RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Programming Languages

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Just wondering: What's the most popular programming language? And, if you were to pursue a career in programming, like, how many languages would you be expected to know how to utilize?

Also, if I don't take any classes on programming in high school, how much'll that affect me in college if I were to pursue that kind of career? Responses for both if I do or don't learn languages on my own would be kewl.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
You'd want to have a semi-decent knowledge of programming languages in general if you were to take classes at all, unless it's an introductory or something similar. But if you get good at a language quickly and can pick up more, I don't see how it could impact upon a potential future career, but it can't hurt; after all, if you are good, starting earlier will give you more time to learn new things.

You'd also want to start with something easy. I learned the basics of Ruby, C and Python, and they were all very easy I just never kept it up (except for a variant of C that I use occasionally). Move unto a more difficult language after you've learned a few basic ones, just to be able to say that you know them, and it'll also give you a good variety of knowledge which is very valuable. Also remember that you could go into a different profession that utilizes scripting, but for other purposes than just computers; the C variant that I had mentioned is used for an engineering gadget that I have. I myself find programming rather boring but love engineering and don't mind the programming for that gadget.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Hmm. Ruby/C/Python are easy? I mean, I don't find them particularly hard, but they're still high-level languages, aren't they? P: And to what extent of knowing a knowledge is good enough to say that "you know them?"

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
They get advance, definitely, but to learn the basics was not hard. IIRC id only uses C for their engines.

Don't know. The more you know the better off you are, htough.. I think after a certain point "knowing" begins to blur; I "know" spanish, but I'm not able to hold a long conversation in it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Dang it, I want Firerain in here. :mad: Not that you're bad or anything (I do thank you for your help), but, IIRC, he's currently pursuing a career in the same field. Like nao.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Yeah no problem!

My brothers are both computer scientists, and whenever I would ask them what a good start language was they always suggested Ruby, Python or C. I think the reason why is because they're all flexible, so you can do a lot of stuff the further you get into them, but none are particularly difficult to begin with.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Hmmmm. Maybe I'll learn Ruby, then. I could get into RGSS scripting, too, a little.

And your brothers are computer scientists? What does their work entail? Is it just pure programming or are there other computer-related aspects involved?

Rep:
Level 83
I use Python mainly. It is great for beginners, and I would still use it as it is a great scripting language.
But as for how many you should know, the more the better. Get the syntax down, and other basic things, and move on. I know the basics of Ruby, BASIC, and Lua. I know Python the best, however

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Yep, both of them. They've been doing computer programming since before I was born. (Oldest is 13 years older than me o.o .)
My one brother works for the university of florida, programming some form of network system. My other brother works for some company that does some form of server software and he's like system support or something.

I think a good starting point may be to dual-boot Windows and Linux. Linux will give you some more hands on experience with system management and different operating systems, and it's is much easier to tinker and experiment with than Windows in my experience.
EDIT: Do this aftr you've experimented with programming a bit. It might help you out, but also search around to get prepared for Linux. It will be frustrating when your audio stops, and you find out that there are several dozen different bugs that could have caused it to happen.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:18:02 AM by SirJackRex »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I need to learn Linux OS anyways; the internship I have this summer requires me to use the OS. P: Do you know any good books/sites that I can learn Ruby from? The "Scripts" section used to have Rubycentral.com listed, but that site's gone, now. P: A book that I can "find" easily or a site that's free'd be cool. P:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:11:44 AM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 83
google "Ruby tutorials"
If you get stuck, go to http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum42.html
The people there are nice and will help you

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
DO NOT START WITH INTERPRETED LANGUAGES.

Interpreted languages are slower and less powerful than compiled languages, and also any programmer worth their paycheck is fluent in C++.  Simply put, you want to start with C++ and expand your knowledge of the basics, before learning anything else.  C++ is the bread and butter of the programming industry and if you don't know it you're up shit creek without a canoe.

Interpreted languages are stupid easy to learn because they look like basic English, and C++ and its derivatives are the most widely used programming languages in the industry, as well as being massively powerful and expandable.  If you know C++ and programming basics (and learn about the pitfalls of poor programming standards) then making a transition to ANY language becomes stupid easy.

I'll say it again LEARN C/C++/C#
You'll appreciate it later.

I use Python mainly. It is great for beginners, and I would still use it as it is a great scripting language.
But as for how many you should know, the more the better. Get the syntax down, and other basic things, and move on. I know the basics of Ruby, BASIC, and Lua. I know Python the best, however

I'm just going to take the time here to clear something up.  Python is not a scripting language.  Python is a programming language.  There is a HUGE difference between a program and a script.  A program is the core entity you're making, usually programmed with a more base language, and more often than not a compiled language.  A script is something usually made in a different language from the core programming, integrated in order to let the end user modify things.  Another name for a script is an extension.

Ruby, Python, BASIC, those are programming languages, not scripting languages.  Lua, however, -is- a scripting language.  It was designed to enhance other programming languages and expand features to the end user.  Programming languages can be used to make scripts (Ruby and RMXP for example), but that doesn't mean they're any less a programming language.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll go back to learning C++. P: But, is learning C and C# necessary? ._. Isn't C, like, just more strict than C++ and C++ has more functions and stuffs? And I don't really know about C#.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
C# is a more GUI friendly adaptation of C++ (a step forward), and C is what C++ was advanced off of, I listed all 3 because if you learn one the others are same-ey enough that you'll know them as well.

I suggest C++.

Rep:
Level 83
DO NOT START WITH INTERPRETED LANGUAGES.

Interpreted languages are slower and less powerful than compiled languages, and also any programmer worth their paycheck is fluent in C++.  Simply put, you want to start with C++ and expand your knowledge of the basics, before learning anything else.  C++ is the bread and butter of the programming industry and if you don't know it you're up shit creek without a canoe.

Interpreted languages are stupid easy to learn because they look like basic English, and C++ and its derivatives are the most widely used programming languages in the industry, as well as being massively powerful and expandable.  If you know C++ and programming basics (and learn about the pitfalls of poor programming standards) then making a transition to ANY language becomes stupid easy.

I'll say it again LEARN C/C++/C#
You'll appreciate it later.

I'm just going to take the time here to clear something up.  Python is not a scripting language.  Python is a programming language.  There is a HUGE difference between a program and a script.  A program is the core entity you're making, usually programmed with a more base language, and more often than not a compiled language.  A script is something usually made in a different language from the core programming, integrated in order to let the end user modify things.  Another name for a script is an extension.

Ruby, Python, BASIC, those are programming languages, not scripting languages.  Lua, however, -is- a scripting language.  It was designed to enhance other programming languages and expand features to the end user.  Programming languages can be used to make scripts (Ruby and RMXP for example), but that doesn't mean they're any less a programming language.

http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/python-first.html
There you go. Alot of what you said is considered wrong here.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Yeah, tell the game programmer with an Associate's Degree in Game Design, working on a Bachelor's that they're wrong about programming.  Are you really looking to start a fight with me over this?

Python is a good language, yes, but learning C++ first not only gives you a base in the MOST POWERFUL PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE WE HAVE AVAILABLE, but it will serve as a springboard to learning easier languages faster like Python and Ruby and etc...

Also, scripting != interpretation, that's a misconception.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I'm gonna have to agree with NAM on this one. C++ is more useful and versatile than Python on the whole, and most serious companies like it more. Not saying that Python is bad per se, but learning C++ would be more useful.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say they're both pretty easy to learn, but Python is easier to master, as C++ still confuses me on the whole sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:40:07 AM by cozziekuns »

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Dang it, I want Firerain in here. :mad: Not that you're bad or anything (I do thank you for your help), but, IIRC, he's currently pursuing a career in the same field. Like nao.
que

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I should rephrase,  unless you've NEVER seen programming before, learn C++ first.

Rep:
Level 83
I'm gonna have to agree with NAM on this one. C++ is more useful and versatile than Python on the whole, and most serious companies like it more. Not saying that Python is bad per se, but learning C++ would be more useful.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say they're both pretty easy to learn, but Python is easier to master, as C++ still confuses me on the whole sometimes.

Youtube uses Python. Google uses Python. I can give you a list.

And I was giving the OP other research that he could use. And this was a professor who has programmed longer then you probably. I don't want to fight, but at least admit that what that article says has a few good points.
You think that just because it is interpreted that it means it isn't as versatile and serious? You have done no research on what it can do.
Besides, it is great for beginners for the simple reason pointed out in the article and on Pythons page itself.
It comes with a shit load of modules, and it tells the beginner what they are doing wrong when running it. When you use a compiled language like C, you don't even know if you will get to run it for two seconds without errors. And it takes much longer. That is why many professional people have said they use Python to test a concept or use it as an extension for there program.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
And I was giving the OP other research that he could use. And this was a professor who has programmed longer then you probably. I don't want to fight, but at least admit that what that article says has a few good points.

The article is making a point for someone who has never seen programming logic before in their lives.  I don't think that's the case, considering moo is getting an internship.

also see:
I should rephrase,  unless you've NEVER seen programming before, learn C++ first.

You think that just because it is interpreted that it means it isn't as versatile and serious? You have done no research on what it can do.

No, I said that C++ is MORE versatile and powerful :)

It comes with a shit load of modules, and it tells the beginner what they are doing wrong when running it. When you use a compiled language like C, you don't even know if you will get to run it for two seconds without errors.

Actually, when I build my project, it tells me where I made programming errors.
No IDE or Compiler or Interpreter can debug logic errors,  so no matter what language you use, there's always the chance that something won't work properly, even though the code is clean.  It just means your logic is bad.

And it takes much longer.

To do what?  This is a vague and weak argument without some frame of reference.

That is why many professional people have said they use Python to test a concept or use it as an extension for their program.

Extensions are scripting as I said earlier, and making a prototype or testing a concept is ALWAYS done in some easier to understand language, but they don't leave it in that language.  Once the prototype works/is accepted it's moved into something more powerful.

tl;dr - yes, python is alright for beginners to learn at first, and it's powerful enough for the web for one thing, but it lacks some of the low level control that makes C++ so immensely useful and versatile, one of which is POINTERS, and another of which is the speed of a compiled language not having to dick around through an interpretation layer.  My point still stands, any programmer worth their paycheck is fluent in a C-based language.

Rep:
Level 83
Ok. Fine. I am dropping it. But I would rather start out with an interpreted language to get down the basics, without worrying about compiling, and declaring variables, and memory management. Python does that all for you, so the beginner spends more time learning how to do the basics.

As for getting an internship, bigger companies do use interpreted languages too. Google, Youtube, and many others do.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
You'd have to build the project anyway, so you'd still have to compile.
Declaring variables is just good programming practice that you should do even with an interpreted language.
Memory Management is an advanced subject that you don't have to worry about until you learn the basics.

Bigger companies use python, sure, but LINUX is built on C.
And if you apply for a programming job and only know interpreted languages, you'd be passed over for someone who knows C, I can guarantee you that.

BTW making a counter argument after 'ok I'm dropping it' is hypocritical.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Ahaha my internship isn't programming-centered, though. P: I want to look for such an internship in the future (my dad has connections), but, atm, I registered late for stuff, so getting an internship at all was the good choice for me.

Also, I have the choice of taking up Ruby or C++ (Python seems to be on the same level as Ruby, but Ruby could be more applied to the RPG Makers so yeah, lol). Which do you recommend? NAM, you said I should do C++ if I've never seen code, but I have. As far as I know, all coding is exactly the same except the syntax is just a little different. Imo, it's like eventing in RPG Maker except you have more options available and you can be more efficient. It's just knowing the limits of the language and how to practice using it that's a problem.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I wish I still knew C++.

:tinysmile::tinysmile: