RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Final Fantasy IV-II: Skill Demo Here!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant

Less buggy Demo 5.0 coming soon!

Download http://rmrk.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34656.0;attach=19860

"It was like any other day in the Feymarch. I had audience with His and Her Majesty.I went to my room for research. Some of my friends stopped in to wish me well. I ate my midday meal. And then... I'm still not sure what happened next.

"All I know for certain is that the next instant I was somewhere else. Magical energies coruscated around me, burning my skin like fire. Then they invaded my mind, tearing, ripping, shredding my memories. Not just the magic, although that, I found later, was stolen from me too. The very memories surrounding the spells were gone! My friends, my mother, the Feymarch, Mist... everything and everyone I loved, gone... and I was powerless to stop any of it."
                                                                                   -Rydia

The Plot
Spoiler for:
Rydia finds herself in a strange place, apparently summoned by an unknown wizard. She is locked in the dungeon but escapes, aided by a friendly knight. He helps her find out why the antagonist summoned her here and why she can't remember her spells. She finds more people willing to help her recover her memories and finds herself leading a rebellion against a tyrant, who was the wizard that brought her here in the first place... Meanwhile, the tyrant's ambition spreads and threatens to enslave the country of Canopus and her neighboring kingdoms of Spinnaker and Oakhaven, home of the elves. The heroes find that political power is not the main goal of his conquests as mages from all over the globe are kidnapped and never heard from again. What else could he be after?

The Characters
Spoiler for:
Rydia the Caller                 
Young but not so naiive anymore, Rydia is a stranger in a strange land. She has been stripped of most of her spells, and wants to know why this has been done to her. During the game, she will re-learn some very powerful Black Magic and Summon Spells, but the most powerful spells are hidden away in very dangerous places- some not of this world at all.

Lazarus, the Holy Knight                          
A knight in training who offers to help Rydia escape Bintel Castle's dungeon. Selfless and compassionate, he is a champion of all good causes. He is a stout warrior whose Holy Sword skills can turn the tide of battle, but his true strength is in his ability to use some common White Magic spells which will carry the party through in the earlier stages.

Tividar, the Divine Knight             
Lazarus' teacher and master of the Mighty Sword. He is a lieutenent in a rebellion against the master of Bintel. He is a connsumate warrior, tough enough to withstand a lot of punishment. While not a spellcaster, per se, he wears heavy armour and wields some of the most devastating weaponry the world knows.

Matilda the Toadwitch                 
Her head is full of equal parts sunshine, bats, and self-rising cake flour. The source of much comedic relief, Mattie can still muster enough magic to be an asset to any party. Toadmagic combines some traditional status spells with lower/mid level damage spells. Not a big skillset, but fun to play with... and she makes delicious baked goods, some of which have lasting effects.

Mornay, the Alchemist                 
Another odd young soul. The orphanage says he grew up by the chocobo stables. Makes sense, he only speaks chocobo.
While presenting the appearance of a naiive, even childlike individual, Mornay is a talented Alchemist as well as an inventor. He won't ever be on the front line of combat, but if supported well his Tools and Alchemy just might save your bacon.

Shandril, the Geomancer             
An elf ranger, she has some "off-element" spell ability. She is passionate about reclaiming her homeland from the supernatural rot which is destroying the life around Oakhaven. She is sometimes seen as cruel, though if you ask her she is simply intolerant of evil. Although somewhat fragile, this lithe huntress has quite a deadly sting, whether wielding bow, dual blades, or calling upon the fury of Nature herself.

Donal,The White Wizard              
A Prince of Bintel, he is the main insurgent against Prince Bartuc of Canopus. Older and wiser than the other characters, but not frail. His willingness to to forgive even villains is sometimes a sore point in his dealings with the other characters. White Magic is his strength and mainstay, and often that of the party, as well.

]"Ginsu Jim" Yojimbo Gin Soo Yoshitsuna   
 A teacher of unarmed fighting. His country refuses to participate in what they see as petty politics, but "Jim" sees wisdom in following the heroes. Despite his age, his body is a finely tuned machine, able to break stone with his bare hands. He needs little in the way of weaponry or armour, and his combat prowess is nearly legendary in his country. He is also quite the gentleman with impeccable manners.

Lucy, the Psion                             
 The Librarian of Andretta City. Blind since birth, she posesses mental abilities that can stun, cripple or even destroy. She will sometimes say the strangest things that prove useful later... if you can figure out what she's talking about. Though she does not use physical weapons, her psionic strength will amaze you and devastate your enemies.

Jander, the Dragoon                     
A true soldier, he is calm under pressure and willing to go to any lengths to carry out his sworn duty of protecting Spinnaker and her people. He is proficient with the Dragoon's signature attack, the Jump skill, and can learn how to use other skills as well.

Who's that man in the black hat? I smell livestock! You look like a bad guy... Was that a Dwarf? Are we being followed? You can do what with a sword?
Even more characters await your discovery in this world!

Screenshots

Spoiler for:
Bintel Castle's Dungeon
Spoiler for:
Wayland town    
Spoiler for:

Bintel Castle's Interior                         
Spoiler for:

Rydia, Tividar and Lazarus in secret                       
Spoiler for:

Jander using his Jump attack
Spoiler for:
                                                        Download http://rmrk.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34656.0;attach=19861

A Short Intro Video
Spoiler for:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEn3vHq07U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEn3vHq07U</a>

Game Features
Spoiler for:
Many characters to choose from!
Ten main storyline characters and six not-so-obvious characters round out the cast of heroes.

Character sprites subject to change by final version             

A variety of classes!
From good old standards like the Caller, White Wizard and Dragoon to less common types such as Geomancers, Alchemists and the esoteric Toadwitch, you are sure to find a party to suit your style of adventuring.

Customisable Menu Interface!
Don't like the default windowskin? Change it! Want a different font? Included are several attractive fonts to mix things up a bit.

12 skins and 10 fonts are included

Create your own potions, tools, and many other battle use items!
Use acquired reagents and alchemy to mix up some really useful recovery items, and even some one-use, permanent stat boosters. Be the first to discover the formula for Omegalixir, or the recipie for Power Pot Roast.

Travel the globe in style!
Use a 3-mast ship or even the legendary lighter-than-air balloon to reach your destinations. Be careful, though, some vehicles are easier to park than others...

Secrets, easter eggs and hidden stuff!
Find all kinds of treasures and ancient places off the beaten path, like the Grave of Erdrick, The M00s Den, the sword Joyeuse, and the Tail Collector's House. Use artifact weapons against overwhelmingly powerful monsters forgotten by all. Find gateways to other worlds.

MINI GAMES!
Break up the grind by solving puzzles and mini games scattered throughout the globe.

Monster Journal Deluxe!
Various scan spells of escalating power add similarly escalating information to a menu-accessible bestiary. Now you don't need to keep scanning an enemy to see what your party already knows.

More information is availabe with stronger spells

Music by Nobuo Uematsu and art by Yoshitaka Amano!
The BGM's and face art should really conjure up the atmosphere of the Final Fantasy franchise's earlier days.

In depth skill descriptions, after-battle reports, and much more!

Download http://rmrk.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34656.0;attach=19862
                                      Experience and loot screen

Credits
Spoiler for:
Yanfly, ahref, Modern Algebra, KGC, Rubymatt, Pacman for scripting; all the scripters involved in the Tankentai SBS 3.3, such as Kylock, Mr.Bubble, and of course Tankentai; SD Arius, for iconset and charsheets for NPC's and dwarves; Mein Captein for graphics work; Elaynii for box art; grafikal for technical and mapping guidance; Zylos fur moral support and the mini-games; Woratana for scripts and windowskin generator; the FF VX team for a few amazing tiles, Tezuka for the new starting screen, D&P3 for a little scriplet or two and promotional videos and Elaynii for the new thread banner. Special thanks to Pacman for helping to crack a few especially hard nuts in the events and scripts department!

Square-Enix is sole proprietor of the Final Fantasy franchise, artwork, music and related indicia, so let's hope they don't take offense to this project.

Demos and Downloads
Spoiler for:
The Skill demo, featuring a few of the main characters and two of the hidden characters, is available for download here! It contains several skills to give you an overview of the combat system, and even includes 3 characters with Desparation Attacks enabled. Not intended to be a game demo, and animations are subject to change by the final cut. Just a reminder: you will need your own RTP (you can get it here) and you must insert the provided font into your fonts folder!

The to do list:
Spoiler for:
Constant playtesting
Loop BGMs (65% so far)
Skill Animations (80% so far)
Remaining Dungeon and town mapping (56% so far)
Need graphic of several weapon icons: a drill, chainsaw, nailgun, a flashlight, a belt sander, a palm sander.
Need help on making the elves look more elf-y.

The storyline is playable to a little under half the epic tale!
If you like the direction I'm going in, please show your support!

Peace and hair grease.

:ccbync:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:06:00 AM by EvilM00s »
:tinysmile:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Good luck. It sounds like you have a plan instead of just throwing things together. A note though: Fan games aren't the best choice of first games to create. People tend to have too high expectations and considering how fresh you are, a lot of those expectations are extremely difficult to get up to. Again, good luck though and I hope to see some screenshots. I'll try and help you out with any mapping problems if there are any.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Thank you, grafikal, for the good mojo. I love the song, BTW. :blizj:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I'm always a bit skeptical about Final Fantasy fan games, as I've only ever seen one that's been successful so far. But you sound as though you have a good head on you, so I'll be keeping an open eye on this. Good luck, and throw some screenshots in as soon as you can. :3

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thank you, Zylos, for taking interest in this project.

Truthfully, I'm a bit skeptical too, this being my first game and all, and judging by the games I've seen in the "complete" forum, I have much to learn! And, as grafikal said, fan games are apoor first choice for many reasons. Still, you gotta start somewhere. I hope when I'm done, the least that can be said is that it's good for a rookie.

Screenshots will be posted later today... as long as the job leaves me alone... ;)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Well I was going to post some screenies today, but evidently I don't remember how to do it correctly. It seems that alt+printscreen isn't good enough for my computer. I'll figure it out later. I have a 3 day weekend.

I'm kind of disappointed though. I was all excited to show you Matilda's house.

I  finished  a town  or  two. As  soon as i figure  out this screenshot  BS you can  see  'em,  too. 

The  database is nearing completion. I  find myself adding  to  it  as  the plot progresses...Oh,  one  more item/weapon/armor  won't hurt...

I'm gonna  go  see  if  I  can't get you a screenie now.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:55:36 AM by EvilM00s »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Instead of posting all your updates in new posts, edit your first post and put that information there. You can make a new posts writing that you made an update if you want, but after so many updates, no one will care since no one wants to filter through an entire topic to find all the updates.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Per the mod's suggestion, all furrther updates will be edits of the first post.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:10:41 AM by EvilM00s »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Your exteriors need help. Buildings especially. I think that your interior is your best screenshot though I find it really cluttery. Cluttery as in there's a lot of things on the wall there. Beds randomly in the middle of the room feel reeeeally awkward. Also, you're using the incorrect wall and ceiling tiles. The ones you're using at the moment are part of the outdoor set. The indoor set is below those and above the floor tiles. Your world map seems ok from a distance, but I'm assuming you're using the RTP, and I know that a world map doesn't look like that using the World Map tiles from TileA. I think you're using the map autotiles instead. The difference being, that when a normal map autotile meets a world map autotile, instead of blending similarly, they create a nasty harsh edge between the two tiles. I can't say for sure, but you have a really far shot of the world map. Also, I would suggest you tone down your world map's size. 500x500 is extremely large. It might look and feel alright when you play it with just maps, but when you start laying down events and key up some scripts, that map is going to be so slow. If you're on the world map and go into the menu, when you exit the menu it'll freeze for a little bit before going back to the map. VX doesn't handle it as well as you would think. I would say max maybe like 300x300.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Ok, food for thought.

Concerning the exteriors, I was trying to mix up my tile selection as much as possible. I'll go back and try to see what you mean.
With the interior, though, I don't see the difference as long as it looks like what one wants. Tinkering may change my opinion.

As far as the world map goes, you're right. There ARE harsh edges; I just thought that was the nature of the VX beast. Looks like a mapping tutorial would be in order. How embarassing.

I agree, the size is excessive. I figured I'd fill it, but it seems I dont need as much space as I first thought to satisfy the story.
Later today I'll post some screens of towns I finished yesterday, see what you think of them;  probably some same tileset agreement problems.

As always, thank you for your  input.

EDIT: Yes, I see what ya mean on the world map. In some areas, though, I wanted a certain tile  that just  gives that edge. I'll look for alternatives, because -wow- it  looks so much better without them!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:32:52 PM by EvilM00s »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Also I noticed that in the image of your exterior, the waters edge can be seen at the very bottom of the screenshot. I don't know if you wanted it like that or if you meant to have the water leave off screen, but do that, hold in SHIFT and then click with what ever tile you have. When you do that with autotiles, it automatically used the center 'fill' autotile and doesn't create the nice border or anything. I don't really know how to explain it. Just do it a couple times and I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You  know, I DID want that water down there,  but neat trick all the same.

After retooling my world map, I've noticed some problems of placement  and I think  I'll just start over. As I was  doing the retile,  I felt  a bit limited in what I have at my  disposal,  but it  looks soooooooo   much  better. I'll  start  looking for  a  tile  mod for those autotiles, i'm sure there's one  to  be had.

Edit: I recently found a project which has a lot of scripting I like. I figure I'll bring the game from my work computer to my home computer, take it apart, and keep the scripts i need. Sure beats poring over a database, especially since i don't know one version from another...

Edit: I'm a moron. I just looked at the first screenshot and saw shoreline along the bottom. I misunderstood you.
Fail... screenshot removed for editing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:08:26 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Okay, so I swallowed some pride, read a bunch of tutorials, played a bunch of RMVX games by authors who know what they're doing, and concluded that I could do a lot of visual stuff better. Like, a lot better. So, I'm goin back to every map and making them cleaner/more interesting/generally better.

Grafikal, I can't thank you enough for your honest yet non-adversarial criticism. Also, I think you'll recognise some of your resource work in the upcoming screens- which I hope to have up by 9/16.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I'm curious, have you played any of my my graphic demos? It's like a super sketchy demo of my game. There're no working NPCs but I made them mostly so people have something to look at. If you have, then nice, it's a good start of something to look at, if not, I'll scrounge up something or get you the latest link.

Actually, if you'd like I can PM you what I sent to Maia the other week. It hasn't changed, but it's an intro to a full scale castle (interior), an epic scaled sewage system (only a part of it since it's not all mapped but not to worry, you shouldn't be getting lost since it's a puzzle and kind of explanatory), then you can check out my world map which I take the most pride in since it's what I spent the majority of my time working on, there's 1 town which isn't completely finished but good enough for show (it's mostly small things missing like sound effects in the correct places and things), there's a medium sized plains zone to walk through and the first 2 maps of what is planned to be an epic black forest maze.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:02:12 AM by grafikal »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Fire away! I would be tickled to see what you have. If yer demos (which I did DL) are any indication, it should be visually pleasing.

BTW, new screenie of first dungeon and town above. I hope it looks as improved to everyone as it did to me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:10:44 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Against my better judgement, I am posting my first ever sprite re-do. It's from the Pineda FF IV sprite sheet. You'll see the modifications I made. I'm a little nervous to see what you all think. (Translation: I'm terrified of embarassing myself.)

Anyway, there she is, your heroine. She's the one with pink shit in her hair and showing less skin.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad230/EvilM00s/RydiaSpriteSheetVX.png
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:21:32 AM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member
I think it looks pretty good myself. Nice stuff.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Oh, thank you! I followed the advice of a tutorial I found here at the forum. I'm so glad it looks okay!

As long as  I'm posting, the database is complete and map re-draws are 60% done as well. I will pick the best screens and post by 10/8 in the top section of this thread.

Also by that time I'll have faces for the chars. It's some Amano work that I thought would go nicely with the characters, plus the characters themselves.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:59:01 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Faces are up, but no screens. I'll get that tomorrow.

What do you think of the faces? Would something else be better, or does using Amano's work give the feel of the franchise?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I like the faces, but I don't like that they appear to be different styles of artwork and different resolutions.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
The resoultion can be fixed, I think. As far as the style, I had hoped that since it was all from the same artist they would all blend a bit btter. I do see yer point though, I'll look for alternatives.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Well, they kind of seem to be the same art style, it's just that the one seems to be way more saturated than the others and some have different colored backgrounds, and one has some weird line running down the left side of it and stuff. Just a lot of little things. If they all had transparent backgrounds and similar saturation, it would appear better I think.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I would expect you to see that kind of stuff, (that's a compliment, btw) and thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I can find the same image without such vibrant color compared to the others.

Transparent backgrounds, huh? I think I may look into that... it'll take a lot of work, but I can do it.

The line you see is my craptastic image editing, lol.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
lol, if you have photoshop, you can just reduce the saturation of images without completely desaturating them. I think maybe Gimp does that too. Gimp is at least free.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I have Gimp! I'll give that a try, because I really like that image for Tividar's face. It just... looks like him. I guess I've been using Windows Paint (fail) for so long I forgot what Gimp can do. Thanks a million, graf.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Added Game Features section to main post. These are already in, tested and working!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Much of the "game engine" scripting is in, but needs configuring. Still, I feel that the game is taking shape. New to the main post are three screens, one of which shows an in-game cutscene, and another showing the party selection menu- nothing new to many of you, I'm sure, but it shows all of the characters. Please note that a few of the sprites will change as time goes by.

Once the engine is properly configured, mapping (and in some cases, re-mapping) can take place, with cutscenes being put in simultaneously.

The next task is to post something more to look at with the game features, to give an idea of how those things will look and work. Alternate windowskins will be shown occasionally, as will alternate text fonts.

I am also fiddling with Tileset E to get a more customised look to the maps.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:56:30 AM by Samurai Jack »

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
This looks fantastic! Darn! I wish I could get my game up  :-\

This is looking really good, Jack. When will we get a demo?
Winter is Coming

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Well, my first task is to finish the scripting and common events- you know, the stuff that makes it work like it's supposed to. Once that's done, it shouldn't be long. I am trying very hard to get to that stage! I would estimate another 3 weeks, if I'm lucky.

And thanks for the good mojo!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:12:04 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I have decided to use a different sprite for Rydia; the one I modified just looked... odd to me. Here is the heroine herself, in what may be her final form. Thanks to the Famitsu character generator and the free Gimp program!

Spoiler for:

I'm pretty content with the other character chips I have, too. You can see some of the characters in the party select screenshot.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:01:52 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
A loot screen with an alternate font is now shown on the main post, and there are two music clips there, as well. I'm finally happy with my tile E, but some of the icons (particularly those used for Yanfly's Bestiary and Skill Query[screenshot pending]) I wanted to redraw. At the time of this writing I have finished the icons for said scripts and will continue work on custom skill icons.

Tasks are being crossed off my "to do" list fairly quickly now, it shouldn't be long untill I can tackle the SBS and some minor configs in the scripts and database. I project that a demo will be available by Thanksgiving, at the latest. The demo will take the player through the first two dungeon areas and the first three towns. It's not going to stick to the exact storyline because I will have you meet all ten storyline characters at levels that show some of their skills.

But enough of all that, back to work for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:09:13 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
A bestiary screen with new icons is up, as is a menu screen. I just saw a few errors I will need to correct in the shots, like Lazarus' class being absent. Oh well. Bintel Dungeon is now from an in-game perspective rather than the map drawing screen.

I have put in all the scripts I need to complete the engine except for two; the SBS and the battle backdrop script. I'm having trouble with the latter, the one I got here does not seem to work so I'll try some script-fu to fix it. Either way, still a ton of config I need to do. On the other hand, the "to-do" list is getting shorter and shorter untill I have a playable demo. I want to give you something good, so I'm gonna take my time.

The amount of time I am able to invest in game making is averaging out to an hour each day- usually I'll get three hours here, skip a few days, so forth and so on. Makes it tough to stay on task sometimes. The other major frustration is that I spend so much time at work with a better computer than I have at home, but I can't use RMVX due to internet restrictions. Bleah.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:24:32 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Happy!

I have all the major components of the game engine in. All I need to do now is insert some plug 'n' play scripts for minor functions and configure all the new script functions to my liking, such as the alchemy and bestiary, and get a few common animations up and running. Actually, it's a pretty big job, but it's one that I can do with relative ease. I cleaned up the database so that skillsets are all together and the order of skills matches the order of classes and actors who play them. In other words, when you look at actors, it says Jim, Laz, Tiv, etc.; classes are Monk, Holy Knight, Divine Knight; skillsets appear as Tae, Holy Sword, Mighty Sword. On that note, if any new game designers are reading this, do yourself a favor and keep that DB organized!

Here are the tasks I will be tackling next
Spoiler for:
*Put in a cred screen, Different ways to Die, Extra Drops, and a Battleback script. If anyone can help with the latter, please PM me.
*A few tweaks to the Bestiary, Scan spells, monster descriptions and monster config in the DB.
*Input recipies (called "grimoires") and reagents in the DB for use with Item Synth (or "alchemy")
*Configure some skills that cost HP rather than MP
*Start work on some custom animations for custom skills. Back to the spriting board...

The biggest deal, the SBS, proved to be not so scary after I read the instructions and the relevant parts of the script a few times. Now that the SBS bugbear is whipped, so to speak, I feel that a demo is not far away. To do that, I will get some of the lower-level skills, items, weapons, etc. in proper working order and revamp some of the dungeon areas. Looking back on what I had originally mapped, I'm kind of embarassed... but I will redeem myself, thanks to the guidance I have recieved at this forum.

With that said, I'm always looking ahead to other tasks, and I have assembled some pictures of some monsters I want to have as Rydia's eidolons.

Bomb
Spoiler for:

King Tonberry
Spoiler for:

Ifrit
Spoiler for:

The above images are not even close to final renditions, resolutions, or anything else- just ideas.
More music and a battle screen have been added to the main post. I'm gonna be busy in the next week, but I'll try to get something up worth looking at by the 11th. Peace and hair grease!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:01:48 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I have implemented battle backgrounds into the system. The reason why they didn't work for me is because I am a script idiot and failed to understand the directions properly, but once I did, it worked just fine. I didn't like it so I went with a different script. Kinda funny that the new script is more complex but I got it running in no time at all.

The configuring of existing scripts is giong well, most script-dependant skills are working properly, as are the goodies in the I/W/A database. The entire DB is cleaned up and easy to use, so development should go smoother. The credit screen is in and will be seen at the end of the demo and game.

There should be a demo in the next two weeks. Lots of real life stuff to do this week, but I get Friday through Sunday off of work. You may get a demo as early as Monday, November 16th...

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I'm going to assume that your character sheet's file name has a ! in it... Do not use the ! with actual characters. That's only used for objects. In your first screenshot in the castle dungeon, it's obvious. When you use !, it brings your character's position on screen down to the grid line which makes your character look like it's walking on top of the tile below it rather than walking on a floor. With no !, your character is automatically raised a couple pixels off the base gridline. It looks like you need to undo this with all your non-RTP characters.
In your Wayland Town screenshot, try to fix the yellow roofed building's roof. It should be 2 tiles tall instead of 1. Also, I don't particularly prefer the use of those stone tiles as a path since it's the same tile and obviously repeated. It gets monotonous. If there were many different variations of a stone path and you used them in a random combination, I'd say that's awesome. I would prefer the use of the stone autotile or even just the dirt autotile. Your mapping has really improved otherwise.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Your mapping has really improved otherwise.

Coming from you, that means a lot to me! Thank you so much.

And yep, you guessed right. I wondered what was going on with the "sunk" look to the sprites. I'll fix that ASAP.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
No demo today.  ;9 Sorry. Real life stuff took precedence yet again, and I could not finish work on the demo. As it was, I sacrificed some sleep to put together what I did. However, I made a helluva good start. The character sheets have had the ! removed so they are in the middle of the tiles as opposed to on top of the grid line, and the introductory scenes are working properly... I think. I'm using parallel processes to drive the scenes, but I'm not sure if I programmed it so they will not be there the next time you visit the area. The plan is to take the player through Bintel Dungeon, the world map to Wayland, and through the Goblin Cave where Rydia will relearn the Goblin call. Then you go to Spinnaker, where the scene changes to Tresserhorn. There you will guide Mornay to Matilda, and then go to Wayland again.

The demo will hopefully showcase the battle system, battle backs, various skills, the Alchemy function, the bestiary and the menu functions. I hope to have it complete by 11/19 at the latest.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:12:45 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Still no demo. I suppose I could throw what I have at you, but its almost unplayable. Lots of bugs, mainly because I get distracted a lot at home. Oh, well. Just a few more days... its so close I can taste it.

The skeleton is there, it just needs some more flesh. Here's to hoping for a Thanksgiving demo.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Eech. The demo is on the main page. I wanted to put more work into it; as it stands it's kinda boring but it gives you a glimpse of what the game is about- I guess that's what a demo is. Still, even with all the distractions, I had hoped to put out something better with more features and thing to do. Give me to after Thanksgiving and I'll have it, I promise. That having been said...

I hope at least the demo gives you a sense of what the game will be. I chose not to include several characters, I want them to be surprises. Many graphical improvements are coming, better sound, and a more organized line of play with more background information as well. What I'd like in the way of feedback is technical stuff I may have missed. Make sure to install the included font. I hope it can at least be said that it could be entertaining once it's more polished.

Now it's off to deal with some of those distractions...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:46:39 AM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 83
Couple things

1 - You are missing a couple music pieces. The one you need to start is missing. (13 - The Emperor Gestahl)
2 - MP3s get bad quality with VX. Try and convert them to oggs, which will also help with the size of the demo.

So....thats all for now

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I can't believe I did that... okay, try this one.

I think the file size had something to do with all the garbage in it; I fixed that, too.

How can I convert my mp3's to oog? It sounds complicated... but I'd love to if it will save space.

Here's a link, in case you don't wanna go back to page 1.
Here ya go.

edited to reflect 2.1 changes
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:29:34 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Version 1.4 out, all links fixed. Added Goblin Cave, put encounters back into Bintel dungeon.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I got RMVX to get past the 'net filters at work, so I've had a bunch more time to play around with the game. Thus do I give you FF IV II v1.6. This is the product I wanted to give you by Thanksgiving. This is what I wanted you to play. After you're done, tell me if you would go back and re-map the town of Wayland. Compared to Spinnaker, I feel it is kinda primitive; it was the first map I made. I'm probably going to change the Inn layout at any rate.

Get it here.
I hope you have fun, and please tell me what you think.

EDIT: Whoops. Wrong file, fix'd now.
Edited to reflect 2.1 changes
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:30:20 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just thought I'd post an update. Eventing is not my strong point, so it's going a bit slower than I want, but progress is being made. Spinnaker Castle is my next big task and it's going pretty well. The story has taken its next big step from the end of the demo, and sometime next month I'll release another, longer, less buggy demo.

I saw that the 1.6 demo has been DL'd 6 times, thanks for taking interest!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Merry Christmas, y'all. 14 downloads, wow! Still working on the game as much as I can between work and the Brute Squad.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Long time since last post. Work is slow, mainly due to Brute Squad work. Oh, and I injured my hands at work last week. Don't worry, though- the game is still progressing.  26 downloads? Wow! But still no feedback, hmmm...

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I promise to download and give you some feedback :police:
:taco: :taco: :taco:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Aww, thanks Skanks!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Some comments I recieved from my playtesters involved some weather effect bugs and spelling errors, but other than that reviews are positive. Now that my hands are in better shape, its time to get back on the stick, so to speak and get the game development back on schedule.

I added a lottery mini-game, designed by grafikal, into an optional area just north of Spinnaker Castle. I intend to finish the progression up to traveling to the elf city of Oakhaven before releasing another demo update. The forthcoming update, version2.0, will have numerous bugs fixed and will incorporate more characters, new skills and more alchemy and cooking recipies. The grocery store in Spinnaker will be open for Matilda's cooking (a new alchemy-like addon) and there will be more enemies in the general overworld than just Flan Sucre.

Some confusion ensued with my playtesters as to how to get the game to run in the first place, so to clarify: you will need to install the RMVX RTP to play. You will also need to copy the enclosed font (its in the root directory after you install the demo) into your fonts folder under WINDOWS for PC users. I'm sure there is something similar for Apple users.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Since joining Brute Squad, work has all but halted on this project, but I still tinker with it every day. In a month or so, I'd like to have a demo 2.0 available which will take the player all the way to Oakhaven. What does that mean, you ask? Wait and see, my little friend...

Rep:
Level 83
How can I convert my mp3's to oog? It sounds complicated... but I'd love to if it will save space.

I really haven't been active much since my post here, but now that I look, if you still need it, here are a couple links. I don't use them myself but...

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thanks, red. I'll poke around and see what works.

As you may have noticed, progress has slowed a bit since Brute Squad came up. We're still working on a game together, and I'm still working on this project. Your patience will be rewarded, I promise! Sometime in the next day or two, another release will be made that brings the player just a tad farther, but the main deal will be bug fixes and better quality to the demo itself.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
So a couple days turned into a couple weeks. Sue me, lol.

Here's version 2.0. Many fixes, more content- a better product. Enjoy!

I hope you like it!

updated to reflect 2.1 changes
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:27:40 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
While I am slightly disappointed by the lack of feedback, the new version has 14 downloads. Cool.

Rep:
Level 83
Vista won't let me download it. Otherwise, I would

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Well, thanks for trying...

Lemme know if you do get it, please.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
wowowow!!  :) ;) :D ;D :lol: :-X :-X :-X :lol:

Rep:
Level 81
?????????????
;) ;) ;) NICE GAME, BUT GRAPHIC IS VERY MIXED AND DIFFERENT... ;) ;) ;)
遠い銀河からのスーパー戦士。
本は、セバスチャンです。
これは強力で、手に負えない。
彼の物理レベルのスキルは驚嘆です。[/b]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Finally, some more feedback!

wowowow!!  :) ;) :D ;D :lol: :-X :-X :-X :lol:

Thanks! I've tried to make it as entertaining and true to the series as possible. What specifically do you like? Any dislikes?

;) ;) ;) NICE GAME, BUT GRAPHIC IS VERY MIXED AND DIFFERENT... ;) ;) ;)

Can you give some specific examples, please? I will admit, I'm no pixel artist, so I have to depend on a lot of rips. The monsters are not nearly complete, but the ones I have were mostly ripped from PSP Final Fantasy.

Thank you for your feedback! Keep it coming!

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
Lol, I can edit your game in the RMVX Program .. Make it uneditable so it looks more pro and will not be in unhackable state.  :blizj:

Rep:
Level 83
I think he knows that. Alot of the RM games that are made get released are not encrypted. They wait til the final release to encrypt it, and even then, some don't.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Yep, what red said. I don't think I'm gonna encrypt it; aside from the writing, there really is very little oroginal work. I mean, sure, I gathered the resources and arranged them, and tweaked a few settings and numbers here and there, but the only truly original stuff is the icons for the bestiary and the writing.

Not only that, but some inexperienced guy may pick this up and try to figure out how it works so he can build his own game or just pick up some tiles or music they like. It's about sharing, I guess.

I do appreciate the comments!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
doesn't really matter either way. there are simple simple simple programs that you just drag and drop the encrypted project into it and BAM now unencrypted.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
A freind of mine just played through the demo and pointed out some bugs that need fixing. So it is with renewed purpose that I embark once again on the task of putting together this project, and you can expect to see an update within a month. See you then!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Okay, updated faster than expected. Here is the new link. It's all the files I'm using so far, including the .bmp image for the installer program that i did not use this time. Anyway, lots of fixes and some new content. Enjoy!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Okay, new 2.1 file uploaded. It uses the installer program. NOTE: the link is either here or on the main page! I'm too lazy to change the other ones.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:00:49 AM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
This is possibly the best fan-game I've seen made by RPG Maker.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Reading that makes all the effort SO worth it. A googleplex thank you's, coz!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I messed up and gave you an incomplete version! I'll have the error fixed soon!

EDIT: Here is the new installer, with several bugs fixed and some trash removed. This link will take you to the update. A huge thanks to my playtesters, Wayne, Kelly, Brandon and "Bucknasty"!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:00:08 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
The next "phase" of the story is complete. The party splits and has two concurrent storylines to play out, culminating in a meeting in an elven city- they pick up the airship, too. I had to fix a ton of scriping that the SBS messed with, but all is now well. I also took grafikal's warp item event system and modified it to allow for the Exit and Warp spells! The monsters now have a more uniform art style, too. Next step is to figure out the Toad, Piggy and Small spells for monster battlers. A new, longer demo is forthcoming!  Until then, dudes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:29:09 AM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
Dude, I gotta give you MAD props! This game is really good.

It actually FEELS like a classic FF game! Holy Shit!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
It is SO good to see that it's an enjoyable game, and even better to see that it's a good take on the franchise. Thank you so much!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
OH GODS. I think the USB drive I keep this project on has been fried by my shitty work computer. OH GODS, NO! If the drive is shit, and not just the USB port, I have a ton of catch-up to do. Note to self: always back up your data. SHIT.

I don't get it. All of a sudden, everything to do with RMVX is fucking GONE, dudes. WTH is going on?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:23:11 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
It is confirmed- the USB drive is garbage. All information lost. AAARRRRGH!

Minor setback.

SO, here I go, recompiling resources, backing up files as I go. I see a 2 week moratorium on actual development untill I get caught up with where I was two posts ago. Hopefully I can make it a bit "cleaner" this time... it'll be fun, right?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
OUCH. ._.;;;;

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Yeah, ouch. Thanks for saying so. Well, I have all my graphics back in and some script and event tweaking done and skills revamped... tryth be told, I wonder how this game functioned as well as it did, what with all the streamlining I find myself doing.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
All caught up on monssters, now- not that I'm saying the monster DB is finished, just caught up. I was also able to put the warp and exit spell functionality back in, thanks again to grafikal for the event system. I may be all squared up faster than anticipated...

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That's good. I suppose this is a good reminder to you to backup everything, huh?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You bet your furry ass, it is! And so far I've done so religiously, every hour.

I just got done with the battle background transition events. Once again, the backgrounds look like where you are in the game instead of that swirly bowl of dog shit default background. This required some map tweaking, but all in all it remains true to what I put there originally and, more importantly, it looks pretty good.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
All is progressing well. As I go through again, the programming gets better and the story gets richer. By the middle of next week, the update should be complete, and will be posted to the file hosting site I use. As the file size is becoming quite large to accomodate the richness of the game, I may need to use an alternative FHS, but all such information will be provided in the update.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Sooooo...

I will be uploading the new version of the demo today, likely around midnight. This should really look nice and sound good. I know the file size is enormous, but please bear with me- it's the only way I could fit the quality I think is needed for a game like this. Stay tuned for demo 2.2!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
The new demo is here, polished and playable. As always, expect some bugs and report any you find, please. I give you v3.0 ( it's too improved for 2.2) here and on the main page. I hope it's enjoyable!

Rep:
Level 83
When I switch to my Windows partition in a while, I will download and play this.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Sweet! I'd love your opinion.

Rep:
Level 83
Ok, I just downloaded it, and started to play. However, I can not continue. After she puts the guard to sleep in the beginning, I got stuck. Unable to move. I could call the menu but it would not work. I will try it again, and see if I get the same error

EDIT 1:
There is a small error in the beginning. I can call the menu screen while you have the assassin guy. Just a small thing

EDIT 2:
Didn't get stuck this time. Going on with rest of demo.

EDIT 3:
I died immediately after the cutscene when she gets out the the cell. Reason. Random battle with opponents way too strong. Couldn't escape.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:10:59 AM by redyugi »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Yeah. Forgot about the menu screen for the intro.

I have never gotten the stuck error in the first dungeon, nor have my PT's. I wonder what happened?

The encounters are supposed to be really hard at first, but I assure you they can be done. And, after the first successful encounter, you can beat the guards MUCH more easily. Keep trying, I promise it can be done. I will, however, take the difficulty into advisement and tone it down it down for the final version.

Thanks for trying it out!

Rep:
Level 76
Please don't make me...
Hm...I'll DL it and try tonight.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I think there has to be some way to make the first battle easier, for example, a tutorial battle. The first battle was hell for me.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hm, good idea; maybe a tutorial battle IS in order. You see, while it was intended for the first battle to be hellish (I wanted to give the player the perception that poor li'l Rydia was fragile and weak without her spells), evidently, I took this concept too far. I will fix this in later versions, my friends, and thank you very much for the feedback! This is exactly the kind of information I need to make a better product.

Please let me know your experience of the remainder of the game, gents! 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:20:41 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 83
Well, I will get around to trying it again later tonight. I rather dislike going over to my Windows partition, but I like the premise of your game so..

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just want to assure you that development is proceeding, slowly, due to my lack of scripting knowledge. If any of you studly rock star scripters can help with a Piggy/Small/Toad script, PLEASE contact me!

In the meantime, all else is going swimmingly, and should be completed by Christmas!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Still need a script bailout, but I worked around a bit of writer's block, got the story back on track, and even threw in some easter eggs. Looking at it realistically, maybe Christmas is a bit ambitious, but I'm going to try.

Seems that the spoiler tags are broken...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:36:13 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Okay, I screwed up. Rather, my electronics did... The big bad guy was called Renshi, right? Yeah. He's a mid game boss. Somehow my troops data was corrupted and put him as a Bintel Magus. I wondered what you were all talking about! Fix'd, and soon a new vesion.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Well, that's two flash drives that have crapped out on me. Fortunately, I have a backup, and have only lost an hour or two of work. Christmas is only a month and a half away, and I hope I can get it done by then...
maybe I can get a new flash drive before then, 'cause this is rediculous.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
BTW, I fixed the data malfunction. Here is the updated file. Please let me know how you like it!

Rep:
Level 75
Death is life's way of firing you
Man, this looks awesome but the game won't play.

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
Rm2k Advanced
Wow this looks really cool, I like where you're going with it. I hope the problems you mentioned get resolved.
http://hawkeyegames.blogspot.com/
My new Rpg Making blog; a new life to the old Hawk Games from 2006

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Man, this looks awesome but the game won't play.

Thank you, sir! Do you have the RTP for vx installed? Did you paste the font in your fonts folder in windows? What's the error message when the game doesn't play?

Rep:
Level 75
Death is life's way of firing you
The fonts might just be the problem. Thanks!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I hope that's all that was wrong, and enjoy!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Wayland town entirely rdone, and made the choice to replace the RTP
with famitsu characters. Each town will have a color scheme that will hopefully make the PCs "pop" even more.

Spoiler for:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
The use of BulletXT's tile swapper has necessitated the remodel of many areas, most of which is done. After that, I can go forward in the storyline and actually make some forward progress instead of all the retooling I'm currently involved in. The first dungeon will have its monster list revised, so that the encounters aren't so tough and so Rydia doesn't gain several levels at a time. If all goes well, a new demo should be available by the end of January!

PLAYTESTERS WANTED: I could use a hand with playtesting. Your duties would include noting and reporting spelling errors, ensuring that all message windows were at the top of the screen, and compiling a list of issues like tileset errors, any missing sprites or music, and Helping to tweak difficulty level. Interested? PM me.

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Hi umm this might sound really stupid but i cant find the download link :O
Could you help me out? thanx can't wait to try this out :)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
It's on page one, sir. Look toward the bottom of the first post.

Or click Here.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just dropping a line to say that this project is still alive; I'm waiting on a script and some pixel art. Mapping and playtesting are going slow but otherwise well.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Slow and stead is always the ticket. Unless you're in a contest, you should work at your own pace, slow or as fast as it may be. That's the best way to get things to work exactly as you wish them to.

...just don't be Duke Nukem Forever and claim you'll have it ready next week 1000 times.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Lol, advice taken!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
If anyone can write a script restricting airship landing, please contact me. I need one!

Other than that, the project is back pon track, and another town is finished. This brings us to 3/5 complete!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hey. Just a quick note to say that after some minor surgery and installment at a new big-boy job, I am still alive and working on this project. Although the engine still needs the scripts i mentioned, it is otherwise still alive! Stay tuned, my friends...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:30:20 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
This post has been moved to the front for ease of access.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:31:59 PM by EvilM00s »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
How would this airship restrictions script work? It would probably be quite simple, maybe an alias or overwrite of a method or two. But I've never worked that much in Game_Vehicle before, so it might take a bit longer to get my head around.

Anyway, would it be a tag in the event name or a special tile or what?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
It would be an event, which would allow the airship to land when activated. ahref mae a script that does the same thing for the boat (which I am using) but I'm a fail scricpter and I can't seem to figure out how to modify it. Also, I am using a ton of script, and I dont know which ones may or may not be interfereing with what. However, If you can figure it out, I will name my next child after you.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Your next child's name is either Tim or Pacman.
Here we go.
Code: [Select]
#===============================================================================
#
# Airports
# Pacman (04/12/2011), based on a script by Ahref (10/04/2008)
# For EvilM00s
# Version 1.0
#
#===============================================================================
#
# This script will only allow you to land from an airship on an event designated
# as an airport.
# To recognize an event as an airport, put this tag in the event's name.
# \AIRPORT
# It is case insensitive, so it can be \airport, \Airport, \aIrpoRt, whatever.
#

#==============================================================================
# ** Game_Player
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class handles maps. It includes event starting determinants and map
# scrolling functions. The instance of this class is referenced by $game_map.

class Game_Player < Game_Character
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Get the player's airport status
  def at_airport(x, y)
    event = $game_map.events_xy(x, y)
    return false if event.empty?
    if (event[0].name[/\\AIRPORT/i]) != nil
      return true
    else
      return false
    end
  end
  # * Check if you can land
  def airship_land_ok?(x, y, *args)
    front_x = $game_map.x_with_direction(@x, @direction)
    front_y = $game_map.y_with_direction(@y, @direction)
    unless at_airport(front_x, front_y)
      return false
    end
    return true       # Can land
  end
end

# ** Game_Event
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class deals with events. It handles functions including event page
# switching via condition determinants, and running parallel process events.
# It's used within the Game_Map class.

class Game_Event < Game_Character
  # * Get event name
  def name
    return @event.name
  end
end

#
# END OF SCRIPT
#
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:25:47 PM by Pacman »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
No way! That was quick. Thanks a ton, I can't wait to see it work!

Hm, Tim... nah...   Pacman... done!

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Is all cool. I just hope it all works, I didn't test it all that much.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Outstanding! It does what it says on the tin!

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I AM EXCITED TO PLAY THIS!

Ahem. I'll let you know what I think.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Excellent. I am excited to get back to work on it!

Um, I got your PM, Mein Cap, but for some reason I cant reply to it. I can post the elf character sheets here, though, and all they need is pointy ears like last time. Thanks for your support of my little project!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:29:45 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hey, Cap'n of Mein, here are the character sheets. If you do as well with these as you di the last, they'll be perfect!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just implemented a save system like that of FF IV. Now I just need to make a few different tents... various small mapping tasks done, like Lankwell town and call spell animations put in. Indra is my favorite so far...

Front page has updates on what needs to be done. If you feel like helping, please do! As soon as the game is finished up to the Oakhaven portion of the story, I will release a new demo. In addition, there will be more screenshots coming up; perhaps if you can see how things are going it will generate a bit more excitement...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:26:30 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Here are some screenshots to show you what I've been up to.

Spoiler for:
Spinnakker Town, redone in brilliant royal yellow.

Spoiler for:
The Castle of Spinnakker. It was made, like most towns, with it's own TileE.
Spoiler for:
Lankwell town. The player will discover many useful clues here, as well as a color scheme that is neither too soft nor too severe, but strong yet welcoming.
Spoiler for:
The molten pools of the Dwarven outpost provide light and heat.
And a banner by Elaynii, thanks for the free (and excellent) work!

Spoiler for:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:57:50 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Pacman has earned some heavy gratitude for helping out with a tent event I had been struggling with. As you will see in V4.0, it more closely resembles the tent use and save point method in the original FF IV. Excellent work, sir!

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
;)
All in a day's work.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
And what work it was!

Welp, i just got the latest town all done up and tested, and am now going to work on some graphics and animations. I'm also going to get some optimization tools to reduce the filesizes and loop the mp3 BGMs.

I have a goal to have the next demo out by the end of February. If I know myself, it will be done earlier IF i can find the time to work as planned. I still need some solutions outlined in the beginning post for spell effects, most pressing of which is the Toad spell. I assume that if that method can be worked out that Piggy and Small would follow a similar protocol.

The golapost is the entry of the characters into Oakhaven and onto Demeter Ruins, and finally to the end of Earthfont where the second major boss is found. That, plus the newer character chips, better animations, more call spells, and improved dialogue speak to a better play experience.

It is my hope that with the optimization tools and other improvements I can make the game as true to the original work as possible. Please check the things to do list at the beginning of this thread and contribute if you can!

EDIT: New screens up in first post; working on a short video now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:17:56 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Zylos once advised that playtesting is essential. Damned if it ain't. Played through and found a lot of little errors i needed to fix. However, that process is complete and the last two areas before 4.0 are in the works! Additionally, the video I'm working on is almost ready for release... I'd give it till noon tomorrow. Stay tuned!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Welp, the video has been made, but due to time restrictions I didn't get to post it. I ran into a few problems which I didn't have time to look into just yet; the video is AVI format and I don't know if it can be wrapped in video tags. I do know that YouTube doesn't want to upload it, so an alternative needs to be found... unless I'm just doing it wrong somehow. Either way, I'll tinker with it tonight and see what I can do to bring it to you as soon as possible.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Holy shit, do I need a lot of video editing practice...
This is rediculous... I can't even get a zipped copy of anything meaningful on the forum. Looks like I'll either have to abandon the video idea or find alternatives. Suggestions welcome!

Edit: I got some suggestions from a few of the members here and am using a new software. After playing with the settings a bit, I got it to work! I'm going to try this again, may be up for viewing tomorrow night!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:24:04 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I present the shitty gameplay video! Gimme a break, it's the first thing I've ever made. See the main page for the link!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
The eventing and mapping of the new areas is coming along well. After this next chunk of story, 4.0 will be released. I am also working on an "ad" to go along with the release.

Balancing out monsters and weapon/armor/skill power is still slow and tedious. Graphics are coming along well, and several character sprites have been replaced. Summoning spell animations are becoming better, longer and more interesting!

Unfortunately, the overall filesize is still gigantic, probably due to all the high quality monster battlers I'm using and the mp3 files for music. I hope after some optimization they'll be smaller, but that will need to wait untill after 4.0.

I'd like some feedback on the new demo when it is released, look to the 20th of February for it's release.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Here are some more screenshots of what I'm doing.

Spoiler for The Title Screen, with art by Tezuka!:

Definitely considering going to a different background color with that one...

Spoiler for Summoning Ramuh:

That animation needs to be tweaked, yet.

Spoiler for B1F of Goblin Mines:

Spoiler for Demeter Ruins- the second-to-last area before 4.0 will end:

As you can see, a lot has been done, but much is still to be done. As the deadline I have imposed on myself looms near, all I can do is try to get it done and out while I have time; tweaking can wait.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:14:37 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 69
RESIDENT ADONKADONK
I like the looks of this project! Nice music!

I'm back.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thanks a bunch! A lot of effort has gone into making it as true to an old console game as possible.

Bad news, I won't meet today's deadline. It will require another day or two before I have the last bit of mapping done. Give it untill Thursday, and you'll have it.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I have run into a bit of a snag with a cutscene I'm doing; I made it rather complex, and I did it wrong. I know how to fix it, but that will take time. Not much, but at least a few days untill it's right. Please stand by...

On that note, I realized a lot of the evented cuscenes were done improperly as well. THey work, at least the first time you enter the room in which they occur. The problem is, they also work every subsequent time! NOTE TO SELF: Erase event doesn't work they way you'd think it does! Use Self Switches set to no instructions with no graphic, and check the "through" option to get rid of events you don't need anymore. It will still be there, but the game will behave as though it isn't.

Rep:
Level 82
NOTE TO SELF: Erase event doesn't work they way you'd think it does!

It's because the state of an event isn't retained after you change map. It makes new instances of each event when you load a new map. It would be possible to write a quick script that stores the 'erased' state of an event and initialises events with it's previous erased state if it had one.

Obviously self switches makes this pointless, but if you have a lot of these events that you've erased thinking they'd disappear for good, it might save a lot of time.

You also don't need to set the through option to on, if the event is 'below characters' which is default on a new page.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I truly appreciate the knowledge, and the offer (if it was an offer) but I'm already halfway through the task! Thank you anyway, it's very kind of you just to stop by.

I think after I get the next area mapped and evented, I'll toss out a buggy demo 4.0 and then playtest, fix and polish the game. I'll then release 4.1 without new content and hopefully without the bugs.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Some eventing difficulties have pushed back the release of the demo, but it's getting fixed. Had I the time, this woulda been done, but I need to finish a cutscene, map the latest dungeon and tie it all up. Piece of cake.

Some other things to look for in the 4.1 will be an updated SBS; hopefully this will fix the "Reraise" and "Reflect" spells, and there's an addon by BulletXT that allows multiple targeting options! I may actually have to ERASE skills... I also found a script that will enable random encounters in vehicles; while I have not examined this script in detail, the intention is to use it for the sailing ship. Again, those features are going to be tinkered with AFTER the release of 4.0.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:38:22 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Here is where I release Demo 4.0. I really wanted to give you one more cave, but it just wasn't working with the tilesets I have. I'm currently turning my attention to improving the graphics all around- and decreasing the filesize.

So let's talk about that filesize. It's REALLY big because this is an epic-scale game and all of the monsters are already in the DB, as well as most of the MP3 music.

Anyway, this version is REALLY buggy. I noticed that all my cutscene events were done improperly, and only a few of them have been fixed (not, it seems, the half I thought previously). However, the game IS playable, if a bit unbalanced. There are several skills still on some characters' lists that won' t be there in the final; play with them to your liking. Heck, it's unencrypted- go ape shit. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:48:11 AM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Um, sorry EvilM00s, but is it ok when 4.0 demo starts from scene near ruined castle? I mean, maybe you forget change player start location? Also, there are two save files included.
Well, it's unencrypted, so I can fix this issue myself.

Oh, Rydia lvl 30 on start... lol, I must edit more xD
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:42:10 PM by AlexArmstrong »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thanks for downloading the game!

Arrgh. Yeah, I forgot to erase the saves, but I would have sworn I put the player back on the intro map. Should you choose to do so, set party members to "dummy" only, and place start position on the map labeled "intro" somewhere in the middle. When you start, you ought to see a short scene in an un-ruined castle that leads to player control in the first dungeon- or you can wait untill after 1430 GMT -6 for me to fix and upload the file.

You will notice that the tiles used get less generic as the game progresses. Also, my event making skill improved as I went along, you will notice that as well. The weapon, armor and item power and costs are yet to be balanced out very well, as well as some skills, and keep in mind also that many skill animations will be altered in the next release.

If you would, let me know if the "feel" of the game is like that of previous FF console titles. I tried to stay true to that as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:49:07 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
I'm not mentioned it, but I played FFIV-II MoM before) I still have old version, so I'm type of "advanced user" (I was opening your game often because there was bug towers in old version - when you leave, you stuck in mountains xD).
Don't forget about characters initial items/levels/etc.

I will try to test the game and tell you about how it "feel" and found bugs.
(sorry for bad english, I'm not sure that all written grammatically correct in this post)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Very cool! I'm happy to see you have an interest in the project.

Many of the transfer errors have been fixed in the Wind Towers area, at least I think so... the playtesting hasn't really been that intense. It will be in the next version, though. The next demo will be reasdy in the next week or so and will hopefully not contain the mistakes in this one. In particular, the cutscene events will be cleaner; as it stands now, many of them will repeat if you go back to certain areas, which could stick the player into a loop.

BTW, don't worry about your English. It's good enough! What language do you speak normally?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:39:18 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
I especially like FF 4, 5, 6, so, yes, FFIV-II looks interesting for me) And some of ideas are great! My favorite character is Mornay. Because He speak only the chocobo and, also, cool engineer!
Some bugs I found:
chests
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/chestbartucbug.png/
One turns into a small box (Bintel Dungeons 2F), the other gives endless tents.
Oh, you changed crystalls to S-mark... I think, it must stay "below character".
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/sugly.png/
Also, you can't save on this, because there is parallel process Event which automatically disable save options always (left-up corner). Delete it, and all will ok.

Sadly, it's not chocobo, lol. Normally I speak Russian. I can easily read English text, and know lot of words, but when it comes to grammar... Ugh, it's my weak point.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Fantastic! I was afraid Mornay wouldn't be received well, since he's difficult to understand. I wanted him to lend an innocence to the male cast, and also be an Alchemist so I could incorporate the potion-making script and the Tools command. Getting the rarer ingredients will be side quests of their own.

Ah yes, the chest in Bintel. I have been meaning to fix that since 2.0!

The tent system was experimental at the time, so thank you for reporting that! (noted.) Before that system was in place, I needed another method to turn off saves to work with the previous save system. Good catch!

I'm going to start playtesting and fixing things in the current version tonight. Thanks again for those findings.

Russian! I can't speak the language, but I love how it sounds. Your english is actually very good, so don't worry too much.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:41:37 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
He is totally original and fresh! And I like Tools (my favorite ability in FF6 after Cyan's sword tech, Mime and Blitz).

Yeah, I see, even now tent system is not completed (well, I liked old crystalls system). There is another one "wrong save point" in Adventurers School Save Room.
By the way, I like your mapping. New Wayland looks great! But even now I can't find secret meeting room without RMVX help... Playing old version, I fully missed Rydia/Tividar/Lazarus meeting scene. Lol, I was shocked when I opened editor and find entrance behind building. I just think, it's too secret for story scene.
Some more about mapping - really need fix passability. In goblin cave I stuck after climbing the ladder (bad boards on the way) and underground level... It needs in serious fix.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/goblinsawesomness.png/
Also, player can pass though beds, tables with flowers, etc. Really many things.
- Check book in Wayland Old Sister 2F. It looks ok in editor, but in game it becomes white tablecloth.
- Party can enter Wind Tower 1 and speak with Mist without Rydia.

At your service.
Hmm, I feel the same about English words (especially, ability names - they sounds amazing!) Thanks.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hm, looks like I have some serious work to do. Thanks for finding those things; the Wind Tower issue is one that I don't thing many testers would have caught.

EDIT: Fixed the chest and the save point in Bintel Dungeon. I did not seem to have the transfer problem in the Goblin Mines, however. Oh, and the chest outside the dungeon was there for testing the tent system on the world map! It's not supposed to be there, but it IS working as intended... lol.

EDIT 2: I was trying to make furniture like beds and such act like beds... but it doesn't work very well, so I will change those passabilities. Thank you for finding those mistakes.

EDIT 3: The flowers and desks show as impassable in the editor, yet they are indeed passable. It must be the tileswap script... fixing.

EDIT 4: Fixed Wind Tower scene activation. Rydia must now be present.

Getting to work on small things to make a more professional product, as well as updating the SVBS and skills attached to it. The new SVBS conflicts with several scripts already in place, but many fixes are available, and thanks to Pacman I know how to modify some of them to work. Testing in progress.

New "to-do" list on front page.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:40:27 PM by EvilM00s »

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
I did not seem to have the transfer problem in the Goblin Mines, however.
"Goblin Mines B1" - I walked into ladder EV034 (x=9; y=13). It transports me in (9; 13) of "Goblin Mines", and there is no way back, not forward, because of the boards. (maybe, you already fix passability of this boards, and it's only my version)
Also, besides "Goblin Mines B1", where player can freely walk over black tiles, I found one in Spinnaker Castle, which the player must pass, but it does not work. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/thereisnorightblack.png/) <-Spinnaker Castle, Basement.
It seems you must do huge work with passability.
- Lankwell Curio Shoppe 2F (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/curioshoppe2f.png/) - your mapping skills good, but tilesets playing tricks with you...
- For cutscenes in wind towers you need autorun event, not player touch, because player can avoid this events.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/towersg.png/
- You can use Fire Bomb in inventory (do nothing)
- TAILS fan ignored my Snake Tail (not ready yet?)
- Dwarf Home 1 - fire need Direction Fix
- East Rear Tower, last floor (with guard). No transfer event (dead end, lol)
- In Spinnaker Central Tower chest can be opened through table.
- I use Lazarus' Exit Spell in Wind Tower 1 -> teleport into center of ocean  :lol:
- About missing files
Unable to find file Audio/BGM/1 - 05 - Opening theme (when meet Rugan and Ironguts)
Unable to find file Characters/!Secrets4 (West Rear Tower, Spinnaker)
Unable to find file Characters/mo'peeps (Central Tower 3F)
Unable to find file Graphics/Characters/$BGuard2 (and $BGuard1 too)(Spinnaker, during Bintel invasion. Normally, I fear, player can't continue game at all after that).
Unable to find file Graphics/Characters/$BDK2 (boss Dark Knight).

- Script: got this error during battle in last Wind Tower with Bartuc mage:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/hpcost.png/ (tried to use Dragoon empty skill during Renshi battle).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:18:59 PM by AlexArmstrong »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thanks again, my meticulous friend. You are really helping  to make this project bulletproof! Let's address the problems you found one by one:

Goblin Mines: Blacktile and boards passability fixed. In using BulletXT's TileSwapXT, I have forgotten to save passge settings map by map and have overlooked a lot of this kind of thing. I now have a routine that will avoid this.

Spinnakker castle Basement: Again, the tile swapper got the best of me. Fixed.

Lankwell: You will NEVER guess what happened. Fixed.

Firebombs, Dead Ends, Fire Direction, Bad Chests, Missing Audio/Video files: As the project has grown and I import better resources and delete older ones, I forget sometimes to replace them in my events. These cases show that. Good catch! Oh, and Firebomb parameters fixed, too... I dunno what I was thinking there...

Tail Collector: Correct. This feature has not been fully implemented yet.

Exit  malfunction and script error: These two problems have me very puzzled. The Exit spell works by storing coordinates as variables, so there shouldn't be any problems there; and Jander's empty skill list is just that: I used an event to remove them, so no script should be involved. I'm going to really have to look at those...

In closing, your help has been invaluable to this project, AlexArmstrong. You have saved me a LOT of time. You have my gratitude! +rep!

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Hmm, it seems I reach the end (after getting airship). I really like the way you go, so, to thank me, just continue your work!

About Exit  malfunction: I looked - in towers transfer event coordinates stored AFTER transportation. So, it leads to miss-transfer.

After siege, if you return in Spinnaker Castle, you can't exit it, because of "We cannot abandon the battle" message.
Same as before, there is no right passability in Demon Demice. Obviously tileset bug in Wendy Tomb. Moreover, if party reach the chest with Wendy mirror second time, there is no way to return back (dead end. Transfer event into secret passage must works only once!)
In Oakhaven Item Shop little girl thanked me for nothing (i don't find her mother before).
If you activate Hyrule tomb from back, the game will freeze. Gates inside "Hyrulian Tomb" map leads in nowhere (transfer player in the same point)
What with this music box? It do nothing... (I think, you need change item scope from "one ally" to "none"). Well, the door at music puzzle room leads in nowhere.
Shandril in one group with Rydia... (after cutscene in Earthfont).
No enemies in Demeter (not ready?)

Well, I hope, I found all most evil bugs... Waiting for next demo! Good luck with new skills and other stuffs)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Yes, Demeter does not have any encounters ready.

The siege in Spinnakker was done incorrectly, but is now fixed with proper event switches.

The Oakhaven areas still need a lot of attention. Oakhaven was a difficult place for me for some reason; my creativity got stuck there for some time and the shoddy work reflects that. There is a lot going on there, and I will get to fixing those errors soon!

The Tileswap program has been figured out, I now know that the errors were caused by my error.

The music box OUGHT to play the melody needed elsewhere, I tested it and found it to work. Hmmmm.... I'll have to investigate that further.

You say "Shandril in one group with Rydia... (after cutscene in Earthfont)."
If you mean after King Grigor has his solo battle, yes, she should be in the group along with all the other characters you've met so far. I'll play through that part soon and try to find the error.

Again, you prove to be a great asset to the development of the game! I shall go forward and issue regular updates to honor your efforts.
+rep

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
If you mean after King Grigor has his solo battle...
Woops, I missed this part! I thought that there is no more gameplay after getting airship...
Well, that's for good, because I now go into Demeter again and find one more bug: map 226 Demeter Ruins, you can't reach transfer event in place with two green chests, so, it's dead end.

Shandril joined Donal's party (when I first visit Oakhaven).

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Are you sure? It's rather hidden. On the other hand, I could have accidentally set it to the wrong priority. Well, I'll take care of that, along with the Dwarven area and Wendy's Tomb. Those areas were confusing me, untill I figured out where I went wrong with the tileswapper. Shandril shouldn't join Donal; she's dependant on a switch that shouldn't be tripped untill the party reaches Earthfont... something is definitely wrong, there.

As for moving forward, tonight I'm going to collect some resources that will go on the various custom tilesets I already have; just for more depth to those areas, and also for some as-yet unmapped areas.

I don't have a deadline for 4.1 just yet, it's a busy week and I have a lot of testing and fixing to do. Rest assured, however, that the project is on track and will be seeing updates as I am able to provide them.

EDIT: Aha. Now I see what you meant with the Demeter and Demon's Demise passages. Fixed, and good catch.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:18:37 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Alright, I have the extended targetting enabled, which means that there will be some changes made to the skill DB. Now targetting works just like in FF IV, so the need for exclusive multi-target spells has been eliminated! This also means that Cure spells will hurt undead, and you can target your friends with lightning if you wish.

I have also been working on some monsters for Demeter and Earthfont areas. The player will be sufficiently powerful to throw some interesting beasties at him/her, so I can have some fun with the monster capabilities.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Spoiler for I can't believe I forgot this:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Playtested through and found some minor bugs, all fixed now. Added multi-target skills to the script responsible for their functions and animation tags to bows, guns, thrown weapons and the Jump skill.

Now to test the skills and see if they all work as intended, followed by animations!

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
Blue Mage
U have date when this game is 100% complete and ready to play throught? Cant wait ^^
"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thank you! No date yet,; the time I have to work on this project is sporadic at best. However, work has been progressing well lately,and is around halfway done right now. Version 4.1 will be released as soon as the muti-target script is configured and some skills are tested, as well as the next dungeon complete. It will be big, the "boss" is one of the major enemies in the game.

Skills and equipment are getting a makeover, as well as the addition of some more cutscenes to help the story along. Right now I'm working on the finer aspects of playtesting- thanks to some help from AlexArmstrong,  playtesting isn't too hard.

I CAN tell you that the next installment should be done by the end of March middle of April.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:21:51 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Progress update: Added script to give characters "Desperation" attacks, credit to Zylos.

Added pause option and screen saver after 60 seconds of inactivity.

Looped world map BGM, battle BGM and one town BGM. What a pain in the ass that was.

Next big hurdle is animations for all the skills and desperations.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Development will be put on ludicrous speed for the upcoming (and hopefully favorable) review of the project by our own Logan! Even though he made it clear he only cares about himself... jerk. JUST KIDDING, LOGAN!

Expect to see version 4.1 within the next week and a half, and expect to see some really groovy improvements- in sound, mapping, eventing, and gameplay.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Completed a sizable portion of animations, icluding two entire skillsets and 3 desperation attacks. I'm working a lot in the next few days, so further work may be stalled untill the weekend.

Left to do before 4.1 release
Animation of the relevant skills up to the demo end (about 20 skills)
Inserting all proper triggers for Warp and Exit
Remodeling the first cutscene with an improved tileset
Equipment and skill balancing
Proper assignment of skills to characters by level
Insertion of two additional short cutscenes
Playtest through to find and fix bugs

Should be ready to go by the 14th.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hey. I have been on hiatus for a while,and said hiatus may return at any time. In the meantime, however, I'm getting back to work on this as I can when I can. Thought I'd say something.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRODUCTION

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Hey there. As I am looking for things to give me direction right now, I have begun work on finishing the additional tilesets and skill animations in the DB. This will take some time, as several are required to give both characters and monsters the "feel" of the console-style FF games. Once I tire of the graphics work, harder nuts will be cracked.

Those tough nuts include modifying the newest Tankentai SBS to allow monsters to be replaced in battle, a vital process for the Toad, Piggy and Small spells. Ordinarily, the method would be simple, but something in the main script of the SBS is preventing it from happening.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Several skill animations done; about 2/3 total animation library complete. Not a whole lot of time to work on this project lately, something gets done every day even if it's as small as balancing an item's stats or price.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Production back online for awhile, and animations are getting good! Of course, I may be going overboard, but we'll see after it's all done.

Also have more BGM looping done. That's a pain too.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
M00s, was gonna give the demo a try, but uh text is not showing.
I assume you left out a font folder? Also the game starts with no cutscene and I appear right next to an abandoned castle looking area with four full party members.
Not sure if this is suposed to happen, just to me it looks like you may have changed the player start location for debugging purposes and forgot to switch it back.
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I did. There ought to be a font folder in the DL package somwewhere... and I could have sworn I had moved the player positions back to normal. Lemme fix that.

Aha, I thought i saw this earlier. Should you choose to do so, set party members to "dummy" only, and place start position on the map labeled "intro" somewhere in the middle.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJvdQqmzBU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJvdQqmzBU</a>

If you'd like me to do more or stop altogether, let me know.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:40:39 AM by D&P3 »
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
*wipes tears of mirth from eyes* D&P3 for narrator of all time.

I never thought of Laz as Scottish, but alright. I Like what I see so far, dude. Of course, this is an older version, which is admittedly buggy as heck... and yes, the chests are needed to give the player (who would normally start off as level one) a basis to wage war with.

Yeah, save point didnt work right.... fixed in the last version. You did nothing wrong, per se, the levels were simply not reset. I intended for THAT release to be like a tech demo.

A lot of the items you find, like the Elf Water, will be used for crafting purposes, and an in game tutorial guides you through that.

Tell you what, lemme set up a less buggy version and then by all means continue. I'd like a 3rd party running critique of the development. Which I suppose means I'll have to deliver.

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
I can't play the demo since I don't have the VX RTP, would be nice if you could include a demo version that does. Watched the playthrough video posted above, though. There seemed to be a ton of chests in your dungeon, but I guess it works well as an incentive for players to walk around a bit and get into random encounters before they leave the place.
Small thing I noticed was Phoenix Down was spelled incorrectly (Pheonix in your game).
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Alright, maybe I'll tone down all the chests, and include more basic potions. I'll also include the RTP in the next release.

THanks for taking interest, and for finding the spelling erreore error.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Today's update: 3 more BGMs looped, 6 more skills input and animated. Fixed a few spelling errors. Reduced the number of chests in the Bintel Dungeons. Added dialogue soliloquy in first dungeon to explain controls and other important aspects of gameplay. Fixed entry to places the player shouldnt go. Cleaned up the first few cutscenes and made some minor script and story tweaks to make story flow more smoothly.

Deadline for skill demo: 28 Jan 2013. Might actually make this deadline.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
If you plan on fixing up the little spelling error for the Phoenix Down, I'd imagine it'd be a real pain the arse to fix up all those messages for your treasure chests.
I made a little snippet for you that will fix that. However it will only work for "Show Text" Messageboxes, you'll still need to apply a fix yourself to the actual item name in the database.

Code: [Select]
class Window_Message < Window_Selectable
  alias wm_csc_pheonix_to_phoenix_conversion       convert_special_characters
  def convert_special_characters
    wm_csc_pheonix_to_phoenix_conversion()
    @text.gsub!(/Pheonix/i) { "Phoenix" }
  end
end

Rep:
Level 82
Nice to see this coming along, M00s. I'll have to give the new demo a nosy at when I can.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
D&P3: Damn, you smart. Thank you for the code- so I just post it where my other scrips are?

Logan: Thank you very much, man. I'm really excited and hopeful that this run will give us a balanced, fun game without any game-breaking bugs.

After the skill demo I'll move on to fixing up gameplay itself and may have a play demo up to Earthfont Cavern within February- perhaps even beyond!

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
Yeah just place it in the same area your other custom scripts are :)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You are a rock star, thank you!

Many skills animated and playtested today; desparation attacks testyed for those characters who have them. Meeting the Monday Deadline for a skill demo is very likely!

I could still use some help with a few tasks; please see the updated to-do list on the first page if you want to help.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Working on a few more skills to add to the demo, as well as a game breaking error in a script used for the Asyura skill (thanks, D&P3, yu ar mi heerow).

New DL available by 30.1.2013!

EDIT: Done a day early, the same link will get you the DL. WOO! I'm really excited about this round of work!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:15:08 PM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Major breakthroughs today! Found a method for polymorph-type spells, and thanks to D&P3, have made the Asyura spell random as it should be.

Next step: Find resources to animate said skills and re-release skill demo. After that, get back to playtesting. I know, what drudgery playing a game must be.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Perhaps someone reading can help out.

I need a character sheet for this fellow:

but with a wide brimmed hat, like a red mage would have. Unfortunately I sprite very badly and cannnot complete the task myself. Any takers?

In other news, the common events for Toad, Piggy and Small are almost done. In addition, the curatives for those conditions are built into the common events! All that's left is a few conditional branches and shrinking the main character sheets to appear half their size.

I have also developed a common event which will allow the Esuna spell to cure all 3 conditions, and the Call spells are done with the exception of two last spells which I am debating including at all.

Back to GIMP, this may take awhile... can't wait, after this I do playtesting and tweaking.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:25:40 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Today's schedule has me looping BGMs and revamping the alchemy for Mornay. Under the new system he will be able to produce several items similar in function to the potion and ether, but at half the cost once the recipie is discovered and used. As a balancing factor, they will not hurt undead like actual potions can. Since the Potion recipies are one-use, they will no longer be random loot nor will reagents be so easily available. I think shops stocling them will have higher prices and fewer monsters will drop them.

Work on animation is going very well, with all the classic call spells finished! I will not be posting an update to the skill demo untill later; my primary goal right now is playtesting and fine-tuning the database, as wel as getiing all the characters from the first half of the game ready to be played in the next demo- this means a lot of graphics work and animations (you'll see why when the demo is released!) After that I'll return to advancing the storyline.

In the meantime, don't forget to look at the to-do list if you feel froggy enough to lend a hand!

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
The link to the demo doesn't work.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thank you for pointing that out. This should work, and fixed on the front page as well.

It's plain and unpolished, but it will give you a sense of what the characters will be able to do. MUCH more to come! I just finished 2 more desparation attacks and overhauled the Alchemy system, and unfortunately you won't yet have access to the newer call spells. However, the file is unencrypted and you can mess about with it as you please.

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
OK, didn't know it was only supposed to be a skill demo, hadn't read the demo info before I downloaded and played it. Not much to say about it...=p

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Alright, Earthfont cave is complete, and this brings the game to its midpoint. Progress is slowing because despite my careful planning, I have hit a roadblock in the writing; with all the characters available in the party, the cutscenes are a mess of conditional branches with dialogue that has to not only come from 9 different characters, but all has to make sense when put side by side with the NPC of the moment. It's tough, but I can do it.

Additionally, the Alchemy that Mornat can perform has been updated to produce items that are cheaper and work differently than what's avaulable in the stores. It's as I had envisioned it now.

More Call spell animations are done, as well as several Desperation Attack animations. I'm unsure of when another release will be out, but when it does, I will have all the desperations done and the dialogue refined.

I also took some advice and toned down the number and contents of each treasure chest, as well as making monster encounters a little less difficult, and I'm continuing to smooth out weapon/armor/skill powers. It's beginning to look like this project will be finished before I die.

Rep: +0/-0Level 57
RMRK Junior
Sorry For NecroPosting .
It Looks Awesome ...
You made this for how many months eh ?
---------------------------------------

What if Everything is just a Myth? How come baby!!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Quite a few! And as you can see, it is even noe taking the back burner. Real life sucks, man, but there will be a time when this game is finished. Probably not soon, but that time will come.

To answer your question, altogether I've put in about a year of work over tha past 4 years. It was my learning game, and I wish I would have listened to the forum when they said something this size for your first game is stupid.

Rep:
Level 82
Quite a few! And as you can see, it is even noe taking the back burner. Real life sucks, man, but there will be a time when this game is finished. Probably not soon, but that time will come.

To answer your question, altogether I've put in about a year of work over tha past 4 years. It was my learning game, and I wish I would have listened to the forum when they said something this size for your first game is stupid.

As long as you are enjoying the process, that's what really matters.

One of the main reasons, I'd think, for suggesting to do something smaller first, is that people tend to get bored and they'll either never finish (and move on to something else - something I know I'm quite guilty of myself) or they will rush it and it'll be a terrible. But if you are happy taking your time, and there's really no rush to get it done, just enjoy it as you go.

Once you do finish, though, you know you'll have something you are proud of and that's really all that matters.