RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
My RAM is being retarded.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
For some reason, no matter what I do on my laptop, I end up with almost constant periods of insane memory usage. Sometimes as bad as 50%, sometimes 99%. And I have no idea what's causing it. I've checked all my processes, and the largest memory usage of any program I have running at its peak is 200-250mb. Which is barely anything, considering my apparent physical memory usage is well over 1.5 GB. Is it possible that there's some process Windows can't recognize, or is my RAM just bad? Anyone who can help, I'd wholly appreciate it.

Don't worry about responding promptly. It's going to take me 10 minutes to refresh the page anyway =p

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Make a boot disk of memtest and let it scan.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
A possibility is a virus.
Hi

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Ran memtest, my sticks are fine. Scanned my computer and got rid of a couple trojans (i was told they were false positives) so we'll see what happens.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
download more ram

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
somebody missed the joke

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
im too tired now
Hi

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Okay, for now I'm just going to say it's resolved. Anski pretty much gave me a trojan and I hate him now =3

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
lol how did he
Hi

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
It may just be a laptop thing. Mine did the same thing. My 4 gigs of ram would suddenly only be 1 or 2, and there wouldn't be any thing taking that much memory. ~_~
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Update: the trojan was obviously a false positive, since it didnt make a damn bit of difference.

So here's where we are:

It's not bad ram.
It's not a virus.
It's not any program I have running.
This leaves only one option, as heretical as it might be: Vista.

I don't like the thought of using Vista as a scapegoat like everyone else, but I'm really down to zero other possibilities at the moment. And if the problem really is Vista having a horrible, silly memory leak, then my only option is to format, which is really the one thing i didnt want to do, but suppose i'll have to do. The problem is, I'm not sure how to go about it. I've only heard of countless problems from people trying to downgrade from Vista to XP, and wanted to know if anyone here has done it successfully, and if so, how. Any help would be appreciated.

Rep:
Level 83
Downgrading is easy if you have an XP OS disk, just save all the files you want to keep externally then wipe and start fresh. But before you do I really suggest you run chkdsk then defrag as a last ditch effort if you haven't already.
My life is like every script I write: It runs great except for the f*cked up bits.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
I've only heard of countless problems from people trying to upgrade from Vista to XP,
fixed.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
That wasn't even funny when i first heard it three years ago.

Either way, I did UPGRADE ( xD ) to XP and havent noticed any other issues. Whether it was the OS, or just that the computer needed a good wipe remains to be seen. Either way, topic resolved for now.