weapon" there is no penalty, but heavier* weapons will have one. I realise that speed is a big issue in RM2K3, but I think I will be able to balance it right if I give it due care and attention!

Any thoughts, people? This is better, right?

*For the record, there will be three classes; "light", "medium" and "heavy".

Rep:
Level 81
I actually really like the style of this game. It's kind of a refresher to have a game where extreme detail in the graphics wasn't the main focus. It almost looks like a sprite comic. I'll be downloading this as soon as possible. :D

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
I actually really like the style of this game. It's kind of a refresher to have a game where extreme detail in the graphics wasn't the main focus. It almost looks like a sprite comic. I'll be downloading this as soon as possible. :D

well, i really love that spriting art, if you can call that "spriting art". I love imple graphics, in nice games. dont know why, makes me feel like they are better or something. Going to give a try on this.
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 84
Added the link to the download page at the top of the topic... saves people a couple of clicks.

Rep:
Level 84
I like it when people post nice reviews.

:)

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1158/reviews/1068/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:23:32 PM by Griever »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
This looks strangely amusing.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 84
SL: Riot Grrrl GameJolt Page: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/rpg/sore-losers-riot-grrrl/3437/

Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl has now been uploaded over at GameJolt, an indie-gaming community that - unlike RMN, RRR, GamingW, RMRK, HBGames and all the other places I tend to update - doesn't focus so heavily on role-playing games.

However, GameJolt still managed to get Sore Losers another hundred or so downloads so I thought it was about time I put Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl up there with it! Besides, there are already a lot of decent RM games that have profiles there, with games like Hero's Realm and Visions & Voices really "leading the charge" (for want of a better phrase).

If you support this project (or any of the other RM projects that are currently hosted there - there aren't that many RPGs on the site so it shouldn't be too hard to find the RM games!) then pleasepleaseplease leave some comments and ratings so that the RM community's better games get a chance to shine outside of the RM community!

Thanks guys, and expect a more Riot Grrrl related progress update very soon!

Rep:
Level 81
I played through the game today and I have to say that it's just awesome. I noticed the gameplay is more or less the same as baroque (salvaging items and using/trashing them as you go) which did add some challenge to the game. The only complaint i have so far is the whole pick up a weapon and tras the one you already have. Sometimes i lost track of the stats of one weapon and after i did a search, and got a new one,m i only found out later the one i had before was better. Maybe you could add in a secondary inventory for weapons?

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, how weapons are displayed in the demo is a little bit lacklustre so I have changed things a little. First of all, when you picking weapons up you now get an image like this:

Second of all, I am probably going to make it so you can carry more than one weapon at once, which will give battles a little bit more variety (since certain enemies are more/less resistant to different weapon types) and will also make it so your weapons appear on the item list (meaning you can check their stats if needs be).

Rep:
Level 84
I got a bunch of emails today telling me that my game profiles had been accepted on the Softpedia website and that downloads for them were now available. Needless to say, this confused me greatly since I hadn't bothered to upload them there, but then I remembered that this had happened before and felt good about myself for a couple of seconds.

Anyway, Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl, Sore Losers, Frog, The Collector and Befuddle Quest 2 (which I only developed one level for and even that was the simplest of all the levels in the game; I am not even trying to claim that I made the whole of that game!) are up on that site now. I'm not too happy about the profiles because someone has taken screenshots with the RM2K/3 font-patch and they look retarded, but it's not a massive problem...

(Funnily enough, Frog, The Collector is currently leading in the downloads chart, which is a bit weird.)

The pages are here, for reference...

Sore Losers: http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Sore-Losers.shtml
Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl (Demo): http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Sore-Losers-Riot-Grrrl.shtml
Frog, The Collector: http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Frog-The-Collector.shtml
Befuddle Quest 2: http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Befuddle-Quest-2-Charmed-and-Dangerous.shtml

Rep:
Level 84
In between testing (possibly) the best amateur role-playing game ever (Alter A.I.L.A Genesis, for those who haven't seen me ranting about it all over the forums), playing far too much Football Manager 2010 in preperation for the new release (I just have to get FC United to win a Champion's League trophy before I make the move over), trying to finally finish Final Fantasy XIII (so much optional content in such a short space of time, what the fuck!?), winning football tournaments (okay, this was a while ago, but it did get in the way!) and... well... working (that chemistry PhD thing I do on the side and all the stuff that comes attached with that) I have finally managed to get the second level of this game finished!

Spoiler for:
Now to prettify the battle-animations; all these default animations are really bugging the shit out of me!

So far I only have a few of Cheska's animations finished and, to be honest, squeezing them all in is going to be a hassle (so many skills, so few slots!)... Blerg. Give it a year and I might be near finishing (the whole thing, that is; not just the animations!)

Rep:
Level 81
I'll try it out this weekend, and Omg you're a tester for alter aila :O? So this means you've actually seen the ending? Or what happens after the demo ends?

Rep:
Level 84
Not to teast too much, but I don't plan on releasing any more demos of this game. I might release an updated version of the original demo once I am done upgrading the graphics, but a totally new demo is out of the question.

As for AA:G, I haven't finished beta-testing it yet so I don't know what happens... but I do know that it is completely finished. The full release is supposed to happen sometime in October. People are going to be amazed by it, I swear :)

Rep:
Level 84
After 150 downloads, I've decided that the current demo is so horribly outdated that it's not worth having up anymore. A multitude of things have changed since it was uploaded and seeing it being played made me realise this. I may upload an updated version of the demo in the future but I couldn't possibly say when I'd get around to doing so.

Thanks to everyone who played and commented on the demo!

Rep:
Level 84
DEMO VERSION 1.3 NOW RELEASED! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!

Updates:

- Now able to carry two weapons at once.
- Minor graphical tweaks.
- Minor tutorial and dialogue tweaks.
- Redesigned ConvoBattle and Battle sequences.
- You can now "retry" battles if you lose them
- Other minor stuff that needed fixing.

Rep:
Level 84
I've added two new videos to the gamepage.

One of them is an updated version of the (really) old battle-system video, which means that people can now see how the "Interact" skill has replaced directly damaging environmental objects, see how (some of) the new battle-animations look, see how (some of) Cheska's new character-animations look, see how much better the battles look when they don't use the gauge system and... see whatever else I have changed since July 2009.

The other video both showcases and explains the ConvoBattle system, which will hopefully give people some insight into how you should approach those types of battle. I don't want people thinking that you should just choose an option randomly and hope for the best; there is some reasoning behind the choices you have to make. I just hope that my limited writing skills don't get in the way of this system working out for the best.

For the latest video updates you can subscribe to my YouTube channel but, if I'm being honest, I don't really expect to make that many videos. Having a full version of Fraps at hand does help, though...

Rep:
Level 84
New screenshots? Let's do it!

It's a shame currency is useless in a riot because the till looks pretty unguarded.

*Insert Linkin Park Joke Here*

"So, I go to the shops to get some milk and this, like, lunatic in a fucking FORKLIFT TRUCK comes out of nowhere..."

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Definitly not going to get milk there.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 84
I've put up a new blog/review site on Blogger. I'm probably going to update it more often than I would this page because I'll probably update it with stuff that isn't really about my game (kinda like this post isn't!). I know it is just a bunch of old reviews right now but I will add more stuff in the future (honest!), so if you're interested then feel free to add me and if you have a similar blog then let me know so I can follow you back;

Also, in case you didn't already know, I have a YouTube account too and I try update it with relevant stuff as often as I can. Add me if you have an account there!

As for the game itself, I'm up to ~Level 3-18 (out of 30ish) so things are coming along nicely. Erm, when I have something more than "lol i mayd mre maps" I will write a proper update!

Rep:
Level 84
So the game was on hiatus for a bit, but I'm (kinda) working on it again now. I was gonna try and get this done by Easter but, even though Easter is late this year, I doubt that will happen.

Errrrrrrrrm... Have a new screenshot?

:)

Rep:
Level 84
Visit JAG Illustrations for more awesome artwork!
(Alternatively, go here to see even more awesome artwork!)

So, I've started working on this game again as you all probably know by now. The game's coming along really well and I'd like to think people want to see it finished but... that's not really what this blog's about.

What this blog is about is some awesome custom art my friend James did for the project. Working from a single 16-bit sprite and this drunken instruction, "Dude, just draw whatever you want!", he managed to turn out this portrait of Riot Grrrl's main character, Cheska...

CLICK FOR A LARGER ZOOMABLE VERSION!

... and it is basically amazing!

So, yeah, I'm pretty freakin' happy with it. Maybe I can coerce him into drawing more stuff with the promise of more beer (as I definitely owe him a couple of pints after this)!

Don't forget: Make sure you check out his blog!

Rep:
Level 84
Hey, guys.

As you may or may not know, WIP is planning on closing RMN in the near future. Because of this, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the best place to follow progress of this game (or to find any of my other games) would be the Gamejolt profile for this game.

I'll change the links in the opening post to reflect this. Thanks!

Rep:
Level 84
I've (pretty much) finished all the areas needed for the third level of the game, which leaves me with two more to make (although the last level will have a different format and so shouldn't take as long as the fourth). Admittedly, I need to add a couple more lock-picking minigames and a couple more battles, but you can play the whole way through the level without incident now.

Also, and somewhat luckily, I picked up on a bug that was occurring when using the "Flail" skill against the last enemy in a three-enemy battle, which is a good thing since it was replicated in all the other three-enemy battles the game already had! I need to remember to test my battle-events more thoroughly when I am going to be copy-pasting them into other enemy groups, even though I am pretty sure I'd tested that skill quite heavily already. Oh well, it's fixed now, no need to worry about it!

So, what now? Well, unfortunately, I'm now turning my mind towards a bunch of tedious stuff that I need/want to do before starting on the fourth level. Some of it is just a case of going through the database and messing with values, which isn't that hard to do so long as I am paying attention. The rest is more cosmetic, which means it'll probably take more effort to complete, especially since I no longer get to use old MS Paint for my images (I'm not going to lie; I really miss it!). I guess it's mostly a case of repeating repetitive tasks over and over, so as long as I can deal with the tedium there won't be any major dramas:

1) If you read the instruction manual (look at the tabs at the top of the page), you'll see that different types of attack are effective against different enemy classes, but IMO these classes are pretty ill-defined. They're also pretty skewed towards carrying at least one blunt-type weapon since they're never negatively effective, which isn't what I was aiming for. What I want to do, therefore, is two things:

a) re-define the enemy classes so that they make a little more sense.
b) re-balance the weapons based on the new definitions.

The differences to how the battle-system works and how difficult the battles are will be minimal, I hope. The only real effect should be that things are clearer. Clarity is important when you are aiming for a simple system!

2) The second and third levels of the game have a number of areas where you are moving to the left instead of to the right or where you need to backtrack through areas you've already visited. This makes the current layout of the GUI seem silly as it uses the terms "Previous" and "Next", which aren't always going to be applicable. Because of this, I'm going to replace these labels with "Left" and "Right" so that their use is never ambiguous, which will take a bit of time since I have a lot of different GUI overlays.

"Why do you need so many overlays?", you might be asking. The answer is simple: I'm fucking stupid. Basically, I use a single picture for all 5 commands that are on the screen at any one time, which means that every time I want a "unique" combination of 5 commands it requires a new image. I thought it would be easier to edit a single picture a few times than to position 5 separate pictures on each map, but the sheer number of unique commands I have come up with has made that an incorrect assumption. I'm not going to go back and change how this works now since it's heavily built into the way I go about creating and eventing each area, but it's still something I should remember for any future project I might make.

3) Cutscene graphics. They're currently terrible and disorganised. I really want to have image-based cutscenes (think Alter A.I.L.A Genesis) and that's something I am aiming for at the end of development, although it is not something that I'm going to do right now (because it will get in the way of "proper" development continuing). However, what I am going to do is streamline the way the cutscenes look. From now on, the organisation of each cutscene will be consistent with the others, which will make it easier for me to replace my shitty images with something custom made later on, should I choose to do so. Perhaps I can convince a certain someone to draw some cutscene images for me?*

*Probably not /sadface