RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Resizing Some Sprites Properly (for rm2k OR rm2k3)-- Some Help, Please?

Rep: +0/-0Level 80
RMRK Junior
Hello, rmrk forums!

I'm making a fangame, and because RM2K doesn't have any sprites that look very much like the characters, I decided to take some sprites ripped from an official game. There are many characters involved-- here is just one spritesheet (but the same problem occurs with all the others)

And, with everything but the sprites removed (and resized for rm2k spritesheet purposes)--

But, when I import it into rm2k, this happens:

Basically, did I do something wrong? Do I need to resize each sprite individually (or is it even possible to do that?)? If so, how do I go about doing so? I'm really just wondering how to proceed from here.

Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:42:06 AM by SleepySheep »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
You don't need to resize it, but you DO need to align it properly. The game takes the sprite picture and cuts it up into an even 3x4 grid, which means it assumes that whatever is in that one grid square is the sprite you want to use. As you can see, yours can't really be cut up perfectly just like that. You'll have to do a little bit of editing to get it right.

If you like, I can do so for you so you can see an example of what I mean.

RMRK Junior
Yes, would you please demonstrate? I would appreciate it!

(And thank you very much for replying!)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
See if this works. I'm not sure how the file type for RM2K works.

Edit: Waaaaaaaait a sec, messed up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:55:55 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 83
I dont care doesnt mean I dont understand
You are making a Yu-Gi-Oh fun game ? Woa... I wonder how are you going to make duels

RMRK Junior
Um, actually--

I just got a ".bmp size is illegal" error message when I tried to import it.

Which is what I get whenever I try to import something that is not of the 288X256 dimensions.

When I resized yours to that, I got the exact same problem as before.

:(

(Virusasa-- there aren't going to be any duels-- it's the plot of YGO adapted to a fantasy RPG setting.)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Well this is weird. I'm sorry, it works for all other RPG Makers except 2K, apparently.

Try this version.

RMRK Junior
Oh my gosh, yes! It works, thank you thank you thank you so much!

Before you go, could you please tell me what, exactly, you did, so I can do it for the rest of them? I don't need a detailed tutorial, just did you cut the edges off or--?

I'm sorry for causing you so much trouble, but if it helps any, you have made me very, very happy!

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
He took the stance of each sprite (up, left, right, down) and placed them in the same place of the sprite sets in the RPG Game maker you are using.

So, paste the "Left" sprite on the "left side" of the the original (the characters used in your Game maker) template. And keep doing that until you have them all in the same places....

If that didn't make sense, I could help out more >.>
Winter is Coming

RMRK Junior
Um, yeah, without meaning to bother you, could you please do that ^^;

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Sure thing ^.^
Let me take a few screenies and such :)

Okay, first thing to do is open up a graphics program -- Gimp is probably the best now that its newest update game out ^.^
Spoiler for:

Grab your first sprite. Not the one I grabbed, that's going in the wrong way.  You need to grab the standing still pose of the sprite, the one with both legs showing and facing toward us. So grab the one next to the word "Grab"

Spoiler for:

So, now that you have the first sprite (the one I told you about) you have to get the template that works for 2000 (Which I've provided at the end of this post) and paste them onto the appropriate places -- the multi coloured checkers.

You will have to paste them in the same places on the template like they are in the sprite sheet. Here's an example. We'll name the first sprite you have to take "1" and the second "2" and so on.

Now, open up the template that I gave you and grab the first sprite I said above. Now that you have the template open and the first sprite copied, you have to click the file that holds the template and paste the sprite onto the template.

Now we need to give the little guy the right block! So, move "1" (the sprite) to "1's" empty block. Here is an image to show you what I mean.
Spoiler for:

Now save your image in a PNG format (don't ever use Jpg! Unless the game only takes Jpg! :c) and then you'll have to import it into the character's folder. So load the game and import it! Then you're done!

If you have any problems, or any questions, just post. I'm happy to help. If the sprites look small, or something is wrong about the image, take a screenshot and post it here, so I can see. It will mostly likely be because I probably got the wrong template, or I needed to make the sprites a little bigger -- but Zylos probably knows best. Don't resize!

Template:
Spoiler for:

*OH! And remember what Zylos said in reply 6#! Or rather, what he did with the template.  If you face a problem, its probably because you need to save the whole template, don't just cut out the piece with your sprite in it. :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:55:25 AM by MagitekElite »
Winter is Coming

RMRK Junior
Thank you so much, Magitek, that's really helpful and kind of you. :D

I'm a happy panda now~ Off to rearrange my sprites~

Ah, I guess I'll add resolved to the title, now?

EDIT: FUCK YOU GIMP FUCK YOU FUCK YOU
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:08:10 AM by SleepySheep »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Actually, even I had to resize a bit I'm afraid, so that it could fit in a 72 x 128 grid (which is 1/8th of the larger template grid). Kinda stupid, but RM2K is apparently pickier than I though it would be about the sprite set size. So, uh, no, I don't know best in this instance. n_n;

But it's easy enough to edit if you follow along that template, and if something goes wrong just post here and we'll redirect you. :3

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Don't add resolve until you check to see if it works ^.^

You're welcome. I will help whomever I see that I can actually help. lol
If you need to know anything else, I'll be happy to help. Well, if I know how to help, that is lol

Good luck and post back if you have anymore problems!

Oh, okay, I just saw Zylos's post.

Alright, so you need to resize. All you have to do is use RealWorldPaint, Paint or GIMP. I use GIMP and RealWorld to do my resizing. Resize them just a bit and see if they fit perfectly in the box. I would have checked to see if they needed to be resized, but I don't have 2000....

EDIT:
GIMP is great, actually. A lot better than any program. I guess you saw that it needed to be resized? Well, just increase with GIMP or Paint or RealWorldPaint and it should work. Make sure the sprites are in the checkers perfectly. :D
Winter is Coming

RMRK Junior
I KNOW

GIMP IS EXCELLENT

BUT I HAVEN'T USED IT MUCH SO DOING THAT THING TOOK ME LIKE HALF AN HOUR-FORTY FIVE MINUTES

I SHOULD'VE USED FUZZY SELECT, SHIT

BECAUSE I DID ALL THAT AND I THOUGHT I HAD IT PERFECT  BUT THEN I IMPORTED IT AND IT WAS STILL NOT WORKING BECAUSE IT WAS NOT ON THE CHECKERS PROPERLY SO NOW I HAVE TO RESIZE AND DO EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN ARRRRRRRGH

</rage>

Anyways, you guys are patient and attentive and awesome and I love you~

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Ahaha, it really is a good program. You just have to give it time. It would be easier to select a box over the character, paste into its own image with transparent background and then use the magic wand to grab the background colors behind it and then delete the background colors. And then resize. Remember to see it to "None" when you are resizing, so its not ugly looking.

If GIMP is too hard, try RealWorldPaint. :D
Or, if you are using Windows XP, use Paint. Paint sucks and doesn't work in Windows 7, so don't bother if you have W7. :c Just go for RealWorld.
Winter is Coming

RMRK Junior
Okay, I'm getting seriously frustrated right now. I've done it about three or four times now, and every time it's always just a little bit off. Also, whenever I try to go down, for example, I go down but the sprite is facing left. I'm almost tempted to find someone to just do it for me, because seriously, this is annoying.

This latest time it got a weird outline when resized and I thought it to just be part of the sprite, but it remained (bright green- ick) when imported into the game. And I know that I put it perfectly onto the checkers so I'm kinda pissed. ):

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Try deleting the checkers of colors and making them transparent. Also, are you resizing them to be the size of default characters? Checking their size might help you figure out the right size.

Or, here is another way. Open up a default character sheet from 2000 (Export it) and open it up with GIMP. Now make a new layer and paste each of the sprites of the character you want over the default characters. Now  you should see the new sprites overlapping the old sprites. Right click on the first layer -- the layer with the first sprites, which are the ones you don't want anymore -- and click "delete layer". Now you should have only your characters in the spots the old characters were in. Save the image as .PNG and make sure it has a transparent background. Now import it into RPG 2000 and test play it. If they are still a little too small, resize the sprites by 2 0r 3 at a time. Make sure the resizer options aren't on automatic pick and set to "None". And then redo the above steps and see if it works.

EDIT:
Wait...is your only problem right now how they point when you test them? Like left is right and right is left? If so, I accidentally put them in the wrong place >.>

Get the sprites formation to look like this:

It should work then. If the sizes are wrong, you will have to resize them to the proper size...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:40:25 PM by MagitekElite »
Winter is Coming

RMRK Junior
Sorry for vanishing for so long, just wanted to say-- it works beautifully, thank you so much.  ;8

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
You're welcome! If you ever need help, make a thread and I'll try my best to help you.

:D
Winter is Coming