RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[REQUEST] Constant on-screen portrait

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
<Name of Proposed Script>
<Date Proposed>

Summary
Basically, I'd want a character portrait that stays on the screen all the time, showing the physical and emotional status of the main character. It should also move, not to obstruct the view to the player character.

Features Desired
  • Stays on screen all the time. Except when called off.
  • The picture should be able to be switched easily. What's the most efficient way to do that?
  • This is the important part: When the character moves to the right edge, the picture should switch over to the left side of the screen. And other way around. Basically, it should never be in front of the character.

Screenshot
Here's an example from the, uh, wonderful RyonaRPG. That particular RPG was created using RPG Maker 2k, though.

Games it's been in
  • Well, like I said, RyonaRPG. It was made in RPG Maker 2000, and I believe in a very awkward manner. Dunno how.

Did you search?
Why, I sure did.

Searching
Checked out the script database here and hbgames's forum, in addition to some google-fu. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what are the proper keywords for this. "On-screen" and "Portrait" or anything related to those didn't exactly produce many results.

It's simple and universal enough to probably already exist somewhere. But like I said, I haven't actually found anything. Thanks for your time.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Wow, you don't even need a script for this. It's called "Show Picture". It's an event command. Show it and you turn it off by, oh shi- turning it off with the corresponding event command.

Yeah, that's nice and all. Except for the whole "Moving away from the player" part which I mentioned. A simple show picture will get in the way pretty fast.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
The player only walks to the edge of a screen when they're at the edge of a map, otherwise, they're always in the middle of the map. Set conditions on a map that if a player is within 8 tiles of the left edge of the map, then remove picture and show the reverse of that picture on the right. Vice versa for the other side. Very simple stuff. It just requires a bit set up, which for some reason every non-veteran member here assumes using scripts makes their games much easier, when in fact it's just a waste of time for the very talented scripters we have here. Not to say that they wouldn't do this, but it's just a very simple fix with events, imho. I always prefer eventing over scripts unless I know that the events will either slow down the game or is impossible to do with scripts, and to make sure it is impossible without scripts. I always ask or post about what I'm trying to do to make certain.

Well, fair enough. However, let's assume then I want the portrait to change if the character's HP is below 50%. That doable easily?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Set another conditional. You'd have to have the picture for it though. Just make a variable = Player's HP. If variable is <= 50%, then erase what picture is there and show the beaten picture.