RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Favourite Lyrics [+ Interpretation]

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I think song lyrics are about the most popular form of poetry out there right now, and while no replacement, I am curious as to what lyrics have most moved you. Whether to tears or laughter, a coherent summation of what you believe is true or maybe you just think they're cool, I want to know what your favourite lyrics are. They don't have to full songs, even just a few lines will suffice. You don't have to interpret them if you don't want to, but that would be cool too I think, as you are all very smart people and I would love to hear what you think about them :)

Try to keep it to one song per post, so that we don't get too tied up with one person.

For instance, one of my favourite set of lyrics is:

Spoiler for A Winner Needs A Wand, by Sufjan Stevens:
Quote from: A Winner Needs a Wand, by Sufjan Stevens
There's still nothing I can say to change
My news for You
There's still nothing you can do to exchange
My dues to You

Like You fit on me
To bit on me a bound

This life that's shut on me
That shouldn't be the grounds

To emulate an epicene
To elevate a sound
This life, a winner needs
A winner needs a wand

Never want to blame You,
bound You, blame me,
never want the blame You bound

It's only an excerpt. But I think the capitalized "You" throughout suggest that the speaker is referring to God, and the first lines I quoted particularly suggest to me that ths speaker is a person thinking he's called to be a priest and rejecting it, and his guilt over that rejection comes through there too. I think that interpretation is reinforced by "to emulate an epicene", where epicene is an adjective for the loss of gender distinction that a priest would experience (in some denominations). I'm not really sure what to make of "winner needs a wand", but I read somewhere once that it could be a phallic image, and so it's a reflection of perhaps a patriarchal society, or even simply an oversexualized society. In both cases, a priest's denial of his masculinity essentially marks him an outcast from that society. So, to me, this song represents that dilemma in a profound way, and the lamentations of the life that's shut on him if he were to become a priest speaks to a conflict in the speaker between the religious and the societal expectations of him. in that way, I think the song also speaks to the greater conflict within society between social norms and religion.

IDK, I think there's a lot in there, but mostly I just love the way he sings it. It's enchanting  :-*

So, kind of like songmeanings.net, except you guys are intelligent.

Professional Badass
Rep:
Level 82
I will make you hurt
Spoiler for:
Quote from: Rozz Williams, "Currents"
I have gone through prisons which opened up to all the terrible currents in this world.
In my choosing them, I oppose all love, and other such penalties, determined by the law beneath that which is golden. I know not how to fly to you. A bit of my heart is still burning. In my miserable existence, I have learned to be the god of darkness, who dare not pray too deeply, at the center of hopeless grief.

The bonds which tie me were meant to protect, but I have been a good boy for far too long now. (I have been a good boy) An awakening of chaos. Through the womb, my brain against my will. Against the wall, In the heat of sleep and lives lost too soon, Or too late, I also lament.

Twisted mind, soul of dirt. Tears hidden in dull contentment. A voice echoes through the land of man-fear.
Hope will soon fall. Torn from fear. Unconscious recognition of the ego, mother-fucker.

Mother-fucker. At last, the tongue achieves the dialect. Now we may speak in knowing pin-pricks.
Logos? Screw you all. Any ear that hears. There is no time for eternity. Believe there is no time for eternity. Ego, mother-fucker.

I have gone through prisons which opened up to all the terrible currents of this world,
In my choosing them, I oppose all love, and other such penalties...

I am a huge fan of Rozz Williams and this is part of his spoken word album, Every King A Bastard Son.
I interpret the song to mean that Rozz, a very troubled individual, realized the hopeless nature of life and could not find lasting peace with it. He had, in short, thought too much. And he is basically rejecting what he feels people have constructed to define reality, terms like Logos that often refer to knowing some holy reality as many religious types do. His point of view concerning "terrible currents" seems to mirror the idea of ontological horror in the vein of H.P. Lovecraft or Thomas Ligotti, both of which whom I admire.

I make my bed on remains of dead-eyed angels,
In the depths of Tartarus,
Where I lay in passion with Echidna
Giving birth to shapes both twisted and great.

Rep:
Level 82
Whatever
Spoiler for Tenacious D: Car Chase city:
Car chase city,
That's the name,
Of the game.
It was all groovy,
Now its totally lame!
KG really fucking,
Blew a synapse!
Now we're fucking,
Headed for a,
Total collapse!

Car chase city,
Run away from the fuzz!
Thought that we wasn't,
But we totally was!

Car chase city,
Now we're off on the map!
Car chase city,
Now I'm takin' a crap!

Now it's getting hairy,
So we're changin' the key.
Never underestimate,
The power of D!

KG fuckin' put his foot on the gas!
If I go to prison, hide the Pick up my ass!

Fuck this shit!
It's gone too far!

Kage pull over let me out of the car!
Car chase city,
Now we're taking the lane!
KG blew it,
Now we're goin insane!

Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Let me try to fill up your hole!
Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Car chase city patrol!

Car chase city!
Car chase city-ah!
Car chase city!

Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Car chase city patrol!
Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Just a fuckin' rigmarole!

Uh!

Picks!
Speed!
Turbo!
Oh!
Aagh!
Gas!
Brakes!
Spinnin' donuts
So spinnin' donuts
Roll!
Flip it!
Gas!
Nitro!
Go!

Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Car chase city patrol!
Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Just a fuckin' rigmarole!

ugh!

Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Car chase city patrol!
Let's rock!
Let's roll!
Rockin' was the ulti-mofo!
Uh!

Car chase city!
Car chase city!
Car chase city!
Car chase city!

[Host:] Hey guys, you're running a little late.
There's one spot left. You got any new material?
[JB] What we got's gonna turn your brain to shit.
[KG] Dust off the stage, Open Mic Host. Step aside.

Tenacious D has the funniest most messed up songs I will ever hear. Their songs are hilarious. I just can't help but laugh everytime I listen to one of their songs. :lol:

Their even funnier if you are watching the movie too. ;)
Have voice acting experience? It is needed.

Visit my website - www.memoriesdemise.yolasite.com