RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Solo Competition

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
So, I went to a solo competition yesterday and played this (Derek Bourgeois Trombone Concerto) -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iueBRU6PewM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iueBRU6PewM</a>

I didn't place (1st/2nd/3rd) which kinda ticks me off, but whatever. What really pisses me off is that I gave an amazing performance (especially for my age) and the only issues I had were some memory issues (couldn't remember some of the runs in the end, but that's only supposed to be one small part of the score) and one sport my articulation got shakey (the beginning of the double-tongued section was a little off). What pisses me off, is who got second place. It was this other trombone guy who (is good in his own right) BUT, when I was listening to him practice I couldn't tell it was him. It SUCKED. He was playing part of the Rimsky-Korsakov concerto

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TgRTQgtnQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TgRTQgtnQ</a>

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE this concerto as well, but it sounded like a freaking middle schooler was playing the hardest piece he could (this was a high-school competition).

It pisses me off soo much.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah, the difference in difficulty of the pieces is obvious. Judges are whack, though. They'll judge on what they want. I'm not sure if you meant he sucked at playing or if he sucked for playing that concerto. If it's the latter, then it might be he played it exactly as it was written so the judges would have preferred someone who did an easier piece with greater mastery than a harder piece with less. If not, idk, LOL

I like the first piece better, btw ;)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Wait, so are you the one playing in the bottom video? or is it that guy you don't like playing?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Neither of them were in either of the videos if I deduced things correctly. The first one is a professional dude, me thinks. Plus, both of them were uploaded at least 2 years ago. I think they were just to show how the pieces were different.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Neither of them were in either of the videos if I deduced things correctly. The first one is a professional dude, me thinks. Plus, both of them were uploaded at least 2 years ago. I think they were just to show how the pieces were different.

Correctly you have deduced.
I'm not quite as good as Joseph Alessi yet (Teaches at Julliard. A premier soloist like Christian Lindberg, Whycliffe Gordon, etc.) lol. :(

It makes sense about the mastery bit, but that's the issue. Every part was perfect except for a few flubs. My friend made similar mistakes and he made 3rd place. :(

Part of it may be that the two judges were this strings lady and a trumpet player. :/

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
lol wut. Why were they judges. >_>

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
So here's a follow-up.

I actually got full marks for memorization and appearance. Which is absolutely hilarious considering 80% of the notes in the end weren't correct. (I did what's called trash playing. You play a lot of fast wrong notes, but imitate the correct sound) xD

Both judges gave me (well, what I would consider crappy) a crappy score. The violin player gave me an excellent (one rating bellow superior) and the trumpet player gave me a #$(*ing very good (one rating bellow excellent). You know what it was? They didn't know the piece.

Their only complaints were that I

1.) Played it too fast. The guy even told me I should've played it slow and lyrical. Does the first video sound slow and lyrical at all? lol

2.) My tone improved during the slow section.

I just don't understand some people. :/

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96