RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Death Metal

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Is it a musical plight on our society? Or is it just totally brutal?

(Actually I accidentally cut off half of my post. I am also to lazy to re do all of it, so here's a quick explanation..)

I was just going to see how people felt about Death Metal, what country they are from, and if it is a form of mainstream music in there place of origin. Also the main debate topic, Does Death Metal inspire violence, and deviant forms of behavior.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:32:54 AM by Coltin »
The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Realize that this is an impossible subject to debate. It's music. All music is subject to personal opinion. You can't prove that Death Metal is good or bad. It depends on every person's personal view. I think though, (if there is any supporting evidence), that you could probably debate if Death Metal has an affect of people like how apparently listening to Classical Music while you sleep or do work, or something, your IQ will be higher (or something like that). But don't make this into a debate topic about how Death Metal is the best over anything else.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
There's a music debate thread, too.
So you could have just asked this there, however, since you didn't...

I like some death metal, although I think more often than not the bass and guitar is too fast and loses any sense of musicality and it just ends up sounding muddy.
Ultra fast power chords = muddy, indistinguishable and generally bad sounds.
That and the uber annoying screaming vocals that you can even understand make for a generally unenjoyable musical experience.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This seems too familiar. I'm pretty sure there's a topic here somewhere with the exact same title and intro post.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Of course, doesn't every single death metal song tell you to kill someone?

:V
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I've yet to see somebody really into that type of music who doesn't make a show about it and makes sure their peers know, since it's a statament.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Just because it isn't melodic doesn't mean it isn't music.

/thread
:tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I've yet to see somebody really into that type of music who doesn't make a show about it and makes sure their peers know, since it's a statament.
Not even death metal but any metal/rock that has screaming or basically sounds the same as any other song of its genre (that applies to a lot of songs nowadays so yeh)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I like music with screaming in it, but I don't limit myself to liking one genre. Music is about feelings and expression to me, so by limiting my musical range, I am thereby limiting my expression of emotions. I also don't wear all black, have a constant pissed-off look on my face, wear eyeliner, or cut up on people who don't like a certain type of music.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
The only music with screaming I really like is Protest The Hero and HORSE The Band. Pretty much every other screamo band sounds exactly the same, the genre is more generic than hip-hop radioshit.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
The only music with screaming I really like is Protest The Hero and HORSE The Band. Pretty much every other screamo band sounds exactly the same, the genre is more generic than hip-hop radioshit.

What about Folk-Metal, that seems to add a lot of variety to the overall sound.
The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
What's folk metal?

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!

I like music with screaming, but none really come to mind at the moment.
I agree with that last part, there's so much (specifically speaking) new shit that tries to defy genres for the sake of being different for the sake of being themselves, it all ends up sound the same...and IMO it stops being music when they stop using their vocal chords.

I dunno about Folk Metal, I've only heard the odd song here and there and not very often, but Alternative Metal a la Rage Against the Machine (I don't know what they're really considered) is really good sounding to me.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
My opinion isn't too valid since I haven't really tried. But I've listened to all of the "popular" bands like August Burns Red and Bring Me The Horizon and I thought it was all terrible.

I'll give a listen to Folk-Metal though, what are some good bands?

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Folk Metal is a mainly European form of Metal that has a lot of folk music influence. Some good examples would be Eluvietie, Korpiklaani, Nightwish,  A larger subdivision of folk metal, would be of the Celtic persuasion.  A good viking style metal band would be Amon Amarth. Oh and Nightwish, is more of a Symphonic Metal, but can sort of be classified in Folk-Metal.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:32:19 AM by Coltin »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I'll have to look those bands up. I think I would start with Nightwish based on "is more of a symphonic metal".

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
I'll have to look those bands up. I think I would start with Nightwish based on "is more of a symphonic metal".

Beware though, Nightwish has two different styles, after the first singer left, it turned into more of a pop-metal. Which some people do like, but it lost a lot of its symphonic roots.

I really didnt want to bring wikipedia into this, but it is a good resource for reading up on musical sub genre's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:39:12 AM by Coltin »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I dunno about Folk Metal, I've only heard the odd song here and there and not very often, but Alternative Metal a la Rage Against the Machine (I don't know what they're really considered) is really good sounding to me.
Ahhaha thought you wrote "Rage Against" there for a minute. I hate them. So many of my friends listen to them, and it's just... >_> They're all, like, "YEAHHH RAGE AGAINST, ROCK ON, DUDE, ROCK ON!!! " And it's annoying. The biggest reason I don't listen to them is that whole part-of-the-crowd, mob mentality thing. It's fun being unique. I've listened to their music, too, but most of it sounds the same.

ANYWAYSSSS, there's only one artist/band/whatever I like that uses screaming, but it ends up that I prefer their songs where they don't scream. :P

Oh yeh, this seems less like a debate than a general discussion because arguing that one genre is better than another is like saying "blue is better than red." It's all preference. Yeah, some genres are a bit better in terms of its quality consistency, but, at a certain level, it's all preference.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
I feel screaming is kind of a acquired taste. Not saying its for cool people or anything. Its sort of like, Pickled eggs. As in you usually need to acquire a taste for them, to consider eating them, and most people hate it.

Rep:
Level 97
"Rage Against"
:moo:
Folk Metal is a mainly European form of Metal that has a lot of folk music influence. Some good examples would be Eluvietie, Korpiklaani, Nightwish,  A larger subdivision of folk metal, would be of the Celtic persuasion.  A good viking style metal band would be Amon Amarth. Oh and Nightwish, is more of a Symphonic Metal, but can sort of be classified in Folk-Metal.
Actually I've heard Amon Amarth, and I like them, my friend Parker listens to them a lot. I listened to Korpiklaani, wasnt my cup of tea, and I never really liked Nightwish either.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
"Rage Against"
:moo:
Folk Metal is a mainly European form of Metal that has a lot of folk music influence. Some good examples would be Eluvietie, Korpiklaani, Nightwish,  A larger subdivision of folk metal, would be of the Celtic persuasion.  A good viking style metal band would be Amon Amarth. Oh and Nightwish, is more of a Symphonic Metal, but can sort of be classified in Folk-Metal.
Actually I've heard Amon Amarth, and I like them, my friend Parker listens to them a lot. I listened to Korpiklaani, wasnt my cup of tea, and I never really liked Nightwish either.

Understandable, It took me a long time to actually get into Korpiklaani, After a while of exposure on Pandora, I started to like them. I started out liking only one song from Nightwish, and I thought the rest were horrible, but they started to grow on me.

How about Metalcore or Melodic Death Metal. Some good bands in them genre's would be, In flames, Meshuggah, Saosin, or Underoath. I don't really care for these genre's myself.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Moo, I think you're talking about Rise Against. I don't really care for them either.

Just watched two Amon Amarth videos, I don't really like their vocals, but the music itself is pretty great.
I like Megadeath a lot, the only thing is sometimes the vocals can be annoying. If they were instrumental they'd be that band I'd listen everyday, their vocals are just kind of dark to listen to everyday.

Oh yeh, this seems less like a debate than a general discussion because arguing that one genre is better than another is like saying "blue is better than red." It's all preference. Yeah, some genres are a bit better in terms of its quality consistency, but, at a certain level, it's all preference.
But we're discussing Death Metal and Metal in general, not really arguing whether or not if Blues is better than Metal.  :)

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Im going to have to agree with Halo on this one. I wanted a debate, but it really turned into a general discussion, It should probably be moved accordingly.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Moo, I think you're talking about Rise Against. I don't really care for them either.
LOL WHOOPS. Their names are a lot alike

Rep:
Level 94
Rise Against used to be the soundtrack to a revolution. Now they're the soundtrack to your little sister's sweet 16 party.