RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Rain Freezes?

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Amon Amarth. Great Metal Band. Listen to Them. Now
I try to set my weather effects to make it rain. But all it does is freeze. What can I do to make it rain?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
All you need to do is turn it on with the Event Command to change the weather. Set how long it takes to fade on and that's it. You do not need to repeat that event. If you're repeating the event, it can freeze. You set it and leave it the hell alone until you want to turn it off. Either that or you have it in some sort of parallel process or autorun event which will repeat the weather as long as the event runs. So don't do that either. If you want it to happen during a parallel process or something, you MUST give it its own event page and at the end of that page turn on a switch that starts a new page in that event. Do what ever you want, but don't repeat the event.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Imagine yourself trying to type a full sentence and starting over every millisecond. You probably wouldn't even have enough time to get in one letter of the sentence. I'm thinking that's pretty much what's happening here, because your event is repeating and retelling it to start raining again before it even begins.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:02:12 PM by Zylos »

This is what I'm doing:
Make New Event called Weather, Then i set the weather to rain.

Should I make "Rain" a common event? I assume that should work..

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
No, a common event is unnecessary. Just make sure the event that turns on the weather doesn;t run more than once. So, if it's autostart, turn on a self-switch and turn the page. If it's not autostart, then there might be a problem with the scripts. But I suspect it's parallel process or autostart not being turned off.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:53:26 PM by modern algebra »

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Yes, it's because of AutoStart or Parallel Process. Like modern algebra said, you should make a switch turn on and make  a new page under the conditions that the switch you just turned on is on.
Hi

I got it to work by setting up a parallel process. Then Make the event call on a common event, Which had the weather effects and the SE's on. No switch. Now i just got to make it so its only on THAT map...

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
That's ... silly.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I'm pretty sure using a switch would be easier.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
That's not silly, that's just retarded. If you're going to use it on one map, then use a normal event. Common events are global events, Asphyx, which means you can call it anywhere. That's just a waste. Irock is right, one switch will do you good and that's it. You're making this more complicated for yourself and you don't learn anything from doing it this way.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, doing it in a common event is not necessarily a bad idea if he is putting a lot of stuff in there, such as start rain, play SE, etc... because then he could use it in any map he wanted to have the weather effect.

But I don't think he's doing it for the right reasons; it sounds like he's doing it because he doesn't know how to use switches and doesn't want to learn (maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it sounds like), which means he doesn't realize how bad his game will be if he doesn't learn how to use switches and variables.

Further, it sounds like he's calling this weather event every frame even though he only needs to call it once, which could end up generating lag when combined with other parallel processes (something likely to happen if he continues making events in this fashion)

And the fact is, he's going out of his way to avoid switches when he doesn't even need to use switches. He could just use the Erase Event command seeing as this is RMXP.

Ok. Fact: I'm new at RPG Maker, And I don't know how to use switches. I AM willing to learn. Anyone willing to teach?
To be honest, I don't even remember how to make switches. I made one earlier for a bank. I can't remember how to create another though...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:33:41 AM by Asphyx »

Rep:
Level 97
There's not much to making them. A switch is either ON or OFF, like a light switch. And you control when to turn them on or off (with the event command Control Switch).

You can then condition events on switches. For instance, when you make a new page, there are two checkboxes for switches. If you enable them and select a switch, it means it won't run that event page until those switches are on. As a rule, an event will only run one page at a time and it checks from the last one to the first. In the screenshot, it would run that event page only if switches 1 & 2 are ON. If either one isn't, it would run Page 1 instead. If Page 1 had conditions that weren't met, it wouldn't run any page.

Another way you can use switches is through the event command Conditional Branch. In the screenshot, if Switch 3 is on, then it would run the stuff right under it. If Switch 3 weren't on, it would run the stuff in the else branch.

There are a lot more detailed tutorials for events though. Just check out the databases. Constance has a great tutorial for new users generally too.

(For what you wanted to do, you'd make two event pages. The first page would be autostart and it would have the Set Weather Effects command, then it would have:

Control Self-Switch: A ON

On the second page, you would checkbox self-switch A is ON in the Conditions box. That's it.

I thought there was a page to create a switch. Like the variables. But in the event, when you set a variable, it just shows the list. So i assumed there was more too it then just that. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Rep:
Level 97
Well, if you click on the highlighted arrow in the screen shot, it will bring up a page where you can select the switches. You can name the switches in that screen.

Self-switches, however, aren't named. There are four (A, B, C, D) for each event and they only apply to that event. So turning on self-switch A in Event 1 doesn't mean that Self-switch A is on in any other event.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:19:46 AM by modern algebra »