RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Resolved]Overclocking.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
So I have a pretty nice CPU: Athlon 64x2 7750 BE clocked at 2.7GHz. But I was wondering how it'd work with overclocking, so having never done this I googled my cpu and overclocking and found some helpful stuff but none of it really helps me.

The first one I found gave me information on overclocking it but used AMD OverDrive which now I know only supports certain motherboards from AMD. Cool. So I search again and find more articles but they all seem to be confusing or for someone who has done this before (or maybe that's why they're confusing).
I don't know any of these overclocking communities but Extreme Overclocking (good bad?) said you can overclock my CPU to 3.3GHz with the original cooling duct. So I want to try at the very most 3.2GHz. Instead of using software I think I'll just do it in the BIOs but is there more to it than clocking it little by little until I get a good speed? Are there any other specs to mess around with or is there another real good program I can use to overclock with/tutorials for the first timers? My motherboard is an Asus M3N78-VM.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:03:49 AM by ahref »

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
You said Athlon 64x2 7750 BE, the important thing there being the "BE", which means black edition.

CPUs derive their clock speed from an initial bus speed and a multipler, so an E5200 for example has a multipler of 12.5 and runs off a 200Mhz initial bus speed, making it run at 2.5Ghz.

Normally this multipler is locked, so that to overclock you have to edit the bus speed. This has a side effect of straining almost every other component in your system, since it all derives from it. More expensive motherboards can keep a constant PCI-E clock or allow you to set different memory clock ratios to allow you to overclock better.

The good thing for you is that an AMD Black Edition chip has an unlocked multiplier. You can just go into your BIOS and just increase the multipler, it's that simple.

Bump it up a notch and each time, boot back into windows, run CPU-Z and Speedfan and watch your temperatures. Run benchmarks and stuff to make it work hard. If you get problems, or pass 55-60C, lower the multi until you get stability and an acceptable temperature =o
bringing sexy back

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
You said Athlon 64x2 7750 BE, the important thing there being the "BE", which means black edition.

CPUs derive their clock speed from an initial bus speed and a multipler, so an E5200 for example has a multipler of 12.5 and runs off a 200Mhz initial bus speed, making it run at 2.5Ghz.

Normally this multipler is locked, so that to overclock you have to edit the bus speed. This has a side effect of straining almost every other component in your system, since it all derives from it. More expensive motherboards can keep a constant PCI-E clock or allow you to set different memory clock ratios to allow you to overclock better.

The good thing for you is that an AMD Black Edition chip has an unlocked multiplier. You can just go into your BIOS and just increase the multipler, it's that simple.

Bump it up a notch and each time, boot back into windows, run CPU-Z and Speedfan and watch your temperatures. Run benchmarks and stuff to make it work hard. If you get problems, or pass 55-60C, lower the multi until you get stability and an acceptable temperature =o

Thank you Roph, that pretty much answers every question I have!
My computer shuts off the CPU gets above *I forget what temperature*C so I'll definitely know if it's getting too hot, probably a bad way of know but hey it's better than a crash. xD
Hopefully my case has good enough venting.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I have a BE but it just plays movies ;o
maybe Ill tweak it for fun.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun