RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Soundcard

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I'm looking to record audio from my keyboard, but I'm assuming I wouldn't be happy with my integrated soundcard.

Someone on the Jordan Rudess forums recommended this. Will that be good for my speakers and keyboard? Is there something better for the price I should get? :q

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Get a mac.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Very good advice, especially since I'd be able to use Logic Studio. Unfortunately, I don't have the money.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Your onboard doesn't have a line in?
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Are you recording direct in, or with a mic? The onboard sound card really should be good enough, unless you're using a mic, in which case it's probably a shitty mic that can be used with a computer instead of a real mic that uses XLR inputs.

Maybe you should try it before buying something you might not even need.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Maybe you should, I dunno, actually get good enough to do anything worth recording first?

Reminds me of an RMRK member who can't can barely play guitar and then goes and gets a $2000+ guitar.

Just use the line in on your onboard, it'll be fine.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102
Are you recording direct in, or with a mic? The onboard sound card really should be good enough, unless you're using a mic, in which case it's probably a shitty mic that can be used with a computer instead of a real mic that uses XLR inputs.

Maybe you should try it before buying something you might not even need.
Direct in from the keyboard's audio out.

Obviously I'm going to try it before I spend $100 on a sound card, but I'm assuming it's not going to sound that great considering most integrated soundcards aren't very good quality. Plus everything on my motherboard is garbage, why would it be any different for this? I'll try to pick up a cable sometime this week.

Maybe you should, I dunno, actually get good enough to do anything worth recording first?

Reminds me of an RMRK member who can't can barely play guitar and then goes and gets a $2000+ guitar.
The only things that I really need to work on right now are my fingering, instinctive chord/scale playing, and intervallic reading. Though I can work around these by spending extra time on whatever I'm playing/composing. I specifically need this to record music I compose. I don't want it to sound like garbage.

Nouman didn't know how to read tabs and had no plans to. He didn't know basic music theory either. He were going to learn songs from Youtube videos. There's a clear difference between the two of us.

Rep:
Level 96
Also, in what way is buying a $100 sound card the same as buying a $2000 guitar?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
buying something you don't need.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 96
I guess you're right.

Oh! They're also both things! That's two! ::)

Rep:
Level 102
Even the shittiest onboard line in port has a perfectly fine signal to noise ratio for normal recording. I'm surprised irock would think he needs otherwise.

Mute your mic port when you're not using it, it will (incredibly likely) create very slight interference linked to CPU utilisation, though even that is nigh undetectable to the average listener.
bringing sexy back

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
considering most integrated soundcards aren't very good quality.
Not true, Irockpal  :police:

Rep:
Level 102
Even the shittiest onboard line in port has a perfectly fine signal to noise ratio for normal recording. I'm surprised irock would think he needs otherwise.

Mute your mic port when you're not using it, it will (incredibly likely) create very slight interference linked to CPU utilisation, though even that is nigh undetectable to the average listener.
Really? Do you have a lot of experience recording an instruments through your integrated soundcard? I'm glad buying this new soundcard wouldn't improve the audio quality at all, so now I don't have to spend the money. :)

Didn't you once say you can't tell the difference between a 192 kbps audio file and a FLAC file around 5x the bit rate? :)

Rep:
Level 102
I feel I'm being trolled, but anyway:

Really? Do you have a lot of experience recording an instruments through your integrated soundcard? I'm glad buying this new soundcard wouldn't improve the audio quality at all, so now I don't have to spend the money. :)

You overestimate the improvement you will get, or underestimate the quality of your line in. Try recording through your normal line in first. Even the shittiest onboard has a perfectly fine SnR for normal up to semi-professional recording. I pass the audio from my gamecube into my PC's onboard line in then out to my headphones, it sounds perfect. The noise is imperceptible unless you max the volume (my headphones go deafeningly god damn loud at max volume) and have silence coming from the gamecube. Even then it's almost impossible to hear it. Your experience won't be any different.

Didn't you once say you can't tell the difference between a 192 kbps audio file and a FLAC file around 5x the bit rate? :)

Simply stating a bitrate is not enough; samplerate, channels, compression format, compression settings and the piece of music that has been compressed are required for that.

Assuming you mean MP3, in most cases LAME-encoded MP3 above 192kbit/s is transparent. I'm not sure you understand how lossy audio works; it strives to remove parts of the sound that humans can't hear. AAC or Vorbis at 192+kbit/s are transparent.

Waste some money on the card if you feel like it, you will get a negligible improvement since your onboard line in is fine.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:01:18 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I agree with Roph. Sound cards are mostly useless.  :police: