RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How is this for a "Media" PC?

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
It looks like I will be in University soon, so I decided I would try to thank my Mom for supporting me through the ups and downs in the past years (let's put it this way, I ENDED UP at my Mom's). I kept wondering what I could do her as a thank you present, then it hit me; she has always wanted to actually use her HDTV for actual HD viewing, so I thought it would be great to do her a PC just for that reason.

Of course, she also goes on it to play a few online games and high-end platformers (Braid and Trine etc) so I also thought it could be a relatively high-end PC at the same time.

Here is what I have so far:

Also a few more images of the case:

Spoiler for:

It will always boot into Windows Media Center on start-up, which is why the remote will come in handy.

Things that are missing from the list:

• Wireless Keyboard & Mouse*
  • Controller

*I would normally choose wired, but since this will be under the TV, it would be better for her if she could move the mouse and keyboard around and store them someplace.

So do you guys think I should add or change anything?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:21:13 AM by Tezuka »

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Well, the only thing absolutely wrong in any situation is that PSU. It's far too big (in terms of wattage) and I can't tell what brand it is.

If your mum is only going to use this for watching (HD) video and playing games like Braid, I don't think you'd need any more than the HD4200 built into the AMD 785G boards.

I'd recommend something like this, maybe.

AMD Athlon II x2 240
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H (with an on-board HD4200)
Whatever 2x2GB RAM kit you can find. 800MHz is fine.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (or whatever you'd prefer. Not sure how good Hitachi hard drives are - ask Roph.
Antec NSK2480 for the case. Comes with a 380W PSU.
The TV Tuner/remote control kit is fine, I think.

and the blu ray player you want, of course.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I bet you anything that if you build the same machine on ebuyer.com it will be cheaper.
bringing sexy back