RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Recruit] The Phoenix Prophecies Looking For Talented, Self Motivated Designers

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009

Thanks for taking a peek at my recruitment advertisement for Final Fantasy: The Phoenix Prophecies.  If you're interested in working on this project, feel free to read through.  Have any questions?  Feel free to contact me via the information in the final section of the ad!

Final Fantasy: the Phoenix Prophecies was originally the video game manifestation of my senior thesis titled "Positive Continuity: The Revolution of Non-Episodic Role Playing Games."  Within that thesis, I interviewed several individuals involved with the Final Fantasy, Baldur's Gate, and Xenosaga series to complete the project.  I walked away from the thesis with a greater understanding of just what it meant to be a member of those series.  Especially from the designers of Final Fantasy that I had the fantastic experience of speaking to, I was able to grasp the concept of a series containing continuity despite a complete change of characters, politics, and in some cases, time and space.  Inspired by my findings, I picked up the game design tool I was most comfortable with, RPG Maker 2003, and went to work on a fan game that would eventually become Final Fantasy: the Phoenix Prophecies.

Currently, the team consists of myself and RPG Messiah, owner of GnGameDev.com.  My partner, though, has been very much lacking for time over the last few months and it looks as though that trend will continue.  Because of this turn of events, I'm looking for a fresh face or two (or three, or four...) to help me get this game finished.

Map Designer

Roles and Functions:

The Map Designer is responsible for taking abstract concepts and putting them into beautifully articulated pieces of 2D art.  More often than not, the Map Designer will be afforded great flexibility in the types, size, and functions of the maps that he or she designs.  A sample assignment might look like this:

"I'm looking for a cave structure using tile set X.  It needs to have a dark ambiance and contain plenty of water features.  The structure should be a total of 8-10 maps of various sizes, and at least half of them should have enough space for battles."

As you can see, you're afforded a great amount of freedom.  I don't want to be taking people away from their strengths, and I think by taking this route I allow you to continue to do what you do best: create. 

Composer

Roles and Functions:

I am not blessed with a keen musical ear, at least with creating my own pieces.  That said, I'm looking for someone who has passion for music and the ability to craft music of varying moods and tempos.  Because I don't know much in the way of music creation, most of my requests will be rather vague and focus more on emotions and speed rather than technique.  A sample assignment may look like this:

"I need a theme song for an individual slowly descending into madness.  I think I'd prefer piano for this piece, though any instruments you feel bring out the atmosphere would be even better.  If you write a piece shorter than 3 minutes, would you please make it loop?"

Like the Map Designer, I afford the Composer a great deal of freedom.  We'll work together to create a powerful score for Final Fantasy: The Phoenix Prophecies.

Battle System Technician (Events)

Roles and Functions:

The Battle System Technician is an individual with great talent for event scripts in rm2k3 and a desire to work with an Action Battle System.  The system is already crafted and ready to go.  I need the Battle System Technician to use the existing system to create unique monster encounters through the Kingdom of Nafein and beyond!  Movement, attack styles, and monster statistics are all concepts that the BST has to be proficient in developing.  Balancing monsters to players will be a key part of this job, but don't think you'll be doing it alone!

Moreso than any other position, this job requires constant communication with me, the author.  If you need new switches, new variables, new sprites, I need to know so that I can afford you the space in the most recent version of the project.  Furthermore, if you think you have a suggestion that will make the system flow more smoothly, let me know as soon as possible so I can template it!

For all positions, you should meet at least the following requirements:

-At least 1 year working with RPG Maker (rm2k/rm2k3/rmxp/rmvx)
-Windows Live Messenger or equivalent program able to communicate via MSN addresses
-Self motivated.  I won't be in the room with you to get the job done, you'll have to find the strength of will to pull through
-Detail Oriented. The less little things you mess up, the less little things I have to correct
-Communicative. This is important. Don't think that just because you're a Map Designer or Composer that you don't have a say in other areas of the game.  If you have a suggestion, I want to know about it!  I'm not going to catch every mistake myself and I certainly have room for improvement!

For Map Designer applicants, please send me at least three screen shots of your work, dress to impress!

For Composer applicants, please send me at least three midis/mp3's or your original work.

For Battle System Technician applicants, I'd appreciate screen shots of a working event system you have created OR screen shots of sample code.

There is no competition for positions, so no one should be stressed out about that.  I will take any and all individuals who display the talent and dedication it will require to get this project done and done right. 

Despite all the rumors, I have not and will not cancel this project.  Too much work has been put into it.  I'm a firm believer that every person on this planet has the capacity to bless this Earth with at least one piece of creative media that makes a lasting impression.  I think this game is mine.  It's going to get done.

To contact me with questions or applications, please PM me here on the forums, leave a reply in this thread, or IM me on MSN at:

madriel222@yahoo.com

Thanks for reading, I can't wait to hear from you!

Rep:
Level 83
Sounds like fun, even though I don't think we need another FF fan game.
I would join, but I am a scripter, and I really haven't touched VX in a month. (Although the programming language I use is very similar so..)
Hope you find some help

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
It's an RPG Maker 2003 game so there is no scripting.

@madriel:
I wish you luck with recruiting some talents ^_^

Rep:
Level 83
Well you can look at eventing just like scripting, except more limited in commands you can do.

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Sounds like fun, even though I don't think we need another BAD FF fan game.

Fixed that for you =)

I think I'll be able to avoid a cliched, "just another" fan game.  Thanks for your concern!

@Zer
*hugs*

Rep:
Level 90
Woah mad. You recruiting people? Sorry about a late reply to this but I would tptally make music for you anytime. You have my MSN messenger name I believe. If your interested let's make it happen! :D

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
*Bump* Still looking for people, particularly those that want to map or help construct battles.