RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
2012 + 2038

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Did any of you actually see the Mayan calendar? It's not a thing that just comes to an end arbitrarily.
How is Dec 21, 2012 NOT an arbitrary date? What is that, a Tuesday? Spoooooky.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It's arbitrary to you, because you know nothing of other ways of dating and timing things than what you were raised with, and what our society teaches. Time is an invention of man, and just because one group of people decides that December 21, or any other date is arbitrary, doesn't make it so for other people. Think of July 4th, and how it doesn't mean anything to Australians. What I'm trying to say is that words and numbers are just ideas. Do you understand what I mean?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'm not really for or against the growing debate, but I just think about our calendar and how it's not arbitrary. Maybe arbitrary in when it starts and begins (since time is arbitrary), but not in how long it is considering our calendar is based on a year which is the length of time it takes earth to revolve around the sun 1 time. I would like to think of the Mayan calendar in this way where in its creation they weren't thinking about what day it would end, but rather how long would it be before a new one begins. (Mind you, I don't really know much of anything substantial about Mayans, so I don't know what a "new one" is referring to other than some event that you could relate to as the event we call, a year.) If it happens to fall on 12/12/2012, then that could be arbitrary in the respect that perhaps if they planned this calendar a single day before they did it would then instead end on 12/11/2012, and so on. My point is, whenever the calendar ends, it marks the end of something and the beginning of something else. I think it's along the lines of what Jonesy was talking about, this ends and new one just plops along, so to speak (even if they didn't get around to making a new calendar for it).

Also, I don't believe it's the end of the world. I never have for any of these doomsayer occasions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:53:33 AM by grafikal009 »

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
What Arlen said DOES make a whole ton of sense. Someone has to make a website posting that to calm the believers down.
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
~time is arbitrary, there is no denying that. So yeah, what Arlen says is true. It doesn't really matter what day it falls on and who made it up, but either way the calendar is marked for a certain span of time that is set. So like I said, if the Mayans (I'll reference Holk here) received the basic structure of the calendar from the Olmec perhaps a few years earlier or finished it's design a few days later than it did, the ending date would be different but the time span the calendar reads would still be the same. In either event, the supposed COMING OF DOOOOOOM is spent when the calendar is finished albiet a tuesday or wednesday or in 2012 or 2222.

Rep:
Level 96
It's arbitrary to you, because you know nothing of other ways of dating and timing things than what you were raised with, and what our society teaches. Time is an invention of man, and just because one group of people decides that December 21, or any other date is arbitrary, doesn't make it so for other people. Think of July 4th, and how it doesn't mean anything to Australians. What I'm trying to say is that words and numbers are just ideas. Do you understand what I mean?
Hehe, yeah, I do understand what you're saying. Honestly, I thought you were just playing devil's advocate, because you don't strike me as the type to buy into this kind of thing, so that last post was just me trying to be funny.

Rep:
Level 96
My Mac's date and time setting only goes up to the year 2037. I guess that's when the Apple company will die out.
Spoiler for:
Just being a jackass. :V

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Y3k, the end of Apple.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I don't really buy into it, but the truth is that the only way to know is to live through it and see for ourselves. The part of your posts that I was refuting was about the relevancy of dates and times, more than it was about the end of the world. I'm really big into ancient cultures and myths, so this type of thing piques my interest. Being interested in it doesn't mean that I believe in it, though. The Mayan cultures were eerily precise in their astronomical predictions and charting, which is pretty cool to me. That's what their calendar was based around, and like the sundial, it is a circle. This in itself is pretty coincidental, because circles and cycles have always been related parallel to life and the world. I just really like to look at all of these pieces and try to see the big picture they're trying to make. If it wasn't for Spaniards destroying all sorts of ancient texts in their bout to spread Christianity, we would probably know a lot more about these types of things.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Mayans extinct by 2012?
Arlen is hot.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
here I was expecting a discussion about the up and coming movie.\

It looks sub-par, in case you were wondering.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
here I was expecting a discussion about the up and coming movie.\

It looks sub-par, in case you were wondering.
Well, the movie looks great...
Hi

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
looks like a generic end of the world film to me.
*shrugs*

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
We're all going to die

Spoiler for:
except Nightwolf  ;8

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
He'll grow an extra arm

upon the death

of everything else

:tpg:

Spoiler for:
Chuck Norris too, silly : O

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
OF COURSE CHUCK NORRIS MUST SURVIVE BECAUSE HE IS THE ALMIGHTY CHUCK!
Hi

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
I didn't forget him =o  Chuck Norris is Immortal.. and so is exempt. 

He's also omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent

Be afraid, be very afraid

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
*is afraid*

Wow, this topic got bigger than my game topic in 3 days.
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
except for Chuck Norris has been defeated at 5 times in real life and once as far as I know in a movie. Own'd by Bruce Lee.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
WHO CARES CHUCK IS STILL THE ULTIMATE CHUCK
Hi

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
Dec. 21 2012 is my 22nd birthday.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
O_O

Coincidence? Wow.

I gotta remember to post a happy birthday or something on Dec. 21
Hi

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
O_O

Coincidence? Wow.

I gotta remember to post a happy birthday or something on Dec. 21

you won't be able to in 2012 cuz the world will end.

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
Penn & Teller did an episode of Bullshit! on this. It's really entertaining, actually, you guys should check it out (what can be better than a magician openly demeaning crazy people, anyway?).

Spoiler for:
For anyone that's seen it, I lol'd at the couple of 'researchers' counting the steps of the Mayan Temples. Enough said.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Lol, I very nearly saw that: my brother was watching it

and then I had to leave :(

sigh.