RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Buying a new computer [Resolved!]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Disaster has struck. My dinosaur computer is dying one part at a time, and rather than replace all the dead parts, I'm planning on buying a new one. Some of the barebones kits on Tiger Direct looked good, but not having bought ANYTHING in the realm of computer hardware for years, I'm not exactly sure what is a good buy.

So, I ask you, the better informed RMRK community: What is standard nowadys? What should I be looking for? If it helps, my price range is 350-450 USD. I'm definitely trying to salvage what I can from the old compy, like the hard drive and the 1GB RAM, and the DVD burner. Other than that, I'm gonna start from scratch. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:41:45 AM by EvilM00s »
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
IIRC somewhere in this forum Roph posted a badass $300 build on a computer.
You could order all the parts online and it'd be a great rig to have.

Try searching for that in the mean time.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Drive - Fastest mechanical 1TB hard drive available, one arrives for me tomorrow  :)

Motherboard - standard AM3 motherboard with decent features

Graphics Card - the most powerful GPU that runs entirely off bus power - I have one of these too; any current game on high-max settings.

PSU - Enough to handle everything in this build and if you added some more hard drives or a higher power graphics card you'd still be ok.

Memory - You didn't say about your current pc so I dunno if you're on DDR3, but probably not. This is your standard 4GB kit.

CPU - Newly released, it's now possible to have a quad core for under $100, and it's a decent quad too (same cpu as a high end phenom, just no L3 cache) :)

6 Item(s) ($435.95)
bringing sexy back

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
roph saves the day.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
$435  O_O
Hi

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
You said you had up to $450 to use. This seems like a nice investment. :o It's in your price range, it's pretty dang nice, and it's most definitely going to last you a while. One TB? LOL wao. I wish I had that kind of money ;-;

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
You said you had up to $450 to use. This seems like a nice investment. :o It's in your price range, it's pretty dang nice, and it's most definitely going to last you a while. One TB? LOL wao. I wish I had that kind of money ;-;

Lazer Kirby != EvilM00s

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
oh lulz, what was I thinking? I really remember completely identifying Lazer Kirby as not being the OP, but I wrote that out. :P Oh well.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Hmm. Thanks a bunch, guys! I'll look into that setup Roph laid out. Hopefully I can get the hardware by Christmas, I fear the current compy won't last much longer!
:tinysmile: