RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Need help with an event.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
I'm making a game, and there is a part where an NPC comes up to you, talks to you, and then walks away.
I'm having a problem with it.

I set the move route for the NPC, so it walks up to my character and talks to it just fine. But the problem is, when I press the enter key to clear the message, the event restarts itself with the same walking path instead of the new one after it.

Basically what I'm doing is:

Set move route: This event
Wait for move's completion
Show text
Set move route: This event (which is a different movement path)

But the event won't go to the second move route, and instead restarts the ENTIRE event over.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix this?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Set it up like this::

Set move route: This event (wait)
Show text
Switch:(pick a number) ON

Then make a new event page in this event.

It's condition to be active should be:
then as event commands, just make your move route there.

Also, just make sure you have the same graphic as the new event page too otherwise the NPC would disappear. This should fix it no problem.

Hmm... I did that, and set the second event page to run on Self Switch A. (I tried a regular switch, but self switch seems to have the same effect)

As soon as I press enter to clear the text box off the screen, another, blank, text box pops up and it won't go off the screen. I can't control the game from there. I set the 2nd page to autostart, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

I want the second page to start running as soon as the text box clears, but I'm not sure what to do.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Self switches in XP reset themselves, so when you leave the map and come back your event will be back to your first event page. Normal switches stay on until you turn them off.

This is almost hopeless lol. You really need to learn events 101. Never use Autostart unless it's a cutscene. It deliberately freezes the game to allow only that event to play. Always use parallel process. As I said.
Set it up like this::

Set move route: This event (wait)
Show text

Then make a new event page in this event.

It's condition to be active should be:
then as event commands, just make your move route there.

Also, just make sure you have the same graphic as the new event page too otherwise the NPC would disappear. This should fix it no problem.

There's no reason to be getting another blank text box if you did as I say. Erase the event if it continues and remake it incase you changed something you weren't supposed to. If you're still getting errors, then you haven't told me everything because what you're trying to do is the most basic of events.

Thanks, I got it to start moving now after I clear the box. (The first page is a cutscene until the text box is gone, but I want the game to continue going like normal as soon as it's off) Changing the second page to a parallel process fixed the problem, but now the event doesn't seem to want to obey its move route. It's supposed to walk down a certain amount of spaces then go to the left, but it keeps walking down and runs into a wall. I even changed it back to a normal switch, but nothing happened.

I didn't change anything else.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
if the move route is off then double check to make sure commanded it the correct number of spaces?

I did. I even deleted the number of movements down to one space doen when a turn and ne space left, but it still continues walking down and into the wall.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Recreate the event in a new project. See if it still does it. Let me know.

Edit::
Actually come to think of it, I bet you still have the second page of the event set as parallel process too. Well shit son, you have to turn that off. duh. So you'll need 3 pages instead :)

Do your stuff on page one and at the end turn on a SELF SWITCH instead of a normal switch there, then on the second event page after you do your move route, turn ON a normal switch to activate a 3rd event page. That page should just erase the NPC if you don't want it anymore, or if you just want the NPC to be normal, then just make the event Player Touch or Player Action and what not.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:44:42 AM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Self switches in XP reset themselves
I believe you are wrong on that point, because none of my Self Switches is resetting themself after leaving the map.
At least not in my game...

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Well I've heard from billions of other people that it does. It never has for me either. I've heard it does in VX too, but I know it doesn't in VX. I'm just stating popular opinion there. I probably should have mentioned it. Also, I was just trying to keep it safe for him incase for some random reason it does reset.

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Well that's true

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
This is probly dumb, but does
"Wait for Move's Completion"
Mean the same as Proceed with movement? Sorry if this is a dumb question, Its that I have a hard time with this site and others because i end up haveing to translate alot of things. I have XP, but some times things are still different from other peoples, case in point...
"Wait for Move's Completion"
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
"Wait for Move's Completion" means that the selected route needs to be completed before starting next step.
Example if the event says following:
Code: [Select]
@>Set Move Route: Player
:               : $>Move Down
:               : $>Move Down
@>Wait for Move's Completion
@>Text: Hello!
@>

These lines is saying to the game:
Move the Player Down Two steps, and then execute the text message: Hello!

If the player is able to go down one step, but not the other, then the message won't appear and the events goes into a kind of lock, where you won't be able to do anything before the subject blocking the way is removed.

If "Wait for Move's Completion" dosen't exist the player will start to move at the same time as the textbox appears.
If "Wait for Move's Completion" do exist the player will move and not until the whole route is completed the textbox appears.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:16:18 PM by stripe103 »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
is there an echo in here?

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I had this sort of trouble in rm2k(which is almost the same thing).

Yeah, I think you should set the number of spaces the NPC needs to walk away from the area, until he hits the edge of the map. Then wait for move's completion. Then turn a switch on, and then make a third page that will make the NPC dissappear.

I don't know if that helps.
Hi