RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Locking/Unlocking Equipment & Monster Battle Script [2K3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
Hello all! Another quick question from me. Now, say that I want to have 2 characters join the party (temporarily, though you can get them much later on in the game), but I don't want the player to just unequip them and steal their equipment. Is it possible to lock those characters equipment without having to go into the Hero tab and using the Lock Equipment function there? Or do I have to make like a copy of that character and use that for it?

EDIT: Just have one more question to ask which is important. Say that once I get a boss down to between 0-45%, I want her to say something before killing that off, revealing the hidden boss (same boss, but more beefed up), and going from there. Or say have like 4 turns pass, then have a boss say something, do an animation, and have a party member join, then 6 turns later, boss speaks again, last party member joins, and then kill off boss (reveal hidden boss. Same boss, but stronger version), and go from there. How would I go about doing these? D:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:19:21 AM by Xenomic »

pokeball RoyOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 82
My insanity keeps me sane
Copy of the chara is the easy route the other is over complicated and messy and doesn’t always work.

Go to monster groups for battle events, in trigger you put your 4 turns or 40% hp
Then in the box bellow you can add face graphics, message boxes, show battle animation, show hidden monster and change party

There’s more then one way to do what you want. Say 4 turns pass the event kicks in monster says it's bit then it turns on a switch. in the monster action list you would have had to have added an action called transform, set it too priority 100 and precondition switch, your monster will then on it's turn, turn into the new creature

The other way is starts off the same except you hid the new creature on top of the one you start off battling, you do this by right clicking on it in the monster group tab and selecting invisible. So then after it says it's piece, you show a battle animation, to hide the change over. During this smoke screen you show hidden monster and change condition of the previous creature to dead to get rid of it. If you really want to go all out make the battle animation look like the creature changing into the other.

oh there's page buttons in the monster group tab too so you can add more then one event, like one that comes 6 turns later, you can work it out from here I do believe,  :lol: Enjoy!
Insanity is the Emergancy Exit, so smile… It's the only way out alive

Rep:
Level 85
Alright, so here's an issue. Say I want my boss to say something when the entire party is KO'ed. Now, I have it set up so that the trigger is as follows:

Turns Elapsed [1x]
Party Exhaustion [100]

However, it seems that this doesn't trigger the message at all and just immediately goes to the Annihilated message that I don't want to come up. Yet if I put the party exhaustion at anything OTHER than 100, it'll come up. Any idea how to set this up right?

pokeball RoyOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 82
Hmm... thats tricky.

I think the main problem is the exhaustion formula, I don't think it ever gets a 100% due to it looking at both HP and MP, so you could set it to between 99 and 100 (or a number you know that works and the boss can finish you all off in one go) and have the boss gloat at the start of the go that it kills the hero. under conditional branch there's monster /dropdown menu/ is able to act. This then has the problem of the boss doing a crit or an aria attack and killing everyone before it can gloat.

As an alternative you can use the custom defeat handler, if it's being run by and event (being a boss I assume it is) It will drop back into the map, and the boss can gloat there. you might need a charaset for the boss or use a picture for a big one, and the heroes laying about on the floor.

I don't think it's possible without rewriting 2k3's programing code

Rep:
Level 85
Awww....I was hoping there'd be a way of doing it, since I remember I did it once before I believe (without exhausting MP), though I'd have to replay through my beta to see if it actually still works. If not, then I'll have to move the gloating script to the map afterwards. Speaking of lying down sprites, I still need to do those. Thanks for reminding me on that D: lol

pokeball RoyOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 82
Well I didn't say it was totally impossible... here's an idea, if you don't have a full party you could add an invisible hero as the party is defeated, then do the gloating and then remove the invis hero, battle ends.

Try that, if you don't have a full party

Rep:
Level 85
Alright, I'm confused here. I'm assuming making an invisible hero would be just making a hero in the Hero tab that has no graphics, then once the party is defeated, put that in the tab for the gloating at the start, then at the end, remove that hero, right? Since I don't see any other way for adding an invisible hero. Though it seems that when I tried that, it still doesn't work fully BECAUSE of the exhaustion formula, unless I need to make the attack that kills the party also drain all of their MP too....hmm....

pokeball RoyOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 82
Your assumption is correct, if only there was a way to check the condition of a hero...

Rep:
Level 85
Alright.....I tried to make an attack that drains both all HP and MP, but......the attack kills but DOES NOT drain all MP for whatever reason (yes, I have the box checked too.....I dun get it). Still doesn't work. Ah well...guess I'll just have it after the battle then : /

pokeball RoyOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 82
Idea!

You have a move that attempts to wipe out or TPK's the party right?
Here's the beef!

In monster behaviour (the move list for the monster) change your killing Action so the "action turns on switch" box is ticked and set a switch for it. Then under action you want basic/no action

Now in M. Groups under the correct group you want trigger switch.
Thus now you can show a battle animation, change hp, change Mp or change condition!

I tested this method and it works, sorta if you say change party condition/death then put face graphic then a line of text, the line of text makes it up briefly before the killed message takes over. So we make a new condition! We make it look as much like the death condition as we can, but we can't restrict actions, that will cause the killed message to turn up. Then back in the monster group, after giving the new dead condition, change hp entire party, decrease fixed amount 9999, do not tick hp reduction can kill target! now we have the party looking dead with only 1 hp, after all dead people tend not to listen so monolog now to finish them off! Then you can inflict the real death condition to finish it

One more thing

While I was playing with conditions I noticed under additional effects there's one that stops equipment from being changed. if you was to make a condition that was hidden, by this I mean for all proposes it looks like the chara hasn't got a condition so you call it normal and make it the right colour etc. by adding or taking away this condition you can control if the characters equipment can be changed.

there are two issues with this that I can think of 1: any event that has the complete healing command will remove this condition, fixed by making custom healing events or just re-adding the condition after the heal as part of the same event. 2: it will show up in battle if it is the same priority as the other conditions they can get, so if say they were poisoned it would toggle between showing normal and poisoned, I think this id fixable by setting the conditions priority to 0.

Ha ha! I think I’ve solved it all! *snoopy dance* Cheers!

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
The alternative solution to the equipment problem is to make the items cursed. Because this is RM2k3 you can do that, I'm not sure 2k can. If you intend to have the same equipment available later, just make copies of the items just for the temporary states of the characters. When they join up for real, make sure to remove their equipment and replace it within an event, or they'll still have un-removable equipment.

pokeball RoyOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 82
Didn't cursed have other side effects other then not being able to un-equip it? Or did you have to code that yourself, I honestly don't remember.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:48:05 PM by Roy »

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
No, cursed equipment to my recollection simply makes it unequippable upon equip. The point to this is to catch players off when using the equip screen. The only way to remove them is through events, so the creator has to make a "curse remover" themselves.

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
just make the equipment only usable to those characters. So no point of unequiping them...
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week: