RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED]I need an external Hard Drive

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Im looking into getting an external hard drive and have no idea what to be looking for and how to find a good price.

I'd like it to preferably be 1TB and less that £100 in price.

Can anyone recommend a good one
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:44:19 AM by ahref »

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
I live in the uk irock :P

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
You can get them from a uk store or whatever.

I just don't know where to look.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Does it HAVE to be external?

Else get 2 of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804
bringing sexy back

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
yeah has to be external. Im on a laptop for this year. @uni :P. Laptop has small hard drive

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
you really need 1TB? cause unless you're way into doing video editing and any kind of video work... but if not, you could just get the next biggest xHD that doesn't have an AC adapter. It's smaller and way more convenient.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
If you're on a Mac, get a Lacie. They're flawless and impossible to break.

Well, they work on PC as well. But I'm just saying, (in my experience) drives built for PC's have a habit of sucking HARD on Macs. Not true the other way around, though.
Plus most Lacie drives come with USB, Firewire 400, and Friewire 800 ports. Which is sweet.

Plus they look cool.

http://www.lacie.com

I swear by these because I bought a Western Digital external drive once, and it didn't even last 1 day before it started dropping transfers, and shutting down unexpectedly.
I've had my Lacie for over a year. It's split, so one part's formatted for Windows, and the other for Mac.
I've NEVER had a problem with it, and I've hooked it up to 10 or 15 different computers.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:26:03 AM by arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
you really need 1TB? cause unless you're way into doing video editing and any kind of video work... but if not, you could just get the next biggest xHD that doesn't have an AC adapter. It's smaller and way more convenient.

buying less than a terrabyte would mean buying a bigger one later if i needed more space.

lacies are expensive :(

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Something to consider: buying a smaller drive means you'll be more inclined to back things up in multiple places. And if you end up buying another, and one dies, you won't lose EVERYTHING. Only about half. (Or none, if you used one to back up the other)

Not that I do this. :(

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
If you're on a Mac, get a Lacie. They're flawless and impossible to break.

Well, they work on PC as well. But I'm just saying, (in my experience) drives built for PC's have a habit of sucking HARD on Macs. Not true the other way around, though.
Plus most Lacie drives come with USB, Firewire 400, and Friewire 800 ports. Which is sweet.

Plus they look cool.

http://www.lacie.com

I swear by these because I bought a Western Digital external drive once, and it didn't even last 1 day before it started dropping transfers, and shutting down unexpectedly.
I've had my Lacie for over a year. It's split, so one part's formatted for Windows, and the other for Mac.
I've NEVER had a problem with it, and I've hooked it up to 10 or 15 different computers.

The built for thing is probably due to filesystem. Most larger external drives are pre-formatted or intended to be formatted with NTFS, which macs have trouble with. The other option is FAT32 which macs are ok with but no file can be larger than 4 GiB, and on a 1TB drive your cluster sizes are going to be HUGE, wasting alot of the space. Else it's just a standard mass storage interface to the computer, which is universally supported among all platforms.

Your WD problem was likely just a bad batch. Lacie don't the make hard drives themselves, just fancy enclosures. They actually use Western Digital drives in almost all of their 3.5" external drives.

I have a 250GB Lacie (WD inside) external USB drive that has been running literally 24/7 for nearly 5 years now, and it is still running perfectly, so another vote from me for lacie if you'd like =o

Since your budget is £100, I would say get that Samsung F3 1TB samsung (mine arrived, installed, it's insane fast and very cool / quiet too) and then a nice enclosure. You won't need one with a fan for an F3 drive, only 2 platters :)

If you will be doing video editing I'd recommend get a better internal drive for your laptop, USB 2's limits will piss you off (forget working in realtime with HD fraps video off a USB drive :( )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:45:59 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
(forget working in realtime with HD fraps video off a USB drive)
I do this fine.

In fact, I get a higher in game FPS when fraps saves to my external.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Ordered. Should arrive soon.