RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
H.264 (x264) Streaming Sucks

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I have videos. x264/AAC/mp4. I have JW Player, a flash based media player for websites.
My videos won't stream properly, because of the way H.264 files are composed.
There is a fix using Adobe AIR (from 2007), but what I'm wondering (Roph) is if there's a way to just tell my encoder to do this when I'm transcoding the file.

I use Avidemux (Mac), or MediaCoder (Windows).

Help.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:36:15 PM by Arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
With mediacoder all of my h264/aac/mp4 files end up with the index at the start, making them streamable over http/flash =o

You could try using SUPER, it has an option to explicitly put the index first, making it streamable.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
So it should do it automatically? Okay. I also JUST downloaded SUPER, having looked over some of your previous posts.

I just downloaded mediacoder today, and ran it once on the computer here at work. It failed, I think because I chose something stupid for the audio encoder, because at the end it said it couldn't 'mux' the audio and video. I was going to try again, but on this shitty computer, the last encode took like 40 minutes. I was going to try again on my computer at home.

Well, that answers my questions, anyway, lol. Thank, Roph!

I tried asking people at the avidemux forums. They're awful. They completely ignored my topic, but answered everyone else's. I bet I know why, now. Avidemux doesn't move the index, and probably can't, and they probably all know it and don't want to admit it.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Go to the "time" tab in mediacoder and set it to only encode like 20 seconds or something, just while you're testing settings and stuff. If I'm trying to really compress a HD movie very much then I'll do tests of just a random chunk of 5 minutes or so.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
Genius. I only wish they made MediaCoder for Mac so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth between OSs.

Rep:
Level 102
Meh, Mediacoder's developer is an asshole who with each release cares less and less about making good software and more and more about spamming his users and making $$$. It's not even open source anymore.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
MediaCoder did NOT stream. I put the file through SUPER, checked the "streaming h264" box, the file gained 10mb (I'll figure that out later), and I'm struggling to upload it now...

*finger's crossed*

WOO! It took about 5 seconds to start, but it plays, and I can SEE it's not done downloading because the dark grey loading bar is filling up ahead of the black progress bar.

FINALLY. GOD DAMN.

Thanks, Roph. I still owe you a BJ.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

Rep:
Level 96
SUCCESS!!!

The videos are not of decent size, x264, and they stream! I think I had something unchecked, or disabled in MediaCoder. I found this application that runs through Adobe Air that fixes the index locations, and I used it on an encode that WASN'T streaming, and it said FIXED. At which point, I decided to start all over and re-encode them all, and then bring them over to Mac and use the Air application to fix the indexes. But I think I did something different in MediaCoder; I started up using the setup wizard. Because once I got the new videos encoded, the Air App said "these don't need fixed, dude, you're good."

So yeah! It works! Yay!

I may give Ops Via just ONE more try, because it's still a tad artifact-y, but the other three look pretty great.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:22:39 AM by Arlen »