RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG MAKER XP HAS STOPPED WORKING.

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
Well I downloaded the trial about 8 months ago and it worked fine, after a few days of messing with it I went ahead and bought it for like 60 dollars or something and activated it and all seemed well. Well it's layed dorment for about 4 months and yesterday I had some Ideas for something new and wanted to start on a new project. Well as the topic says I couldn't even get the maker to open. I get this error when I try and run it now. (I don't even get a splash screen)

I'm on windows vista 64 bit and there is known compatability issues that I am well aware of. Remember this did work when I first got it on this sytem.

RPG Maker XP Has Stopped Working. (I then click view details and this is what it says)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RPGXP.exe
Application Version: 1.0.2.0
Application Timestamp: 432fe556
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0214b530
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1703
Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
Additional Information 3: 1344
Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae

Now, I have tried so many things that I have ran out of sorces on google and was hoping I may find an answer here. Heres some things that I have tried..

1.) Downloading from here, download.com, cnet, and wherever else enterbrains main site had a link to.
2.) Uninstalling and reinstalling several times.
3.) Installing and even patching
4.) Running as administrator with UAC on, on an administrator account.
5.) Disabling UAC
6.) Running in compatability mode for 95, 98/me, nt 4.0 SP5, Xp SP 2, Windows 2k, and windows 2k3 SP1
7.) Turning off all virus controll and firewalls durring a fresh installation, running those installations under different compatability modes.
8.) Turning on and off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for rpg maker XP
9.) Changing security option for PSIkey.dll to allow more controll
10.) Using a different RTP, I think it's 102.. durring the install it's all japanese or something either way it didn't work.
11.) Disabling windows Aero theme.
12.) I even tried making a registry entry to take out the 30 day trial so that I would just be forced to put in my information I purchased.

Well I'm officially out of ideas, I don't know what else to do other than downgrade to XP wich is not an option for me. It really irritates me because it did infact run perfectly for a long time, so I know there is a way out there to fix it. If anyone has any ideas that I can try please do share them with me. Thanks.

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
Not-so-Noob
ok, u haven't had a reply, so i'm going to. look like there is no other way to say this but... vista is completely uncompatible to your maker. you will either have to take it off your computer permenantly (for 6 months then you can re-dowload when you want) OR 'downgrade'. i'm sorry if you don't want to do either, but if you have a heart for gaming and designing; you will have to do one of these.  :'(  sorry for the news, but it had to be said.