RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Games on a USB and Speakers problem

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah, my tech teacher at school allows people to play games for a bit, so I kinda want to get StarCraft(;8) and some 2DF ROMs on my USB so I can just play when I'm bored. :P

The 2DF ROMs are a cinch because I just put them in and set the ROM Path in the 2DF thang.

As for StarCraft, does anyone know how to make it work on a USB? Of course, another important question should be asked before continuing with StarCraft:

Is it even possible to install things to the USB and allow the game to work on any computer just by plugging the USB in and running the .exe? Adding registries are iffy because I don't think my school/school system would like it if I put game registries onto their computers >_>

Okay, regarding speakers:

My dad just got me a random pair of speakers because, yeh. They don't have any hole where I can play headphones into. I want to be able to use speakers or headphones at my choice :P The only option I have going for me is to unplug either one and stick the other one's cord into the back of my CPU every time I want to switch.

That's just annoying so I was wondering if there was a solution :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:27:31 PM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 83
X-PLAT!
@mastermoo - 2DF roms? as for Star Craft your USB drive needs to be at least 2GB.
                    StarCraft with BroodWar expansion is about 1.5GB...

PC right?
                    well make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked in your
                    Explorer Folder Options.
                    if you're only playing StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD
                    to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".

if you're playing Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft:Brood War CD
                    to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq".

then use the no CD patch... I think the latest is 1.16.1
                    here:http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21149&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2716

I use 1.15.1 ~runs like a champ (no CD) I'll upload if needed.

now copy the entire folder to your USB drive ~that should do the trick!
                    (there's better step by step tutorials for this)

as for your headphones/speakers...
                    -there's computer speakers that have a heaphone jack
                    -there's adapters that split the 1/8" into two!
                    so you can have your speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time.
                    whatever electronic store carries them ~

hope this helps ~and I just can't wait until StarCraft II!!! ~(G
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:15:49 PM by gameface101 »

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I just copy the install folder across and it usually works :/

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
@mastermoo - 2DF roms?
No need to pay attention to that.

as for Star Craft your USB drive needs to be at least 2GB.
StarCraft with BroodWar expansion is about 1.5GB...
Yeah, I know. First, you can take out movies and whatnot. Second, I'm buying a 4GB USB for $16. Hooray, newegg!

PC right?
                    well make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked in your
                    Explorer Folder Options.
                    if you're only playing StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD
                    to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".

if you're playing Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft:Brood War CD
                    to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq".

then use the no CD patch... I think the latest is 1.16.1
                    here:http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21149&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2716

I use 1.15.1 ~runs like a champ (no CD) I'll upload if needed.
Old trick is old. Plus, you don't even need the "no CD patch." If your patch is up-to-date, it should be fine. I plan to patch things over before I get it on there.

now copy the entire folder to your USB drive ~that should do the trick!
                    (there's better step by step tutorials for this)
Yeah, but other computers don't have the proper registries. But idk what I'm talking about. ;8

as for your headphones/speakers...
                    -there's computer speakers that have a heaphone jack
                    -there's adapters that split the 1/8" into two!
                    so you can have your speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time.
                    whatever electronic store carries them ~
At #1 - Obviously. My old ones had those and that's why I'm complaining. >_>
At #2 - Hmm... I might go for one of those.

@Link: Eh. I have a CD so :P

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Install the game to your PC as normal. Find a No-CD crack for it from here (don't worry, it's safe), replace the .exe with the cracked version. All you need to do now is copy the whole game folder to the USB stick.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
You could get a torrent version. I saw one that was only 100MB and it was already cracked.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Install the game to your PC as normal. Find a No-CD crack for it from here (don't worry, it's safe), replace the .exe with the cracked version. All you need to do now is copy the whole game folder to the USB stick.
Why do you need a No-CD crack? You don't need a CD for StarCraft to begin with if you have the latest patch + the original CD's contents. Unless there's a particular reason.