RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Opening sequence

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
In my attempt to make a game, I would like an opening sequence. As in characters moving about and speaking. The question is how do I start this without making an actor start an event?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Autorun event or parallel process event.

Also, the topic is in the wrong section. Which system is this for, XP? VX?

Its VX. And I'm sorry I didn't get the right forum out of 80.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
No need for the sarcasm. We just updated our forums to be easier to find and search through. I moved it to the correct location anyways. It's easier to move now that this forum encompasses all makers and not specific makers.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Either way, Zylos is right; turn the trigger to parallel process or autorun. I've attached a screenshot of where it is.

I apologize. And thank you, I figured it out. I even made the actor's sprite invisible to be changed after the opening. Unless that seems unwise?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Whatever gets the job done. lol. You could do 2 things, either faze him out with the opacity set to 0% or just make the actor's graphic non-existent until you want there to be one then change the actor graphic at the right moment. There's probably other ways. There's no real right or wrong way.

Rep:
Level 84
You won't be folding stars.
To be honest, I understand what autorun does - automatically run something the moment you step into the area - but what about parallel process? Is it easier to make cutscenes/opening sequences with?
If you want
Follow me
And I'll lead you inside
You don't have
To
Run and hide

Thanks, Sabre.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
parallel process allows other events to run at the same time, whereas autorun will prevent other events (and the player!) from updating. So, it depends. Generally for cutscenes, I prefer autorun because then there is no chance of parallel process events interfering and the player can't move his character. But when I am just doing something in the background, like updating a variable or something, then I would use parallel process so that it doesn't freeze everything else in the game.

One More question, if you please. Is there a way to put a text box on a timer? For say, 180 frames, and then it advances automatically?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Oh shoot. I think that \^ makes the text box close itself when it's finished loading and then \. is like a 1/2 pause ...and there's another one too. I might have them mixed up. In the help document in VX, it tells you. You'd have to search under the different commands you can use in text messages.

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah;

\! - insert pause, so requires user input to go past this point
\^ - Skips Pause, so doesn't require user input to close
\. - 1/4 second pause
\| - 1 second pause

So, for 180 frames, you'd want to go \|\|\|

Rep:
Level 84
You won't be folding stars.
parallel process allows other events to run at the same time, whereas autorun will prevent other events (and the player!) from updating. So, it depends. Generally for cutscenes, I prefer autorun because then there is no chance of parallel process events interfering and the player can't move his character. But when I am just doing something in the background, like updating a variable or something, then I would use parallel process so that it doesn't freeze everything else in the game.

So, parallel process works essentially like the cutscenes in Assassin's Creed?
If you want
Follow me
And I'll lead you inside
You don't have
To
Run and hide

Thanks, Sabre.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
Yeah;

\! - insert pause, so requires user input to go past this point
\^ - Skips Pause, so doesn't require user input to close
\. - 1/4 second pause
\| - 1 second pause

So, for 180 frames, you'd want to go \|\|\|

Sorry for intruding here, but do I put those symbols in the text box?

EDIT: Okay, figured it out. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:05:45 PM by TempestXtreme »
Insert something witty or profound here.

Rep:
Level 97
... You type them.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
That's something I figured out two seconds after asking...I feel silly now.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
HEY YOU! .\..\..\..\! I have a quest for you.

Code: [Select]
.\..\..\..

This appears as just  "..." but instead of having VX writing it lightning fast, it pauses 1/4 a second between dots. the \. is invisible, so if you want a period, you have to write it 2 times like this \..

All of these appear invisible in the message window.

Code: [Select]
\!
That at the middle of my example just means that the player has to press the action button to continue to read the rest of the message. The message box will stop writing text when it comes to that symbol until the player does something, then it will continue with the message until it's done or if there's another \!

So all in all, my example will read like
HEY YOU! ...
(user presses action button)
HEY YOU! ... I have a quest for you.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
Yeah, I figured that much out :) Now...how do I stop it from LOOPING the text?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
at the end of the event, create a self-switch and a new event page and continue the rest of the event on the new page.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
Thanks! Wow, this is going to take me a while to make a proper game if I'm having problems with text... :p

Oh well, I'll learn.