RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
OGG and File Size

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I was advised to use OGG format for my music on RMVX, that it would make the files smaller. When I used the program, however, the MP3 file I converted using MediaMonkey got BIGGER. Was I advised wrongly, or did I screw up?
:tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Don't you understand bitrate?

And ogg is a container format, what you are talking about is vorbis, the audio format that is always found inside an ogg container.

A 320kb/s vorbis file will be larger than a 128kb/s MP3 of the same length.

Vorbis is a more advanced audio compression format than MP3, meaning for a given filesize / bitrate, vorbis will achieve better quality. A 44.1Khz Stereo MP3 at 64kb/s will sound like shit, but vorbis can more efficiently represent the audio with this low bitrate.

Vorbis and MP3 are lossy audio formats, which means that they remove information in their representation of the source audio. As MP3 and Vorbis work differently, converting from one lossy format to another is not recommended at all, as the resulting file will have lost data from both algorithms.

tl;dr, bitrate defines how large a resulting file will be for a given length.
bringing sexy back

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Actually, no, I didn't understand bitrate untill just now.

So I'll keep my MP3 as MP3. Thanks, Roph, you're a fart smeller- I mean a smart feller.
:tinysmile: