RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
CSS Question

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'm re-making my website, again, but this time I'm making sure it holds up to validation standards, and working almost entirely with CSS.
Meaning, all pages refer to one css file, and the html markup and tags should be identical on every page, with only the text content being different.
But I'm sure you knew that.
Anyway, I have a link bar. This link bar is full of Div's, and each div is a box that's a link taking you to a different page. The background of these div links is set up all in css.

Eh, I'll just give you the code..

Html:
Code: [Select]
<div id="links_wrapper">

<div id="link_home"><a href="index.html">Home</a></div>
<div id="link_about"><a href="about.html">About</a></div>
<div id="link_audio"><a href="audio.html">Audio & Scores</a></div>
<div id="link_video"><a href="video">Video</a></div>
<div id="link_contact"><a href="contact">Contact</a></div>

</div>

Here is the CSS for the wrapper and just ONE of the link divs:
(the background color is just in case there's lag loading the background image, to avoid ugly color clashes before it's done loading.)
(i.e. the background image is the entire size of the div, if you needed to know that.)
#links_wrapper {
height: 24px;
width: 780px;
margin: 2px auto;
}

#link_home {
background: #081472;
background-image: url(images/button_home.png);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
float: left;
height: 24px;
width: 154px;
margin-left: 1px;
text-indent: -9999px;
}

#links_wrapper a {
display: block;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
text-decoration: none;
}

#links_wrapper a:hover {
background: #00b060;
filter:alpha(opacity=50);
-moz-opacity:0.5;
-khtml-opacity: 0.5;
opacity: 0.5;
}

My question is this: Is there some CSS psuedo class element or whatever that will look at the html file name and change background accordingly?

Like, when it's on index.html, the background of #link_home is different.
Or, more clearly, when you're viewing about.html, the background of #link_about is different.

You know, to reflect to the website user what page you're currently on, aside from just using header text or html title text of stuff like that.

I figured I'd ask here, since you guy are usually pretty awesome with this kind of stuff.
But if you don't know, don't sweat it, I'll ask someone here at the university if they know.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
On each page (say contact.html) give the current link an extra class. Such as <div id="link_contact" class="link_active">.

Then in your css:

.link_active {
whatever-shit: here;
}

=o

If you want to go for ultra-anal correctness it's probably better to use a horizontal list and consolidate your CSS (I imagine you have alot of duplicate properties in that css) but who cares, lol. I don't use it for rmrk's menu.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:32:37 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
Each button has a different background to it (the text is included in the png), but I guess I could do that and just do a transparent color overlay or something.

Thanks.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Code: homepage [Select]

<ul id="navigation">
   <li class="home_active"><a href="#">Link Home</a></li>
   <li><a href="#">Link About Page</a></li>
</ul>

Code: aboutpage [Select]

<ul id="navigation">
   <li><a href="#">Link Home</a></li>
   <li class="about_active"><a href="#">Link About Page</a></li>
</ul>

Code: css [Select]

li.home_active{
   background:url('home-nav.png') top left no-repeat;
}
li.about_active{
   background:url('about-nav.png') top left no-repeat;
}

of course you'll need to adjust the LI's to have enough spacing to show the background image.

I may have totally misread your first post though haha. BUT you don't want to state all the CLASS names to each LI on every page. So when it's your contact page, only your contact LI link will have the class
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Rather use background positioning.

Do something like this for your link images (probably better to use top/bottom):

Don't create an exctra "active" class for each and every link, not only does that require an extra image to be loaded on each new page (with positioned backgrounds the default / active states are all loaded as soon as somebody comes to your site), as I said just have an extra class.

#links_wrapper div .active {
background-position: 0 -32px;
}

Assuming your link images are 32px high =o

Something like how the image rollovers work here.

Then it's just a case of adding an active class on the end of your current ones.

<div id="links_wrapper">

<div id="link_home" class="active"><a href="index.html">Home</a></div>
<div id="link_about"><a href="about.html">About</a></div>
<div id="link_audio"><a href="audio.html">Audio & Scores</a></div>
<div id="link_video"><a href="video">Video</a></div>
<div id="link_contact"><a href="contact">Contact</a></div>

</div>
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:49:11 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Roph's right :)

background position is something I've never learned to adopt :(
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 96
Roph, that's genius, thank you. :)

Rep:
Level 96
Except it doesn't work. I made the doubled buttons like you suggested, and if I put background-position: 0 -24px; in the #link_whatever's properties, it works, so I know I'm using the right code.

But when I put it in an .active class, it doesn't work. It also doesn't work in my a:hover block, either...
...and no, I didn't leave the background-position code in the #link_whatever blocks, I removed it completely, so it's not like it's getting "move the background" messages from more than one place.

edit: Strangely enough, it works in Dreamweaver. But when I test the page in firefox or IE, it doesn't.

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. I was using .active and a:hover at the same time. So I WAS sending the "move background" message from two places. Derp.

another edit: LOL but I think I found a way for it to work, though it's incredibly cheap. I'll make a third tier for the buttons, another at the bottom, that's identical to the one above it. That way I can use the a:hover trick.

So the button images will be:

Text
Inverted Text
Inverted Text again

lolololol

...OR I could be fancy and make a third color scheme just for a:hover and make the background-position: 156px 0;

so it would be

Text               | Hover text
Inverted Text   | Hover text

edit: nevermind, it's not working. I'll just use transparency effects on a:hover instead.

Thanks for your help, guys!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:41:10 PM by arlen »