RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Which Final Fantasy do you like best?

Poll

What's your favorite game of the series?

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
They all suck.
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIV: Online
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
lol, I remember that. My own favorite three would be VI, VII, and X. VI needs no explanation, VII was what drew me into the series in the first place (I was really impressed by Cloud and Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts and went to play their original game), and X just has an absolutely amazing storyline, though it's seriously underrated by most people.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I still don't know why I chose FF7 (which I really don't like) and They all suck. ._.

FF6 was a masterpiece.
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I think the only way anyone can say they all suck is if you don't like the air around the games and not actually the games, which is just straight ignorant. Most people don't like FF7 because every other person would sexually abuse the shit out of the game if it had a vagina or a dick. We don't like those people, not the game, unless you actually do not like the game. There's a difference. If anyone said they played every game all the way through and honestly didn't like any game, then fine, but really...there are so many and if you've only played 3 or 4 and say you don't like them ALL...wow. And as Arlen has reassured me, that none of these games have anything to do with the others (again, except for X and X-2), so there's no way anyone can judge another game without playing it.

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
I can say I really do dislike seven and eight..played them, disliked the story and characters pretty badly. Also was never fond of the game mechanics of those two. But the rest of the franchise is pretty fun, even if I don't go crazy for all of them.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah

Rep:
Level 85
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
That and both Cloud and Squall had the personality of plain ramen noodles and the motivation of a ground sloth. UNTIL their obnoxious stereotypical girlfriend that they hated the whole begining of the story gets kidnapped/killed.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
FFXIII Versus needs to hurry up and be released.

What's the difference between Versus and XIII?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Well, check this out, Kosciuszko.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabula_Nova_Crystallis_Final_Fantasy_XIII

It's kind of like a compilation series that builds on itself. I think they did something similar with the world of Ivalice.
:tinysmile:

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest

There's a lot of Mystic Quests, this one was a spin off that barely vaguely resembles a Final Fantasy at all. However, I included it because it's not part of another series and some people do consider it a Final Fantasy. It's not like it matters, I doubt anyone in their right mind's going to give it a single vote.
Isn't Mystic Quest a part of the Mana series (Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, etc. etc.)? The Mana series shares a few things with the FF series anyway.

ANYPOOP, my favourite Final Fantasy is definitely 9. Best soundtrack and great characters and I really liked the way abilities were learnt. Good game :]

In no real order after that, I like IV, VII, VIII, X and X-2.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)
I don't see what the heck people like about X-2 to rank it higher than all the others. To me it was a decent game but could use a lot of improvement, especially when it came to the story. It just lacked so much compared to its predecessor. <.<
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:04:18 AM by Zylos »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I've never played X-2 because I've never heard a single good review about it. I maybe would have rented it, but I tend to play games through 100%, and it's an FF and I don't feel like having to extend a rent. I know I wouldn't taint my apartment with buying that game anyways though. lol

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
X2 is fun.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
X by far. It had the best battle system and aside from being ridiculous at times (search tidus' laugh on youtube) it was also very engaging and was a game i actually WANTED to play through, instead of suffer through like the other Final Fantasies, where progressing through the story meant dealing with that retarded active time battle system again and again.

I've tried to play the others, many of them, several times, but I just get sick of how lame and randomly unforgiving ATB is. Though I love 8's card game much better than 9's, and leagues better than blitzball. Fuck blitzball.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I never did the whole blitzball thing. Was there a point to it besides just spending a lot of time in a minigame and picking up random players around the world?

Rep:
Level 82
Soul Crossblade!!
Squeenix lost their magic and touch in making great games, since a handful of employees left on the Square and Enix merger, especially, they lost an important person, the father of Final Fantasy and that's just sad for them...

:-[

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
I don't see what the heck people like about X-2 to rank it higher than all the others. To me it was a decent game but could use a lot of improvement, especially when it came to the story. It just lacked so much compared to its predecessor. <.<
It actually has a decent battle system. Story was fine.

lol @ FFX having the best battle system

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
lol @ FFX having the best battle system

It does. No ATB bullshit, shows the turn order of all characters which is better for strategy, and allows you to switch out party members mid-battle which, again, is better for strategy. The battles were actually fun, and engaging, and consisted of more than simply pressing the same button 50 times until the victory fanfare plays. Considering all this, I see nothing to lol about.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
No ATB bullshit
ATB is optional in all the Final Fantasy games it's featured in. However, I understand your argument here is, "None of that not being able to see the next x amount of steps before they happen," right?...

shows the turn order of all characters which is better for strategy, and allows you to switch out party members mid-battle which, again, is better for strategy.
Woop, looks like you've gone and listed it as a separate argument (it's not). Anyway, and maybe this is just me talking here, I've found strategy (when necessary [which is pretty rarely]) always available in Final Fantasy games. Oh look, it's x-monster who is weak against x-element. Gonna go ahead and use that then. Oh look, one of my party members is wounded, I'm gonna go ahead and heal them as soon as possible. Woops, looks like the enemy is faster than me (gonna have to keep that in mind) and the person died. Oh well, I better use a phoenix down now in conjunction with some healing to counter the damage that is likely to be dealt on me in this next round. Button mash, button mash, etc. etc., until the fight ends. This is how all Final Fantasy games operate and none of them are terribly hard.

The battles were actually fun, and engaging,
Sure, if you like slow gameplay reminiscent of every other FF battle save for the fact it shows the order of the battle. In FFX-2, you could chain together attacks and switch jobs (perhaps the coolest RPG feature) on the fly which, if done enough, calls forth the equivalent of FFX's Aeons. Also: battles weren't painfully slow. I just can't emphasize this enough

and consisted of more than simply pressing the same button 50 times until the victory fanfare plays.
Not true. It's not like displaying the order of battle adds depth. Sure, what you're saying would be correct if displaying the order of attacks somehow made the game magically hard and therefore required thoughtful strategy that would disrupt the monotony of RPG battle systems... but that is not the case. You don't need to plan at all, outside of the regular poop mentioned above. And I understand you make this argument because you don't want to waste that single turn on using a potion, but perhaps to remedy that you should employ decent strategy to prevent that from ever happening (i.e. don't let your characters lower to critical health, or rather, don't get them into any situation you can't get them out of alive). Either way, you still just button mash until the end of the fight, only now you get to see the future of your button mashing. It's not like we've only just now, with this new feature, found out the best (quickest, most button-mashiest) way to take down enemies. See a Bomb? Use an ice spell. This is just as quick and just as button mashy in FFX as it is in any other Final Fantasy.

I see nothing to lol about.
I do - FFX-2's is better.

SUPER BONUS ARGUMENT
Blitzball, in both FFX and FFX-2, is a lot of fun. I liked it a lot :3. Also, FF8's card game really was a lot better than FF9's card game.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:55:55 AM by chewey »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I do - FFX-2's is better.

Oh, so your point was that FFX-2's is better than FFX's. Mine was that FFX has the best battle system out of all the FF titles I've played. FFX-2 isn't one of them. So basically we're on two different wavelengths here. Maybe FFX-2's is better, I don't know. But my opinion stands, at least about ATB. I think it's pretty silly that I'm forced to wait a period of time before I can do anything, especially when anywhere within that period of time a boss could throw a random series of attacks that wipes out at least one of my characters. I also understand that I could simply grind my characters to a higher level to make things easier for myself, I just found it easier to turn off the game and play something that didn't wear on my patience so much.

edit: also, FFX was pretty much the only Final Fantasy where I found it necessary/reasonable to use magic outside of boss battles. Any normal battle in any other FFX pretty much consisted of "attack attack attack attack attack enemy dead".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:28:23 AM by Malson »

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
That's cool, bro

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
FFX-2 was fun. I never got far but it was waaaay more entertaining than most of the other FF games.
The chicks were also good looking and designed by japanese, which should be an oxymoron, but it isn't.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
The thing that I thought was cool about X-2 was the job class system. Sure, it seemed kinda corny the way it was set up (dresspheres, wtf) and some of the classes were useless, but the ability to switch classes and unlocking abilities like it had appeals to me. I will agree that the story line was pretty bad, and the blitzball was no fun along with the host of other minigames. Unlike the BB in X, I didn't see the point in playing- nothing that I am aware of that's worth having got awarded.

The voice acting, too was a little one dimensional,  but then again the actresses did their job. Rikku is supposed to be irritating; she was.

Rep:
Level 85
So..has anyone involved in this discussion even -played- ffxii?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I have. It takes a little getting used to. Got it last christmas, still haven't gotten far. After I finish my project, I think I;ll give it another go.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
So..has anyone involved in this discussion even -played- ffxii?

FF12? or FF X-2 ... they're different. lol. I've played FF12, though as I've also said, I haven't played FFX-2 before because of past reviews. (xii = 12 :P )

P.S. I'm assuming you mean X-2 just because of the current discussion.