RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] National Novel Writing Month (PRIZE!)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)

Some of you may have heard of the National Novel Writing Month (also known as NaNoWriMo), most of you probably have not. The National Novel Writing Month is a creative writing project held annually in November in which participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved. Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces people to lower their expectations, take risks, and write on the fly. It's a daunting task to write a 50,000 word story, but last year alone they had 21,720 people who managed to finish. And this year, I'd like some people from RMRK to join those ranks if they can. We're mostly a creative game making community, and it's time we show off that creative energy.

THE RULES:

• You may start your story at midnight on November 1st and must try to submit a 50,000 word story by 11:59:59 PM on November 30th. You can make plans in advance but you can't start actually writing before November 1st.
  • You can write any genre, theme, language, or format that you wish. Everything from fanfiction, which uses trademarked characters, to novels in poem format, and even metafiction is allowed, AS LONG AS IT IS A NOVEL. They define a novel as a lengthy work of fiction, and as their FAQ states: "If you consider the book you're writing a novel, we consider it a novel too!"
  • You have to be the sole author of your work. No buddying up with someone as far as writing if you want to officially enter. Bouncing ideas off of someone or even having someone dictate to you what to write is fine, as long as it's your work.
  • It obviously has to be more than one word repeated 50,000 times, but other than that quality doesn't matter; the main goal is just quantity.
  • You'll have to register to have it checked for word count before midnight on November 30th and be officially declared a winner, but that takes all of forty seconds to do and there's no obligations at all even if you do sign up. You can do it anytime from now until the end of the contest I believe.

Go ahead and check out their website for more exact details on rules and such. Honestly, they won't check for cheating other than making sure it's in on time and not just a joke of words repeated over and over again. They aren't going to read what you write, as that's just plain impossible for them to try to read all of them.

THE PRIZES:

Now, why would any sane person do this, you might ask? What's in it for them? Well, there are officially no prizes for completing it other than a little certificate that you can show off if you like, and the satisfation of having fininshed. HOWEVER! Here on RMRK, we're going to hold our own mini-contest as part of the overall larger contest. And as part of the RMRK contest version, we're going to not only offer some prizes for those who manage to complete this enormous task (if anyone actually is able to), but a good prize to whoever writes the best novel as will be judged later after the official contest is over.

Currently the prizes are up for debate on what I personally have to offer and what others may be willing to contribute to get the creative juices flowing. However, I'm negotiating with some skilled artists for the possibility of getting some illustrations or cover pages done for your novel so that you can even submit your work to a real publishing company for the chance of really getting your work out there. If you have some suggestions for prizes or would even like to contribute something, feel free to PM me or just post right here in this thread.

If you're interested in this, go ahead and give it a shot, whether you do it as part of the official contest or just as part of this mini-contest here on RMRK. Post here if wanna join in, there's no shame in not being able to complete it in time. This thread will serve as discussion about the contest and prizes, as feedback for you if you wanna bounce ideas off of us, as a place for you to shamelessly plug your work to try to intimidate others, and as a place for general partying once the contest starts and ends.

So good luck to you all if you give it a try, and I hope to see some great work put out there. :3
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:39:56 AM by boe »

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Most Mature MemberBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Registered and tossing a couple of ideas about <_<  Let's see if I can do this.  =)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
I look forward to seeing you cross the finish line.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That's the idea of it. :3

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Alright, count me in. My grammar may need a bit of work, but I am confident I can at least churn out something half decent.  :D

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Haha, don't worry about grammar. For that matter, don't worry about writing something good. All you need worry about is actually getting the right number of words. After the contest is done you can go through and proof-read and edit all that you like. As they say on their site: "Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down."

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Most Mature MemberBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
START WRITING!  =3

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That's right people, you have less than 30 days to finish writing a novel!

CAN YOU DO IT? DO YOU HAVE THE CREATIVE POWERS TO FINISH AND BE A NOVELIST? =D

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I was gonna partake, but November is a dreadful month for me. I have exams coming up mid-November, until the 25th. So I'll have little spare time between now and then, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to complete a novel in 5 days. :D

I have got an idea for a story swirling in my head though.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Just posting to see how you guys are doing so far?

I just started two days ago and I have a word count of 876, but I have tried to make the story as in-depth and creative as I wanted it to be. :)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'm not gonna say how many, but let's just say that school's preventing me from writing as much as I'd like to. Zeich, on the other paw, has already gotten 6,435 as of this morning. Not doing too bad at all, mostly thanks to little Word Wars where you try to see who can write more in a set amount of time, usually 15-30 minutes at a go.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Sad to hear about your lack of time.  ;9

But yeah, yesterday I only gave it 15 minutes, in which I only wrote...what...15 words? Since I have a "Study Day" on Wednesdays though, I can dedicate a lot of time into it, which allowed me to reach the 800 mark.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:25:33 PM by Tezuka »

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
3900 words, I haven't written yet today, it's been super busy here.  I was a little frustrated with myself and the whole process.  Big thanks and hugs to Zylos for the encouraging talk. :-* 

EDIT:  And Zeich is THE MAN :D

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
5276  wow lol sorry

I haven't had much time to write lately so I'm quite behind.  But, hey, I'll keep trying, we'll see where I get by the end of the month. 

Are Zylos, Ziech, and myself the only ones who are doing this now? =o

Double post....

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'm doing it, too, but I've only written for 5 or 6 days. I'm too busy. I doubt I'll get it done in time.

Rep:
Level 84
This is perfect for me! BUT its the wrong time of year... the busiest part of the year work-wise. Oh well. If they change the month, let me know.

BTW will we get to see any of the work produced?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.
bringing sexy back

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

I'm throwing in the towel, I tried.  It was much harder than I thought it would be.  I started ok, but then even when I had time to write I had a hard time making myself do it.  I'm a little disappointed in me. ;9

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Sadly I'm not much better. I had a problem a while back that took all of my attention and motivation from pretty much everything away. My word count is pitiful. ;-;

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
11,000 words.

I gave it my all, but other things just ate at my time. It couldn't be helped.

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
I'm joining this. I don't know if I can manage to do it or not, I'll just give it my best.

I wish luck and creativity to all who are joining!

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Haha, I was about to find this thread and bump it. I participated last year and will be doing so again, falling short last time by about 30% left.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Tempting, I guess I'll just start writing ideas up now. No gurantees I'll finish it or even get to 25,000 words but I damn sure will try, as long as college permits it.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Even if I don't reach 50k words, I'll have a story for people to read.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon