RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ignoring map properties...

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Is it possible to make an event that ignores map properties?

I'm making a game set in the modern world. I have a city map that doesn't allow wrapping. What I would like to do is put some moving vehicles on the map. ...but I would like these vehicles to be allowed to wrap around the map. That way they can just go in one direction constantly, and I don't have to program a certain route for them.

I'm probably asking the impossible again, but what the heck...
It's not what a man stands for that counts. It's what he falls for...

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Why not just make an event that sets the move route (through an event command, not setting) for exactly the amout of squares it has to move. Set it to wait until it makes all those moves, and then use a set event position command back to the other edge of the map and repeat the event. Or, alternatively, just set up the route in the event and have a parallel process event check the X position of that event and, once it reaches the edge of the map, use the set event location command.

I'm pretty new at this, so I'm not totally sure what you mean. I've tried a couple things, but I'm not getting the results I'm after. Usually my character just stands there, and I can't move him at all. ...or the game doesn't respond to any buttons I push. Could you go into a little more detail, please? Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:16:22 AM by Eggplant Wizard »

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
Make sure you have the move route set for "this event" and make sure you click the checkbox "ignore impossible moves", else, if something gets in its way, your game will freeze.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:03:35 AM by Mikhail Faulken »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I attached a picture of the moving event (dog, or car in your case) and the check event. Notice that the dog has a set pattern - move right repeatedly - wait if something gets in its way. That's all it has to do.

The check event is on parallel process. It saves the dog's X position in a variable and it then checks it. That map is 40 squares wide, so 39 is the last square the dog can be on before the end of the map. Once he's there, it transports him back to the left edge of the map.

Got it! Thank you so much!