RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Coming Spring 2010: Atmosphir

Rep:
Level 89
Atmosphir: Coming Spring 2010

This has been posted, but the POST was OLD, did not want to necropost!

What is it?

It's a free user-created adventure game. Play through thousands of diverse worlds, cooperate or compete against your friends in online multiplayer, and design your own levels in minutes.

Video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIyu-K4yig" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIyu-K4yig</a>

Website

http://www.atmosphir.com/

Screen Shots

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:17:33 PM by Mad Klown »

Rep:
Level 89
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:49:12 PM by Mad Klown »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
No, it's a game with a level designer, just like LittleBigPlanet. Even the developers call it a game.

You're not creating game elements, you're just placing objects.

By your logic, Spore Galactic Adventures is game design software.

Rep:
Level 89
No, it's a game with a level designer, just like LittleBigPlanet. Even the developers call it a game.

You're not creating game elements, you're just placing objects.

By your logic, Spore Galactic Adventures is game design software.

The focus is their editor, allowing people to create levels/worlds. Tony Hawk and Halo (couple of games that allow you to make your own sections/areas) are games as the focus is the game and not the extra feature.

With out the editor Atmosphir would be just a self sustained game created by the creators with a story, but it relies heavly on users to create a share levels. Also a game has a story, which Atmosphir does not. So it's not a game by difinition and an game creator!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:00:29 PM by Mad Klown »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Little Big Planet is a game.

Spore Galactic Adventures is a game.

Hell, Spore Galactic Adventures is more of a "game design tool" than Atmosphir. It relies heavily on users to create and share levels, adventures, game content and character. A game doesn't have to have a story to be a game. You're just putting together content for their content using the content they created.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what you consider it to be. The developers always call it a game, and it says on the first page of their website:

Atmosphir is a free user-created adventure game. Play through thousands of diverse worlds, cooperate or compete against your friends in online multiplayer, and design your own levels in minutes.

This discussion is over.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
irock feels that stencyl feels threatened :V

Rep:
Level 102

Rep:
Level 89
This discussion is over.

Wow...really...wow. Did I hit a soft spot!?

Rep:
Level 102
No, I just don't want to argue over whether this is a game or not any further, because the website and the developers call it a game.

Rep:
Level 89
No, I just don't want to argue over whether this is a game or not any further, because the website and the developers call it a game.

Yes even I know this and I am a Beta Tester. I've used it and it's not game. And to end this "debate" a video game does NEED a story (except sports and card games). Even Tetris had a stpory for those who paid attention.

Rep:
Level 102
You can't end a debate by making a wrong point. That's just begging me to correct you.

Video Game - An electronic or computerized game played by manipulating images on a video display or television screen.

Video Game - (Electronics) any of various games that can be played by using an electronic control to move points of light or graphical symbols on the screen of a visual display unit.

A video game does not need a story. You're pulling this out of your ass.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Cool. It's for mac too.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Grafikal's post was the best in the whole thread.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Do either of you even care whether it's classified as a video game or a game creator? Also, Irock, your definitions are highly deficient since both use the word game and you don't define the word game, which is clearly the word at issue, not video. I don't think he was protesting that it doesn't "move points of light or graphical symbols on the screen of a visual display unit".

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
This thread is stupid.

A videogame is a computer simulation.  The only reason people call them 'games' is because they're fun. All something needs to be a game is interactivity.  No story, no sounds, no graphics, nothing, just interactivity.  Boring game, but that's what it is.

This is a game with a level editor like Irock is saying, it's true.  Atmosphir is not a game development platform, but as a game it looks fun.  Definitely a rival to Lego Universe.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon