RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Anybody playing FF13?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
You want to play more to see what happens next in the story. This is the biggest difference in not only western v. eastern RPGs, but all game types. (Think Metal Gear)

MGS's storyline has been pretty convulsive and generally in disarray. The games are generally known for actually being fun, with plot cutscenes inbetween juicy bits. Plotholes and general lack of sense for what-the-fuck-is-going-on-NANOMACHINES left MGS pretty beat up, especially that postmodern mess that was MGS2.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Those games had the exact opposite effect on me. I played most of them on very easy just to see the story.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Huh. I guess I did the same to Snake Eater at a certain point, mostly because I wanted to see more of The Boss. Other than that i've always just been SNEAKAN GAMES with them.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Most of the plot holes in MGS can be explained away if you try hard enough. Some parts you just have to disregard - parts which Kojima admitted he had no idea what he was talking about when he wrote them. However, no matter how batshit insane the plot of each game and the series as a whole is, it's a whole lot of fun. I've come out of MGS2 twice now and each time I've not really had any idea of what happaned. The games are pretty much self-aware of how over the top and insane they are though, so it's very easy to just say "Holy shit!" when Ocelot reveals he's a triple+ agent.

As for Final Fantasy 13, my complaints of linearity stem from the fact that it is literally linear. The paths are hallways that follow a pattern of walk, cutscene, miniboss, cutscene, walk, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, boss, cutscene, repeat. The pattern sticks out like a sore thumb eventually and I grew very bored of it. I am not pretending previous Final Fantasies were anywhere near as open as a Western RPG, but at least the games had variation in their dungeons, mini-games and sidequests to give you something else to do when you've grown sick of walking and battling and watching cutscenes for 20+ hours. I don't think the plot (fal'Cie! l'Cie! hope! fate! Focus! Pulse! Cocoon!) is really enough to hold your interest. At least, it wasn't enough to hold mine.

I'm not calling the linearity the biggest problem of the game though. It's nowhere near the biggest problem! For me, that would be the messy plot during the first 10 hours paired with the wonky characters that give me absolutely no reason to care for whatever happens. Vanille's voice actor also ruined every scene she appeared in for me as well. The battle system also extends battles for far too long despite S-E's attempts to develop a fast paced turn-based battle system, without there ever being any real challenge.

I had a lot of problems with the game. No towns was not one of them. Linearity was a very small problem. It being a bad game is probably what made me dislike it, in the end.  :police:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:20:30 PM by chewey »

Rep:
Level 98
Are you honestly not exaggerating that the whole game is just one long hallway?

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Are you honestly not exaggerating that the whole game is just one long hallway?
Have you seen the strategy guide for this game? 'Walk down this straight line until you get to the end.'

Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it feels forced. The narrow bridges you walk on for most of the introduction feel forced, seeing as you're in what appears to be a huge city. Walking on thick, woody growths through a huge forest was also pretty ick. Most of the Lightning/Hope parts felt well done though, and at least their straight, narrow path mixed it up a bit by doing some zig zags. They even made multiple paths through the area, but all unnecessary paths were conveniently blocked off by a barrier.

Yes, for most of the first 20 hours of the game, you'll be walking from A to B in what is mostly a straight line.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Spoiler for:
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 84
All Hail the Motherboard.
Honestly, im in love with this game, except the chapter 11 boss(40 hours) which  seems to be near impossible from the forum posts i've been reading.
Arlen made a good point, you're always rushing to get somewhere if the game is open like you guys want it to be. Honestly, Without Fast Travel in Oblivion i'd probably break my xbox.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Yeah, uh, by linear I didn't mean "Wow this story is so linear, you just progress from one part to the next" I mean the maps - the game itself - is literally linear.

At least in previous Final Fantasy games you got the illusion that you were exploring huge dungeons: you could take one of a few paths and ultimately, of course, only one was the right way but you would often be rewarded with finding treasure by taking alternate routes and doubling back.

There's nothing like that here. There's also absolutely nothing to do for at least a large portion of the first disc except continue down the long hallway that apparently is the world you're in.

And how would the game being open make you rush to get places? I'd go still go at my normal pace. There's no timer or anything.
:tinysmile:

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Wow. I went the the FFXIII wikipedia page when I first opened this topic, maybe an hour ago...I just noticed this and haven't refreshed the page to see if it's still there.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I always love a good public backlash-ing.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
FFX was linear but to a point, but the levels were not straight fucking lines, also the battle system was not horrible.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Very good to find somebody hated the lyrics just as much as I did. Not good at all.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award

ZP reviewed it. Wasn't expecting that.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Very good to find somebody hated the lyrics just as much as I did. Not good at all.

The chocobo theme was the worst thing I've ever heard in a Final Fantasy game. Almost.
:tinysmile:

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I hate Yahtzee's reviews. He's not any good.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I just tried out a bit of this game, and I turned it off before the first part was over.

Rep:
Level 94
Late to the party, but I finally spent a little more time with this, and I figured out what's wrong with it:

It isn't Final Fantasy.

It has nothing in common with any of the other games, aside from small things. None of the original creators, aside from Amano, had anything to do with it. Once I realized that it wasn't a Final Fantasy game, I actually started liking it more. Sazs or whatever. I like him.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I didn't like the game because of it's marketing lol. I blame the shitty pop/hiphop girl singer for that. I would have liked either some sort of modern fantasy or something that suits the game - but hiphop or pop or whatever the hell was playing should never ever be apart of a FF game. lol, so that's why I didn't look at it.

edit:

here -
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABsJgxZH-Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABsJgxZH-Q</a>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:04:41 AM by grafikal »

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I got it 'cus it was on sale, it's alright though i don't like the battle system at all :/

Though i can't take snow seriously after learning that he voiced Excalibur from Soul eater for the English dub

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFUBz8l5jQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFUBz8l5jQ</a>

All i hear is this song

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
hahaha nice

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
They overcomplicated FF13. I still haven't gotten used to Optima Change :(

But it's not that much of a mess -.-

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I'd like to restart ff12 really soon actually. lol. If I could find it - i finally moved out of my apartment and don't remember if i took it with me :|

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Auto-Battle -> Paradigm Shift -> Auto-Battle -> Paradigm Shift -> Auto-Battle -> Item > Phoenix Down -> Auto-Battle -> STAGGER -> Auto-Battle -> Auto-Battle -> Auto-Battle -> Victory! *****