RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[SOLVED!] - Importing "Hermes" (Advanced Message Script) to Zelda Starter Kit

Rep:
Level 82
I played the Song of Storms and my room flooded!
For RPG Maker XP.  ;D

The forums rules ask for giving good details about my problem. First of all:

Zelda Project (aka Zelda starting kit) has already included the "Advanced Message Script". However, the "Hermes", a evolution and nice improvement of AMS itself has much much much more features on text messaging... But it conflicts a bit with the Zelda Starter Kit. Here I need help  :'(

Can someone give a look at it? I will owe you my biggest thanks in my life. I put 1,8 year of efforts to my project and I found that Hermes will solve ALL of my issues with text messaging art... Because i give big care to the project and the beta testers loved it already.

Hermes's script seems really easy to understand, as i see its commands/script entries shorted, well written, per tag (group) and has many info comments that expain you what each part of the script does.

Hermes itself is only autonomous (1 page in the Script Editor of RMXP, you don't have to edit other scripts so to make it function).

My problem is the following: I successfully place Hermes script to the Zelda project and i can run the game without errors.

But it crashes if I get a message by reading a signpost or talking to the NPCs, etc. If I then close the game and open the Script editor, it points me to the line of the script's page where the error occured:    "    self.contents.font = $msg.font.dup"

Can someone fix the small errors so we can finally enjoy Hermes with my Project Zelda?   :D

I will highly appreciate it as I always fail to understand ruby language well.

If someone is interested to check, I can give you link of download of my project zelda with Hermes installed to it.

You can check "Hermes" here  (Review page, Downloading links for demo and script):

http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=34922.0 (a review page about the script Hermes - however the download links for its script are broken, so, check the link below:)
http://www.uglyhorst.de/rPG Maker/rGSS-Scripts/hermes/hermes03c.zip    (working link if you want download here the script)
And, if you are interesting to see yourself a demo of this nice script, here is:
http://www.uglyhorst.de/rPG%20Maker/rGSS-Scripts/hermes/hermes03a-demo.exe    (download here the demo of the script)

=====================================================================================
ISSUE SOLVED!
=====================================================================================
Thanks to the excellent help we received from derula, the author of this excellent script, the solution was very easy:

How to install one of the best Message Texting scripts for RPG Maker XP to Zelda Starting Kit:

Simply, install Hermes script and then go to the very first event on the very first map of Zelda Project, where character is firstly teleported when a new game starts, and add the following command to the beginning of that event.

$msg = Hermes_Global_Settings.new

This will solve all the issues and make Hermes to be fully functioning!

The source of the issue was the custom Main Title Screen of the Zelda Starter Kit, and especially if the way some custom Title screens have been written is poor.

Thanks to derula, finally is possible for the Zelda fans to enjoy this excellent script made by him!

Hehe, enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:18:42 PM by SilentResident »
Create, Share and Play your own Zelda 2D games with the Updated Project Zelda Engine!
The official website here: projectzeldaengine.freeforums.net
Download it here: www.rpgrevolution.com
Download it here: www.rmrk.net
Download it here: www.rmxpunlimited.net
Download it here: www.creationasylum.net
Download it here: www.zfgc.com