RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Laptop or PC for Uni?

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Hey guys.

I'm kinda torn ATM as to whether I should get a Laptop or a PC for university next year. I'm looking at doing Civil Engineering, and I'm told by another student that for notes in class and such, a pen and paper is ideal due to the drawing of many diagrams. In that case, a Laptop may not be necessary.

I will however, definitely need a PC or Laptop for assignments and what not, plus for entertainment. What would you guys recommend (and why?)?

Cheers.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
You'll find yourself using a laptop more in Uni due to sheer portability. If not in class, then in other locations.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I just remembered I'd also need to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse if I were to get a PC.

what are your guys opinions on Dell Laptops? The one on the left here: http://www1.ap.dell.com/nz/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-15r/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-15r&s=dhs&cs=nzdhs1   Looks good. (Keep in mind, that's NZD)

Or, lower specs but around the same price: http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA21624

I think a Laptop will probably end up being much cheaper for me, which is good.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
fuck dell, they suck.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I didn't know that laptops besides Macs existed. Or mattered. P:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Just finished my first year at uni, I took a HP laptop, it lived in my room tied to the wall with various inputs, ethernet,hdmi,external cable.

But i could take it everywhere meaning i could work wherever, Everyone who had a pc at uni ended up getting a laptop to go with it so they wernt tied to their room.

I personally next year will be taking both my desktop and laptop.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Toshiba's a decent, cheaper brand for laptops.
Sony is a great, expensive brand for laptops.
But yeah, fuck Dell. Their laptops look like cereal boxes, and they're just about a durable.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:42:35 PM by Arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Asus makes decent, mid rance laptops.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I've heard good things about Acer Laptops, though I could be completely mistaken.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Yeah, I found a site called notebookcity.co.nz which stocks a few suppliers at really good prices, so I'll probs end up getting a laptop from there.

Thanks for all the help, guys.