RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Fatigue

Rep:
Level 84
Hey, I've been fidgeting with a common event (set to a parallel process) to get rid of a little bit of MP (which I am calling fatigue) every few seconds.  I can't get it to decrease more if you are dashing though, and would like to make it so that you slow down, and maybe even blur the screen when you run out of MP, but am having loads of trouble. Any help here?  Much appreciated.  ???

Rep:
Level 84
It's not working.  Could it be that Vampyr's ABS is messing it up?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Well, set up the common event checking if your player is pressing the button that dashes. By default it's shift, so set up a common event like:

Code: [Select]
Conditional Branch: If Player Pressing [shift]
   >MP -5
   >Wait frame(s): 30
>Else:
   >MP -2
   >Wait frame(s): 30

So basically, if the player is pressing shift, the player will lose 5 MP every 1/2 second where as if the player is not holding shift, they will only lose 2 MP every 1/2 second.

I'm a little confused as to how a player would gain back their fatigue in your request... since your player would constantly be losing MP in all cases.

Now if you want the screen to get kind of blurry would be pretty difficult if you want it to be animated...but what you can do is set up another Common Event that checks the levels of your player's MP and pull off a semi blurry effect. It wouldn't blur, but you can pull off some sort of effect by tinting the screen a lot in different combos. Like this:

Code: [Select]
Label: START
Conditional Branch: If Player [Ralph] MP == 0
  >Loop:
    >Label: TINT
    >>Tint Screen: 0, 0, 0, @20 Frames (wait)
    >Conditional Branch: If Player [Ralph] MP >= 15
      >Break Loop
      >Jump to Label: START
    >Else:
      >Tint Screen: -15, -15, -15, @10 Frames (wait)
      >Tint Screen: -10, -10, -10, @30 Frames (wait)
      >Tint Screen: -25, -25, -25, @20 Frames (wait)
      >Tint Screen: -15, -15, -15, @40 Frames (wait)
      >Jump to Label: TINT
    >End
  >Loop Above
Else:
  >
End

The code above should work. What it does is constantly check if your player has 0 MP. If they do, then the screen will tint to normal brightness. Then it checks if they have less than 15 MP, if they do have less than 15 MP, the screen will begin to wildly tint at different shades of dark. Each time it runs through the tints, it'll jump back to tinting the screen to normal again where it'll again check if the player still has less than 15 MP. If at some point the player has 15 more more MP, the loop will break and jump to the very beginning to check if the player has 0 MP. (They won't since they will have 15+ MP at that moment). Anyways, it just keeps looping and checking. Basically, what happens is that the screen will tint crazy while your player has less than 15 MP only if regenerating. So, you can have 5 MP but the screen wont start tinting until you reach 0, when you reach 0 your screen will tint until your reach 15. When you get to 15 the screen tints will stop until you reach 0 again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:02:13 PM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 84
Call me stupid for asking this...but Shift is "A" right?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I don't even know. Press F1 while test playing, or even just in-game and controls will pop up. It's on the last tab. Just figure out what Shift means.

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, okay, it is the A key.  But it isn't working.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
What part?

Rep:
Level 83
I am guessing the "-5 MP" part. The system you described should work though.

@grafikal, I re-posted your project. Its all fixed now. Good luck with it :)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I am guessing the "-5 MP" part. The system you described should work though.

@grafikal, I re-posted your project. Its all fixed now. Good luck with it :)

Yeah, I don't know, it should work. If something doesn't work, it might be the flashing stuff I posted underneath that. I was making it up as I go and hadn't tested it. I also ended up creating a system to regen MP if not moving by checking if the player is not pressing any directional button. It's a little more complicated so I didn't post it. I would remake it if he got this working and needed some way for a regen.

And thanks! I'll go and check out the topic and see what you did to it :)

Rep:
Level 84
Holding shift doesn't do anything.  I'm using Vampyr's ABS, and it may have changed it, but it doesn't work.  Holding shift doesn't hurt anything.  Is there anyway to script what I'm trying to do?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I wouldn't change the script unless it actually does adjust the dash button. Is dash still Shift with that script? If so, then Shift would still equal A. I'll test it now since I'm actually on my WindowsOS at the moment.

Edit:
So I just checked it and it works fine. You might not notice that your MP is dropping faster while you're pressing shift, but it is. Something else that might be an issue since you're using an ABS is the HUD. I don't know how fast your HUD updates and I don't know if -MP to a character effects the HUD. Using magic spells might only affect how much MP is lost opposed to the event command -MP. However, you can pull up your status screen and you will see it dropping faster. Note though, that no events will be processed while any status screen is up, so you won't actually see your MP dropping, you have to keep refreshing the window by closing it and opening it again.

This is my common event looks like:

Don't forget that you have to turn ON the switch that starts the common event.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:34:52 AM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, dash is still shift.  I wasn't meaning mod the script, but is there another script that would do it?  I dunno.

Edit:  When I have it drop without the button press it works fine.  I think it's the button that isn't working because it doesn't drop at all when i press the button.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:35:39 AM by DarkCodeZero »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I edited my previous post. Look at that.

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, I edited mine too.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Ok, what you're telling me in your edit, is that you stop losing MP when you hold in shift. If you have the common event set up like how I have in my screenshot, then that should not happen. Before you go to edit it, take a screenshot of what you have and I'll troubleshoot it. However, there's no reason it shouldn't be working if you have -exactly- what I have in my screenshot. ?_?

Edit: Oh, and disregard the Flashing tints and stuff I had listed up earlier, that doesn't work and I haven't found a suitable replacement for it yet.

Rep:
Level 84
So, I forgot my password to photobucket and had it reset, but it hasn't arrived at my e-mail yet.  But the code looks exactly like yours.

Edit:  It works to a point.  It takes away, but holding shift doesn't affect it at all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:07:29 AM by DarkCodeZero »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
You can use other hosting sites than Photobucket ._.

TinyPic is reliable and no account necessary. It saves like the last 10 images to uploaded based on your IP. Like an automatic account.

Also, if pressing Shift still does not affect it in anyway, then it is possible that the script wrote Shift to be something else not equal to A. I don't know where in the script that would be, you might be able to post it in the RMVX Script Support section of the forums. Just post the script or link to the script and ask if anyone knows where or if the script edits the input for Shift for this instance. You might want to link to this topic as well from there to better clarify the question.

Rep:
Level 84
Alright.  Just one question.  How do I link to this? Copy paste, URL?  As you can see, I'm no good at this.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah, you can just copy and paste the topic's link. You don't actually need to use the [ url] tags unless you plan on creating an image into a link, but you shouldn't be.

Rep:
Level 84
IT WORKS!  I just messed with the buttons.  If "whatever" button is being pressed.  It changed Shift from A to Z.  Thanks for the help grafikal.  I appreciate it very much.

Edit:  Do you know which default script is the one that has dashing in it?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Ah, very nice. Glad to hear it.

Rep:
Level 84
One last quick question:  do you know which default script is the one that enables dashing?