RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Which Final Fantasy do you like best?

Poll

What's your favorite game of the series?

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
They all suck.
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV: Online
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'd imagine that's why MMO's are built to be so addictive; so you play them even after the main storyline is over.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
MMORPGs are addictive because of the social aspect, and because a lot of the meat of the games (raids, dungeons, PVP) require you to sit in front of your computer for extended periods of time.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
That doesn't make them addicting, that makes them time consuming. MMO's are addictive because it's never over. Even doing the same thing more than once will yield a different outcome, leaving more to be explored. I never meant that an MMO doesn't have an ending to a story. I incorrectly implied that, but I meant that there is no ending in the respect that I just noted. That there's always more to do or something left to explore. My point about no credits, is that if you go and take down the very last boss of an MMO with 39 other people, there's nothing. There's just some loot you can whore over in a game and then come back and do it again. An MMO is built to have a series of goals or checkpoints that don't have an end. The only way you could possibly beat an MMO to the max, is if you have some how accumulated every singe piece of equipment possible using every class at the highest levels with the maxed out amount of money on every server etc etc. It's impossible. MMO's are also addictive because of the goals that are set within the game. It's not weird to get 'into' a game. To be emotionally attached. People spent countless hours working in the game for their very own set of goals. Accomplishing a goal in an MMO yields a very realistic feeling of accomplishment. That emotion of victory of that goal is not fake, even though it cannot help you outside of the game. The fact remains that MMO's are psychologically made to be like that. The best MMO ever will be the one that simulates life in most all aspects, which most already do. I mean, shit, WoW has it's own economy on every server. I'm sure you all know enough about WoW that I don't need to discuss the other aspects of it that make it life like. But still it remains, that MMO's are not real life. Now I'm just thinking about going off on tangents and shit haha, and this topic is about FF games. Not MMO's. I think there's a topic for this discussion, so if it's brought up outside of here, I'd be glad to discuss :)

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best Artist2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
....grafikal is the king of really really big paragraphs. o_o

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
That doesn't make them addicting, that makes them time consuming. MMO's are addictive because it's never over.
MMOs are addicting because of the social aspect. People challenge themselves to best others playing and do this by acquiring better gear/more gold or beating them up in PVP. The fact of the matter is, there really isn't an endless stream of amazing content in MMOs. It is very possible to do all there is to do within an MMO, however it's more a matter of what is worth doing. I say "worth doing" because I doubt anybody would strive to complete every possible quest within an MMO - even though they could - because that is not their motivation in playing. Most people don't even immerse themselves in the quests, for example, but rather skip the text and follow and addon's directions to where they need to go exactly. This happens because people are not fussed by Adjective Noun's woes (he lost his rum... he thinks some troggs stole it) but just want the reward at the end so their progress to the top is hastened just a little bit.

Even doing the same thing more than once will yield a different outcome, leaving more to be explored.
It's likely the "different outcome" here is just different loot dropped by a boss, with some having an insanely low drop rate but godly stats. People do the same thing over and over so they can get better gear and be better than others, not because the dungeon is just so very interesting to walk around in.

That there's always more to do or something left to explore.
The argument of what is worth doing pops up again here, I guess. In the context of WoW, people normally complete new content the day it is released, and then continue to play through that content (be it in PvP of PvE) for new gear so that by the time more content is released, they will be able to acquire the godlier loot much faster. Rinse and repeat this race for gear so that they can feel accomplished in knowing they are better than whoever doesn't share the same loot. Eep, I'm starting to feel like a bit of a broken record now.

My point about no credits, is that if you go and take down the very last boss of an MMO with 39 other people, there's nothing.
This does happen, and people do find themselves twiddling their thumbs with no idea what to do next. This is normally when people come to their senses and realise how boring and limited the MMO genre really is. In the case of an active MMO like WoW however, developers are soon to occupy their players with the same content wrapped in a brand new package. However, this content does eventually end.

... we've gone off on a tangent, haven't we? I don't even know what I'm arguing anymore, but that's not going to stop me.

An MMO is built to have a series of goals or checkpoints that don't have an end.
All MMOs have an end, in the sense the overall story ends and in the sense content ceases to be released.  

The only way you could possibly beat an MMO to the max, is if you have some how accumulated every singe piece of equipment possible using every class at the highest levels with the maxed out amount of money on every server etc etc.
No? That's like saying the only way you could beat Oblivion to the max is if you gather up every single item in the game and store it in your house. You must also create hundreds of saves, each one having a character with a unique race and birthsign combination, and each character having all stats maxed. Instead, it'd be sensible to say the only requirements to say you completed the game 100% would be to maximise your stats and level on one character, complete all quests, visit all buildings and by extension complete the world map and... that seems about it? This seems like a reasonable parallel to draw here but you're welcome to argue whether or not it isn't.

It's impossible.
And no, it's not impossible, it's just long and tedious and ultimately not a requirement to have done all there is to do in a game.

MMO's are also addictive because of the goals that are set within the game.
Outside of the A to B goals of quests, all goals within an MMO are likely set by the user/s. The goal could be the best character on the server (or within your group of friends) in the case of a single player, or the goal could be to move your guild up in the ranks to the top position in the case of many players. I know I'm really hammering the BE THE BEST argument here but that's really the motivation behind doing much of anything in an MMO.  

People spent countless hours working in the game for their very own set of goals. Accomplishing a goal in an MMO yields a very realistic feeling of accomplishment. That emotion of victory of that goal is not fake, even though it cannot help you outside of the game.
We seem to be arguing the same thing now - that thing being that it isn't the endless stream of amazing content in an MMO (which doesn't happen, by the way) is what addicts people to them.

Ugh man, I said the same thing over and over in that text. I'd go back and edit it but I can't be bothered. Somehow, I was trying to argue that it is possible to complete an MMO like any other game, it's just much more tedious to do so. I think.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Spoiler for Massive counter agruement lol: Spacesaver:
That doesn't make them addicting, that makes them time consuming. MMO's are addictive because it's never over.
MMOs are addicting because of the social aspect. People challenge themselves to best others playing and do this by acquiring better gear/more gold or beating them up in PVP. The fact of the matter is, there really isn't an endless stream of amazing content in MMOs. It is very possible to do all there is to do within an MMO, however it's more a matter of what is worth doing. I say "worth doing" because I doubt anybody would strive to complete every possible quest within an MMO - even though they could - because that is not their motivation in playing. Most people don't even immerse themselves in the quests, for example, but rather skip the text and follow and addon's directions to where they need to go exactly. This happens because people are not fussed by Adjective Noun's woes (he lost his rum... he thinks some troggs stole it) but just want the reward at the end so their progress to the top is hastened just a little bit.

You said what I meant, just longer winded. The addiction is that an MMO doesn't end because there are constantly new goals to obtain, whether you play  the MMO to obtain better items/gear than someone else, to enjoy the active social network, economy, to relax from real life, to play for the challenges, etc. Every player has a different goal, though many will have similar.

I suggested that no one can beat an MMO because you can't. I did not say that you couldn't go around getting the best equipment or getting things 'worth' getting. I suggested to 'beat' the game. To complete a game is to finish the game. As in, doing all there is to do, not all there is worth doing. Do not confuse them for the same thing. They are not. I was suggesting the first and not what you are saying.

In contrast to most all other games that are not MMO. You could complete them. Not because they have a boss that when you kill him, the game ends, but because you can finish the game 100%. In the example of FF12 (using the example cause I beat 99% of it), you can go around killing every single hunt, synthesizing every single item from ingredients, beat every mini game, buy all the best items and gear, max out all your characters, have as much money as you want, and then finish the story line of the game. That's 'completing' a game. That is something you cannot do in an MMO. This is where my logic stems from.

Even doing the same thing more than once will yield a different outcome, leaving more to be explored.
It's likely the "different outcome" here is just different loot dropped by a boss, with some having an insanely low drop rate but godly stats. People do the same thing over and over so they can get better gear and be better than others, not because the dungeon is just so very interesting to walk around in.

This is what I was referencing. I didn't say what kind of different outcome, I just said that there would be. New loot from an old boss is a different outcome, no? (Yes, I do realize sometimes a boss may drop the same loot more than once.) But it's also more than that. Perhaps a few of your teammates die in battle that didn't before. That dynamically changes how the battle continues, etc. This is a different outcome, no? This is all what I was referring to. You're right though in that the likely outcome would be different loot. Obviously a dungeon's physical dimension stays constant, so I don't know why you thought I could possibly have meant walking around a dungeon for new scenery or something.

That there's always more to do or something left to explore.
The argument of what is worth doing pops up again here, I guess. In the context of WoW, people normally complete new content the day it is released, and then continue to play through that content (be it in PvP of PvE) for new gear so that by the time more content is released, they will be able to acquire the godlier loot much faster. Rinse and repeat this race for gear so that they can feel accomplished in knowing they are better than whoever doesn't share the same loot. Eep, I'm starting to feel like a bit of a broken record now.

You've taken this out of context. Where I wrote "That there's always more to do or something left to explore" was in reference to what I just quoted from you, about yielding different outcomes. You sound like a broken record because you quoted a redundant sentence. I sometimes tend to be redundant. Sometimes it's to make a point more clear, and other times it's because I can't help it. lol

My point about no credits, is that if you go and take down the very last boss of an MMO with 39 other people, there's nothing.
This does happen, and people do find themselves twiddling their thumbs with no idea what to do next. This is normally when people come to their senses and realise how boring and limited the MMO genre really is. In the case of an active MMO like WoW however, developers are soon to occupy their players with the same content wrapped in a brand new package. However, this content does eventually end.

... we've gone off on a tangent, haven't we? I don't even know what I'm arguing anymore, but that's not going to stop me.

I agree fully here. lol

An MMO is built to have a series of goals or checkpoints that don't have an end.
All MMOs have an end, in the sense the overall story ends and in the sense content ceases to be released.  

I agree that an MMO could have an end if you can complete the game like I was talking about, and then when this happens if there is no more new released content. However, my point still stands that the purpose of an MMO is to keep you occupied by having many different goals or checkpoints that don't end. Obviously, if they lead to an ending, then they didn't do a very good job since an ending psychologically brings closure, which would reduce the incentive to continue playing. I will reference WoW though. When you beat the final boss, the incentive to continue playing is more gear for yourself, to help someone else get gear, or to interact with other online players that make your experience better some how. There are other reasons too of course. Also, I'm sure that all MMOs have a story that ends, but I never once meant to insinuate that they didn't. I meant that the gameplay never ends. Even if in WoW you brought down the King Arthas with all the other guild-mates, you can still come back and do it again. The story is over, but the game is not. This is my ultimate point. This is what I mean, by not ending. (Unless you apply how I suggested that a player can beat a game. [Not beating by what's 'worth' but beating by completing.])

The only way you could possibly beat an MMO to the max, is if you have some how accumulated every singe piece of equipment possible using every class at the highest levels with the maxed out amount of money on every server etc etc.
No? That's like saying the only way you could beat Oblivion to the max is if you gather up every single item in the game and store it in your house. You must also create hundreds of saves, each one having a character with a unique race and birthsign combination, and each character having all stats maxed. Instead, it'd be sensible to say the only requirements to say you completed the game 100% would be to maximise your stats and level on one character, complete all quests, visit all buildings and by extension complete the world map and... that seems about it? This seems like a reasonable parallel to draw here but you're welcome to argue whether or not it isn't.
Hm. Interesting point bringing up Oblivion. I'm going to say that I wrote it wrong. Again though, I'll bring back what's 'worth' beating in a game and what's completing a game. You can bring closure to yourself by doing everything you want and calling it quits, but my point still remains that the game isn't completed. I'm not saying that you have to complete a game. I mean, most games I play I don't go balls to the wall and try to do 100% of everything. I'll play and do everything I find enjoyable then finish off by beating the last stage of the story line and roll credits. I find that games that have HUGE replay value are almost impossible or futile to try to complete 100%. Games like Oblivion and Fallout. There are just so many different ways to play it, that you can't consider the game completed really in every aspect in one character. If you play though fully evil, you don't get certain aspects of the game that revolve around being good, and vice versa. Just to reiterate though, I'm talking about completing a game 100%. I don't suggest playing Oblivion or Fallout or similar games through 100% anyways. It's more fun doing new things the next time through the game. What you're saying would be sensible to playing a game, but not completing the game. Basically, what I'm suggesting is impossible lol.

It's impossible.
And no, it's not impossible, it's just long and tedious and ultimately not a requirement to have done all there is to do in a game.

You're right, it's not impossible, just extremely implausible. No one would do it, nor is there nearly enough incentive for anyone to do it. So impossible, maybe not, but I don't think it'll ever be done. (with out hacks. lol)

MMO's are also addictive because of the goals that are set within the game.
Outside of the A to B goals of quests, all goals within an MMO are likely set by the user/s. The goal could be the best character on the server (or within your group of friends) in the case of a single player, or the goal could be to move your guild up in the ranks to the top position in the case of many players. I know I'm really hammering the BE THE BEST argument here but that's really the motivation behind doing much of anything in an MMO.  

You're right about this though. You're not really saying anything different from me here. All you're suggesting are goals that are likely to be common among most players in an MMO. I was just referring to any goal in general and not just the obvious ones. I've known plenty of WoW players that didn't try to be the best in combat or have the most money or something. My personal friend actually bought the game just so he could prove that you can explore every area of the game as a level 1 human. However, he ended getting to like level 9 or something from just straight discovering places. He played normally afterwards, but his first goal was to just walk around. I don't remember where I read this piece of awkward knowledge, but apparently walking from one side of WoW's continent (one of them) to the other is equal to walking the distance from one side of a medium sized state to the other, in the USA. I don't know which continent in WoW it was, but I think they're pretty similar.

People spent countless hours working in the game for their very own set of goals. Accomplishing a goal in an MMO yields a very realistic feeling of accomplishment. That emotion of victory of that goal is not fake, even though it cannot help you outside of the game.
We seem to be arguing the same thing now - that thing being that it isn't the endless stream of amazing content in an MMO (which doesn't happen, by the way) is what addicts people to them.

You're correct.

Ugh man, I said the same thing over and over in that text. I'd go back and edit it but I can't be bothered. Somehow, I was trying to argue that it is possible to complete an MMO like any other game, it's just much more tedious to do so. I think.

Lol, no problem. I'll agree that an MMO can be beaten, but if you've read through this, you've read how difficult it would be by my suggestions. I feel like the major difference in these arguments are that you justify completing a game by doing all that you personally deem worthy to complete as being the best, whereas my justification for completing a game is literal and less personal where I suggest that a completed game is what it is. It would have to be complete as in 100% beaten and not completed with only things a person feels is personally worth doing. I will, however, completely agree that playing a game with the mind set of doing what is worth doing is perfectly fine and worthy of being a way to complete a game. It's a personal level of accomplishment at hand rather than the annoying and tedious amounts of work and time that must be put into a game to actually complete it. lol. I hope that helps clarify and difference between our opinions, though both absolutely valid.

Also, it's way late/early right now haha, so I'm certain there are some spelling errors or grammar issues :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:43:44 PM by Kuja »

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Just got around to reading your post  :police:. I'd respond but I don't see much of a point since everything is just about wrapped up. I don't even know why an argument was sparked up now that I think about it...

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
*explodes from trying to read such a big wall of text*

ANYWAYS! What about FFIV? I always thought it was a fairly popular one, but it only has two votes so far.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Truthfully? I didn't want to sound predictable. lol!

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I think you're both right.

That being said, I actually enjoyed a lot of FF Online, it was pretty great for its day. It had a lot going for it, there are a ton of things you can do with your character.
The new Crystal Chronicles looks good, seems like a real single player action RPG.
FFIV is my favorite, I liked the story a lot. It had a good world and god characters.

What games were relabeled for NA? I know FFVI was FFIII here, but what was FFVI in NA?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:08:58 AM by Ko?ciuszko »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Argument is over sir. Please do not instigate. I didn't read any of it since it started out with "I think you're both right". I see where it's going because there's a large block of text.

What games were relabeled for North America? I know FFVI was FFIII here, but what was FFVI in North America?
I'm curious about this too. I don't actually feel like doing the research, but I'm curious anyway. I might play some of the older FF games sometime if I ever find time to do it. It'd be nice to know lol.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
FF2 (NA) = FF4 (JP)
FF3 (NA) = FF6 (JP)

That's it, I think. After FF3 (which in truth was FF6), FF7 was put out in America actually as it was supposed to be as FF7, which lead to a lot of confusion over the numbering.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
So in the poll where you list FF6 and FF3, they're actually the same game? Just one in Japanese and the other in English? Same with FF2 and 4? Does this mean that whoever voted a TON for FF6 is really just voting for a much harder to read version of FF3? I am confused .___.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I'm surprised there's still people confused about this whole thing.

To the guy above me, I'll repeat what has been said:

The FF2 in America was really the fourth FF in the series. FFIV (JP) = FFII (US), because II and III didn't seem profitable in the US and so weren't translated. Then they skipped FFV (JP) for the same reason and went ahead and released FFVI (JP) in America as FFIII.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I never really cared that much about FF games. The first one I ever played (if only for like 10 minutes) was FF7. Then skipped 8 and bought 9 10 and 12. I've also completed tactics and tactics advanced. I don't try to be a connoisseur of games lol. I bet I could probably ask my roommate. I feel like he would know some how.

Edit: Oh, I didn't actually see the rest of your post Chewey. (This is Grafikal btw)

Is it like this?
Japanese: 1, 2, 3, 4*, 5, 6**, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
English: 1, 2*, 3**, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Like, if we move (J)4 to (E)2 and (J)6 to (E)3, then (J)2 must equal (E)4 and (J)3 must equal (E)6?
I feel like that's a lot of going back and forth into the future and past lol.

So chronologically if the Japanese were to play our Final Fantasy games in our order, to them it would be like playing it in this order: 1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:57:23 AM by Kuja »

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
So in the poll where you list FF6 and FF3, they're actually the same game? Just one in Japanese and the other in English? Same with FF2 and 4? Does this mean that whoever voted a TON for FF6 is really just voting for a much harder to read version of FF3? I am confused .___.

I think these must be going by the japanese numbering. I voted IV which I know was released as II in NA.
So there never was a FF6 released in NA?

I hear Tactics is great, but I've never gotten around to playing it. I should...

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Quoting myself to Chewey for clarification. Am I right how I explained it here? I don't really know.

Edit: Oh, I didn't actually see the rest of your post Chewey. (This is Grafikal btw)

Is it like this?
English: 1, 2*, 3**, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Like, if we move (J)4 to (E)2 and (J)6 to (E)3, then (J)2 must equal (E)4 and (J)3 must equal (E)6?
I feel like that's a lot of going back and forth into the future and past lol.

So chronologically if the Japanese were to play our Final Fantasy games in our order, to them it would be like playing it in this order: 1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:57:42 AM by Kuja »

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
English: 1, 2*(really 4), 3**(really 6), 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
America didn't see the original 2 and 3, nor 5 for a while.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I don't get why they don't just do simultaneous releases. Well I guess I kinda do. If the game flops in one market, chances are it'll flop in another market.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I never really cared that much about FF games.

uhh...

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30473.msg383052.html#msg383052

FF9    *Favorite

other favorites:
-Legend of Zelda series
-FF12
-Legend of Dragoon
-FF4
-FF10
-FF7
-Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2

In that order.

o.o

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
The original Final Fantasy was made for the Japanese NES in 1987, but it wasn't translated and ported to North America until July of 1990. Meanwhile in Japan, the real Final Fantasy II was released in 1988 and the real Final Fantasy III was released in April 1990. Neither of these games would be seen in North America until many years later. In 1991, Square released Final Fantasy IV in Japan, and a few months later it was released in North America as Final Fantasy II  to maintain the naming continuity because the previous two games had not been released in North America.

In 1992, Square continued along and made Final Fantasy V in Japan. It was supposed to be translated in North America just like the previous game, but the project fell through and was never ported to North America until many years later just like the real Final Fantasy II and III. Two years later in 1994, Final Fantasy VI was released in Japan, and due to the overwhelming success, it was ported as soon as possible to North America as Final Fantasy III  to once again continue along the number changes.

It would be three years before Square would finally release Final Fantasy VII in Japan, after converting over from Nintendo's cartridges to Sony's CD-ROMs. A few months later it was ported to a highlly excited North America, but instead of continuing the number changes, it kept it's proper title number as VII, leaving many people confused/curious about what happened to the other numbers. Due to VII's popularity, the series grew more and more reknown and Square would later release the real Final Fantasy II, III, and V in various remakes and ports by popular demand under their true numbers.

After VII, the series kept on track with the numbers. So the list up above is all of the real numbers. Final Fantasy II on the list is the 1988 game (of which North America got to first play in 2003 in the PSX port of I and II in Final Fantasy Origins), not to be confused with Final Fantasy IV in 1991. I hope this clears up a bit of the fog and not just make things more confusing for you.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I never really cared that much about FF games.

uhh...

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30473.msg383052.html#msg383052

FF9    *Favorite

other favorites:
-Legend of Zelda series
-FF12
-Legend of Dragoon
-FF4
-FF10
-FF7
-Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2

In that order.

o.o

I don't care about like where they came from and stuff. I like to play the games. I'm not sure if you read my previous post?
I never really cared that much about FF games. I don't try to be a connoisseur of games lol.
If I have to be EXTREMELY FREAKIN LITERAL HERE, then I mean that I never cared enough to go and research how us Americans decided to be dumbasses and fuck up the order of the Japanese FF games for profit. I really don't care. My comments inside different topics are related to the discussion at hand, I don't type shit so that everything I do is intertwined with each other. That topic has nothing to do with this.

I've never beaten FF4.
The first one I ever played (if only for like 10 minutes) was FF7. Then skipped 8 and bought 9 10 and 12. I've also completed tactics and tactics advanced.

I've played FF4 advanced on my roommates DS. It was ok enough for me to list it at the time I guess. I obviously forgot about it, so I guess it's not a favorite anymore. Things change. :/

@Zylos, lol, that didn't confuse me. So it helped :)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I'd like to see a FF game that gets back to the roots of the franchise. Sure, they weren't much to look at, but MAN were they fun... and nothing so complex as XI or whatnot. I dunno, maybe I'm just a nostalgic sucker, but could you imagine what those games would be like on a PS3 or Xbox?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
You mean like a remake of the original Final Fantasy and such?