RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What's your Intellectual Property adress?

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Short article, so I'll quote the entirety.

The UK has just passed a far-reaching "Digital Economy" bill that gets the judiciary into the website-blocking business and orders ISPs to pass on copyright notices from media companies. It also makes it easy to expand into throttling and Internet disconnections a year from now.

The moves are explicitly done to help the UK's music and movie industries. This "help the rightsholders!" thinking has taken such hold in the government that an "IP address" can now be defined as an "Intellectual Property (IP) address" rather than an "Internet Protocol address" in official government correspondence—and no one bats an eye.

A reader from the UK wrote us with the unintentionally hilarious details. After the reader sent a letter of concern to his own MP, the letter was forwarded to the Department for Business, Innovation, & Skills, which backed the Digital Economy bill. The Department replied with a letter of its own, describing how rightsholders can find suspected infringers.

Rightsholders can "seek to download a copy of that material and in doing so capture information about the source," said the government letter, "including the Intellectual Property (IP) address along with a date and time stamp."

From the BIS letter

Sure, it's just a funny mistake on a single letter. But given the context of the entire debate, it looks like an unintentionally revealing peek into the government's collective mind on this issue. What's the main use for the basic plumbing of the Internet? Why, hunting down copyright infringers, of course!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/uk-govt-ip-address-is-intellectual-property-address.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm not sure how to reply to this.

I'm opposed to restricting the net and throttling it just by principle.  The net is a free market, open space, but I guess that's too threatening to the lush media business.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:23:17 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Same here. I'm not an anarchist by any stretch of the imagination, but the simple truth is that there's no reason EVERYTHING has to be captured in a stranglehold of red and yellow tape to be considered safe.