RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] [WIP] Aurous Tale

Rep:
Level 82
Well, most of the characters originated from the "Tales of" series including Lloyd, Judas, Bruiser, Regal, and other Tales greats. This game features Atoa's Custom Battle system, Forever Zero's Bio system, Zeriab's Quest Book, and Leon_Westbrooke's Part Changer just to name a few. You can name the Main Character what you wish. As stated in the topic title, I don't have a name as of yet. i have some of the main storyline put together if you wish to try it. You can find it at http://www.filefactory.com/file/b49ga83/n/Project_3.rar. Let me know what you think.
P.S: For Filefactory, look at the bottom for the DL button.

Story
A country, enveloped in war has lost its king (the MC's father) and in the midst of the dire situation, his brother assumes the throne to protect the capitol, Cameron Rose, and the nation. Keeping the opposing nation at bay, the new king appoints the MC and his own son as royal officers. While on a mission to protect a village under siege by the opposing nation, the MC is told of a heinous plot to overturn the current kingdom for a twisted "utopia" envisioned by his uncle. At this time, the MC is cut down by his cousin and tossed into a river expecting to be dead. After an unknown amount of time, the MC awakens on an unknown shore, alone. He treads on with no memory of what has transpired and finds himself in the mountain-top City of Angels, Aurelos, where an oracle restores his memory and advises him to raise an army of his own to stop his uncle. Now the search is on to find a new home for himself and his army before his uncle can wreak havoc upon the world.

Characters
Well, this game is going to have a bit of a Suikoden feel. Currently, there are 32 playable characters to obtain. I won't list them all, BUT I will show you some of the main story characters.

Alzac

Class: Swordsman
Weapon: Sword & Shield
Story: Betrayed and abandoned by those once called family, he seeks to raise a military force for the sole purpose of toppling the 'utopia' that his uncle seeks to create.

Seig

Class: Hermit
Weapon: Rifle (Club)
Story:After serving in some unknown foreign military, he moved to the abandoned Homestead, and until recently lived a relatively quiet life.

Therese

Class: Witch
Weapon: Broom
Story: None, yet.

Jhaf

Class: Swordsman
Weapon: Sword & Shield
Story: Searching out an old manor to use in his lecherous plans, he drifted from town to town until meeting Alzac in the Mountain Pass; thereby obtaining a solution to his quest.

Iian

Class: Fencer
Weapons: Rapier

Bruce

Class: Brute
Weapon: Gauntlets
Story: None, yet

Fere

Class: Rogue
Weapon: Greaves

Screen shots (Thus far):
Chronos Caverns Entrance:

Battle System:

Skill Blitz System:

Battle Result Screen:

Gatekeeper of Aurelos:

Aurelosian Oracle:

Mercenary Wanted Poster:

EDIT: For those who may not already have the RGSS Player, you can find it here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4af56a/n/RGSSplayer.zip . Now you may start the game-playing awesomness.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:29:37 PM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
humm..when I tried to unzip it, it told me the file was corrupt.  Apart from that you should maybe make your post a little more attractive (make different sections for characters, story, etc. and add some screenshots).

If you re-upload one that's not corrupt, I'll try it out =)

Rep:
Level 82
Okay, the download should work now. If not i also have it up on another site: http://rapidshare.com/files/373688123/Project_3.rar
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:23:23 AM by XaineC »

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Well...I can't see any of the text.  You should put the font it uses into the project folder somewhere so anyone downloading it can install the font.  What I'm not looking forward to is downloading it again just for the font.  It's a pretty big file =)

Also for some reason I can't see any graphics in your post..is that just me?

EDIT: Never mind, for some reason after I posted this all the images appeared.  So I guess you can ignore that part of my last comment :P

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Your mapping is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry boring. The sprites are really nice. Are all the enemy sprites animated as well?

Rep:
Level 82
FILE UPDATED

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Your mapping is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry boring. The sprites are really nice. Are all the enemy sprites animated as well?

Took the words right out of my fingertips.

Look dude, first impressions are extremely important, and your screenshots (more specifically, your mapping) simply don't do your game justice. When I first started reading this thread, I was impressed by the story and the characters, but was completely turned off by how... "meh" the game's world looked. Were I anyone else, you would have lost a player.

My advice, as you have probably guessed, is to focus on your maps. Try your best to make them as detailed as possible without making them seem too detailed, or worse, hard to navigate. Believe me, you will be better off in the long run.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing more soon.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 82
@Ryosis
 Any suggestions on doing so?

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
so it's kinda tales crossover game? I think you should call it "Tales of Tales"

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
@Ryosis

This site has a ton of tutorial and resources available to you. The "Tutorial Index" thread lists some mapping tutorials: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,9364.0.html.

Also check out the Screenshot thread and look at what other people have done, and how people have responded to that. Then post some of your maps there and get some feedback on them. http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,13626.0.html.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 82
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm working now. In terms of maps, they will start off simplistic, and slowly become more complex. Any thoughts?

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
@Ryosis

Usually, when I make a new map, I play another game that I consider to have excellent mapping, e.g. Ara Fell. Helps out with inspiration. I also envision the map as it would appear in 3D to help me get a feel of how it would look through the player character's eyes.

I would recommend giving my method a try. Mapping is my forte, after all.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm working now. In terms of maps, they will start off simplistic, and slowly become more complex. Any thoughts?

Don't do that. Nothing irks me more than seeing inconsistency, especially when it comes to mapping. Try to put as much time and effort into each map. Trust me on this.

Rep:
Level 82
@Ryosis
Thank you for the advice. I am now in the process of revamping all of the maps that I have done thus far. Now I have a request of you. I have uploaded the latest version of this game and there is one map that I want your opinion on. Mind you, it requires you to play through a bit, but I want your opinion of the Chronos Cavern entrance that Alzac wakes at after getting cut down. Well actually, the screen AFTER he wakes up.

EDIT: Btw the pitfall drop-offs aren't supposed to make any sense.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I'll get to it eventually, with eventually meaning whenever I'm not on my netbook.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
What I notice is that you didn't use any ceiling tiles... Now, that isn't neccesarily a bad thing, but consider this: I use these ceiling tiles, and that makes my maps notably smaller and neater looking, and also lend the "auto-shadow" that seems to be somewhat feared, but I rather am endeared by... Anyways, my maps are about the same size as yours, only the outline of my maps are two lines of ceiling, that way, it makes the walls finite, rather than giving the illusion that if you walk to the left or right, you will go to the next screen and still be in the building.

Also, because you have no finite regions, it gives you more space. More space to fill= more space that will be left empty unless you use a shit-ton of other types of sprites...

I would like to suggest you make a copy of one of your maps (such as the temples to the goddesses), and shift it down 2 spaces (by right clicking the map ID and selecting scroll), and then try out my method.

If you like it, you will have a, I personally think, better looking map, if you do not, you will have a map that you personally think is a better looking map. Either way, no one could say you didn't give it a shot! ;P

But that's just my two cents...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 82
@Sashikinaroji

I have begun to notice the same thing. Like I said before, I'm revamping all of my maps to make them a bit more....proper, I'll say. Thanks for the input.

Rep:
Level 82
UPDATE: All of the major city maps have been revamped, and are going online now! I'll work on the existing "dungeons" after I get some well deserved sleep.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Gate of Darkness
the game look boring because of sprites but its just me
Current Project Gate of Darkness visit at RPG RPG Revolution to see and DEMO COMING SOON

Rep:
Level 82
UPDATE: All Maps revamped.

Rep:
Level 82

Rep:
Level 82
Well, as of late, my current project has become too large for my mediafire account. Therefore, i have switched sites. I placed the URL in my first post.

Rep:
Level 84
I like the story. It's something different for a change. The maps are a bit empty. Add more objects like rocks and flowers.

Good Luck

Rep:
Level 82
Thanks for the input!

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
Aweasome so far
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 82

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Some of your mapping is far too open. Reduce the size of some of your interiors and place more objects inside them to make them look more "lived in". Also, I'm not too sure about the shadows you're using for objects that are "floating" above the ground. They look a little bit corny, especially since there isn't really a defined light source. You should definitely make them more transparent if you are going to keep them, but I would scrap them until you get more realistic lighting throughout the rest of your maps.

3==D This is my bellend.
Rep:
Level 83
plz make a non rar version,i wanna see the orcale :)
no

By Kraft

Rep:
Level 82
@boxxy: well, i'll be coming out with a newer version of the demo soon, so when I do, I'll upload two different formats.

3==D This is my bellend.
Rep:
Level 83
@boxxy: well, i'll be coming out with a newer version of the demo soon, so when I do, I'll upload two different formats.
sik
no

By Kraft

Rep:
Level 82
Update is up!
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2fe1c4/n/Project_3.exe
For The Non-RAR file, extract both the game folder and DL the Test.002 file into the same folder.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2fe3b3/n/Test.002
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:02:46 AM by XaineC »

Rep:
Level 84
When i extract it, it says RGSS error, and won't finish the extraction...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:47:18 PM by DarkGamer »

Rep:
Level 84
Damn, everything was going fine till i got this =(

Well, i got that in the Xinso Woods, when i had a fight with an enemy handling a candle. I battled him, and after, when the new party member was about to join... Bang...

*I am really enjoying the game, nice battle system, nice story too.

The only thing i must say i am not enjoying that much it's the mapping, lots of bugs, and emptiness, but besides that, i want you to fix that!!! I got addicted -.-"

Rep:
Level 82
Hehe ^_^; Thank. It's a good thing that it's still a WIP. Ill get right on it!

Rep:
Level 82
Well, I found the problem and fixed it. I can either upload it now or complete my current stepping stone and upload it then. What do you think?

Rep:
Level 84
lol...upload it now, so i can keep playing it, with my save file :p

Then when you can upload it again after that...Idk, it's your choice ;p

Rep:
Level 82

Rep:
Level 82
New link in first post.

Rep:
Level 84
Same part, but now this appears...

Rep:
Level 82
Ok, I think I've got this fixed. We'll see. I'm putting the RAR together now.

Rep:
Level 84
Ok, downloading again, will come back for the reports ;)

Rep:
Level 82
Okay. New Demo up.
Updates:
 New town, Ithicailia
 Map revamps
 New Blacksmith system

Notice: You may not be able to use old save files. I hereby issue a challenge to those who play. Find the best way to go about obtaining the smith items inputted so far.

Rep:
Level 82
Howdy all. I've been down the last few months, but now I'm back to work. A few upcoming updates:
Revamping the Homestead with a cleaner tileset and adding more rooms.
Implementing a few new systems.
More skills.

Rep:
Level 82
Good news everyone. I'm back again with a new demo version complete with a new save system, end game system (both courtesy of MOG) and many map and menu revamps, along with some other small things. Enjoy! The link is in the first post!