RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Newborn with a heart defect denied health insurance

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Kindest Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
At birth, Houston Tracy let out a single loud cry before his father cut the cord and handed him to a nurse.

Instantly, Doug Tracy knew something was wrong with his son.

"He wasn't turning pink fast enough," Tracy said. "When they listened to his chest, they realized he had an issue."

That turned out to be d-transposition of the great arteries, a defect in which the two major vessels that carry blood away from the heart are reversed. The condition causes babies to turn blue.

Surgery would correct it, but within days of Houston's birth March 15, Tracy learned that his application for health insurance to cover his son had been denied. The reason: a pre-existing condition.

"How can he have a pre-existing condition if the baby didn't exist until now?" Tracy asked.

New federal legislation that will prevent insurance companies from denying children coverage based on a pre-existing condition comes too late for the Tracys. The legislation, passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama this week, won't go into effect until September.

But Houston, who is hospitalized at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth, needs coverage now.

Without surgery, babies with this condition often die soon after birth, although some may live as long as a year, said Dr. Steve Muyskens, a pediatric cardiologist.

"In his case, we had to intervene in the first days of life," Muyskens said.

The defect

With this condition, oxygen-rich blood goes back to the lungs and oxygen-poor blood goes back to the body, depriving it of oxygen and damaging the heart muscle. Surgery to move the arteries to their normal position is usually done within three to five days of birth. It basically involves swapping the misplaced arteries.

"It sounds simple, but it's complex because you have to move tiny coronary arteries that in a baby are 1 to 2 millimeters," Muyskens said.

Doug and Kim Tracy, who live in Crowley and are self-employed, carry health insurance on their other two children. They said they cannot afford insurance for themselves.

They paid out of pocket for Kim Tracy's neonatal care and the baby's delivery. Doug Tracy said they were told that they could apply for insurance for Houston within 30 days of his birth.

A spokeswoman for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas declined to comment but issued a statement saying, "Our policy is that if a family has existing coverage with us, a baby can be added to the contract within 31 days without the need for underwriting to assess the baby's eligibility."

But that's only if the parents have coverage, said the spokeswoman, Margaret Jarvis. Read that with the emphasis on parents.

Lawmaker tries to help

After being contacted by the Tracy family, state Rep. Chris Turner, D-Arlington, said he asked the Texas Department of Insurance if there are provisions that can be used to help the family. He said he has not received a complete answer.

Virtually everyone can agree that no one should be denied health coverage because of pre-existing conditions, Turner said.

Tracy said he was appealing the insurance company's decision.

A five-hour surgery to correct the defect was performed Friday, and Houston is doing well. He is being fed through a tube and must learn to swallow. But he should be able to go home within a couple of weeks, Tracy said.

"He's such a fighter, and the doctors say he's got a lot of spunk," Tracy said. "The nurses nicknamed him 'Little Rocky.'"

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/25/2068267/crowley-newborn-with-heart-defect.html#tvg#ixzz0jbqXEkOh

Source

I struggled with whether or not to even post this, I started to just add it to the "10 states line up to sue over heath bill" thread.  Since it will probably go down the same road, but it is a different story.. if you guys think it needs merged, then by all means merge it.  Or say so and I'll merge it.

As for this article   :mad: ;9

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 King of RMRK2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Yeah, the kid is fucked until 2014, when the bill kicks in and he can be covered.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Irock thinks it's constitutional that this baby dies. :)
:tinysmile:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
That's just not right... =/

They're practically trying to strangle them with red tape there.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
It seems that everything is about it bieng not right and right :/

what a world ehh

Poor kid, good thing he's okay : D
bad thing his family is screwed mostlikely

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
let's keep the political slander out of this thread please.
who gives a fuck about the healthcare bill right now, and pointing fingers, this is terrible and unfortunately will probably be some kind of scapegoat.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
let's keep the political slander out of this thread please.
who gives a fuck about the healthcare bill right now, and pointing fingers, this is terrible and unfortunately will probably be some kind of scapegoat.

Why? Other than that there's nothing to say except "Oh how sad, a baby is probably going to die". Babies die all the time, and while sad, doesn't deserve a topic in a forum titled "In the News". The reason this case is special is because of health care, or lack thereof. And considering that is the "news" lately, it seems appropriate to take the discussion down that particular natural path.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
right I'm just saying we should keep the debate in the debate.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Kindest Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Bumping this cause now it's affecting my family, though not in a way so serious as this poor child.  My sister gave birth to an 8lb 3.2 oz baby boy on March 19.  When he was born, and they examined him, they discovered he had Hypospadias. This isn't a terrible thing, according to the information that the doctor gave us it can be corrected with a surgery.  Her doctor recommends he have this surgery around 9 months.  When he was born, he was immediately added onto her insurance.  Because of this, her insurance went up to $400/month.  This crippled them financially so she started searching around for other policies.  This is when she was informed that Logan wouldn't be covered because he had a "pre-existing condition".  So now they have to decide between staying insured and sinking further in debt.  Or dropping the insurance knowing they'll have to pay for this surgery out of pocket.  The total for the surgery comes to $15,000, according to the hospital/surgeons best estimates.  I've told her that keeping them insured is her best shot, even if she can't afford it.  It's still cheaper than trying to pay for that out of pocket.  The only other option is that they leave him like that.  Even if he does have the surgery, he may have to have more than one in order to correct all the issues he has.  :/  What a mess. 

I really hate insurance companies -.- 

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Would be free in the UK :) ;9
bringing sexy back

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Bumping this cause now it's affecting my family, though not in a way so serious as this poor child.  My sister gave birth to an 8lb 3.2 oz baby boy on March 19.  When he was born, and they examined him, they discovered he had Hypospadias. This isn't a terrible thing, according to the information that the doctor gave us it can be corrected with a surgery.  Her doctor recommends he have this surgery around 9 months.  When he was born, he was immediately added onto her insurance.  Because of this, her insurance went up to $400/month.  This crippled them financially so she started searching around for other policies.  This is when she was informed that Logan wouldn't be covered because he had a "pre-existing condition".  So now they have to decide between staying insured and sinking further in debt.  Or dropping the insurance knowing they'll have to pay for this surgery out of pocket.  The total for the surgery comes to $15,000, according to the hospital/surgeons best estimates.  I've told her that keeping them insured is her best shot, even if she can't afford it.  It's still cheaper than trying to pay for that out of pocket.  The only other option is that they leave him like that.  Even if he does have the surgery, he may have to have more than one in order to correct all the issues he has.  :/  What a mess. 

I really hate insurance companies -.- 
I really hate bigot, bloodthirsty companies.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
That's why you should be able to purchase across state lines. Health Insurance companies have nearly become monopolies.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
That's why you should be able to purchase across state lines. Health Insurance companies have nearly become monopolies.

This too.

That's why we need a way to force prices down, or remove a lot of the stupid restrictions that cause stories like this.