RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] Delete Account Please

fagmop
Rep:
Level 87
fagmop
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:19:10 PM by boe »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
packs a spicy punch sounds kinda awkward for some reason.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
that's not a jalapeno. Habanero almost, but to be honest it's just an imported orange pepper which isn't spicy at all. If you wanted to do the strong-man type thing, and you actually have a jalapeno, I think you could probably put it on its side and make it look like a biceps or something. If you had an actual habanero, then I would like the fist more. A banana hot pepper could look like a muscled leg if angled correctly, etc.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yeah man, you could totally go to the local grocery store and raid the produce department for some fresh peppers. Then take a digicam and shoot some yourself. Unique photography is the best :)

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
The blending or however you'd like to call it on the pinky is a bit obvious =o
bringing sexy back

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Habanero or not, it's clever!

I think I'm missing something in the concept of spicy. It kinda looks like female anatomy, which made me think of Spice, one of Two-Face's girls, from Batman forever. A pepper in trashy lingerie? Hmmm.
:tinysmile:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I gotta see that one!
:tinysmile:

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
If anything you should focus on the text more. It's very lackluster in comparison to the main visual element.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I completely disagree. They're both design elements and they SHOULD NEVER be competing. You either make your imagery the focus or the text, you never split it.

That's one of the most basic problems in all of design - Wanting everything to be equally important.

Wrong.

Your text is a supporting element to your design. It's there only for the fuck-asses that can't comprehend your imagery can read that instead. And I would argue that your imagery are perfectly clear messages (just the wrong messages).

If you want to do anything to the text: pick a better place to put it and make the first ad's tag-line a sentence like the other two (which means you'll have to capitalize the first word and make it longer). How your text is currently being used is a design convention. It must be the same in all collaborative pieces or it breaks the convention and then your design is just random and it breaks from being apart of the rest of the pieces.

Also, as a note to the peppers you're using and the products they're supporting. A: I already said that your first ad didn't make sense since it's not a jalapeno. B: It wouldn't bother me if ALL your ads are in support of the same product (being the Jalapeno Cilantro Dip Mix), however, Red Bell peppers aren't spicy at all and your imagery makes 100% no sense. Because your second ad makes no sense, it automatically leads me to not like the first ad again for the jalapeno reasons. The only ad that makes sense is the 3rd with the yellow bell pepper. If you were doing these for no other reason than to put your photoshop skills to the test, then I'd say that's best because the results don't make sense. I don't know how many people know this - which is THE PURPOSE OF GRAPHIC DESIGN - is to convey a message. It's that first and art second. At the moment, your message is that orange bell peppers are as spicy as jalapenos and a red bell pepper is spicy somehow (at least spicy enough to even consider a metaphor for it to be an atomic blast).

I can say all of this from personal and professional experience. I both work in the produce department of a grocery store and am a graphic designer.

Hope this helps.

Discontinuing graphic design lesson transmission -- -   -       -           -                   -                           -

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I agree grafikal, but I can't even read the text. I'm currently studying ad design and poster design and it's nice if you can get your point across with just an image but if one of the requisites were having a slogan I'd appreciate being able to read it (not saying it is a requisite, but if it's unnecessary then remove it or at least make it eligible)

many tough words

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I totally understand it's difficult to read the tag-line, but kipe also said it was (i can't find it now but I thought I read...) %30 or %60 reduced lol.

The copy write info should be that small anyways, if it's an 8 1/2 x 11 ad, then you have to understand how a person views the ad. They aren't 6+ feet away from the ad when they read it like you would be in a class critique. I dunno about most people, but I tend to read a magazine at arm's length or shorter... You'll be able to read it perfect. The first tag-line still needs a change to a sentence and capitalized. No part of design is arbitrary. (Should never be rather). If you still haven't decided the way you plan on designing the tag-lines, then when you do, make sure they use the same design convention.

I find that a lot of beginner designers never think of how they're solution is to be viewed. For one, type and images need a hierarchy. Two, postcard text is going to be EXTREMELY small compared to poster text. A poster should be loud to draw a person in and viewable from a decent distance 6 - 10 feet. Whereas the postcard is going to be held away less than arm's length. Design is more complicated than it's given credit for, imho.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
Missed the reduction part lol, my bad >w< you raise interesting points that I'm going to pay notice to in the future though, seems like the most interesting and intriguing things they never teach you at school/work.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
It's cool, I don't know how far along you are in school. Are you in a design or advertising college type thing? Or are you taking highschool classes for that kind of thing? Either way, I ended up being taught those in this last year of college. So maybe they're holdin' out on you :X

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
It's a school strictly dedicated to design and graphical creativity. I'm currently in my second year, right now I attend 34 hours a week and we're doing product photography, magazine ads, poster design and webdesign. We have deadlines all the time and there's not much room for learning really, lol. It's a pretty shitty school but that's the best you can get over here~ It's really interesting reading up on the points you make in various threads that concern these things, they're valuable notes to me and I've learned to respect you as a designer a lot, lol.

Rep:
Level 82
Part of this balanced breakfast.
AHAHAHA WHY IS THAT SO FUNNY AHAHA.
"Maybe your imagination just smells like popcorn."

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Rep:
Level 82
Part of this balanced breakfast.
Ah...It's really funny. The pictures, I mean. I don't know why, but they are. Yeah.
"Maybe your imagination just smells like popcorn."