RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Invalid Color Depth & Unsupported PNG Image & A Lil More

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Hello, I'm sorta new to RPG game maker 2003, I've been using it for a while (almost six months), but now I've finished my characters and want to upload (import) them into the RPG charsets.

I've read these threads, but have found no help from them...just because my paint programs don't have 8bit, 265 color bit and they say you need it. Anyway, here are the links to the ones I've read....

I followed each step, and I'm sure it was suppose to work, but I'm using GIMP (I have image converters: Pixillion, Photo Scape, Paint, I could use Photoshop...) and none of these programs had any save type "8bit", or "265 color bit" I have a 256 color bit, but that's all and it still doesn't help...

Here is an image of the char set I'm trying to put on and the world map sets.
My character: I also have it with a transparent background....
PLEASE CLICK ME!
Spoiler for:
And a basic image of one of the map/town/world sets that won't work (all the ones I've downloaded don't work, even though they are PNG files.) It's a mega, mega big file, so please, keep that in mind before you press the "Spoiler" button :}
Spoiler for:

The save types GIMP offers are these: X BitMap - xm, icon, bitmap; X Pixmap - xpm; X Window - xwd
Paxillion Types: bmp, gif, jpg,jp2, pcx, pdf, pgf, png, ppn, psd, ras, rga, tif, wbmp.
Paint Types:  Monochrome BitMap, 16 Color Bitmap, 256 Color BitMap, 24-bit Bitmap - Bmp, dib.
Photoscape Types: Has to be a RAW image, and I checked the types and none of them are PNGs.

Now, when I do convert to PNG file and click the IMPORT button and pick my image, it says either this:
Spoiler for:
Or this:
Spoiler for:

And a few more things...I can't seem to make boxes give items without non stop giving it to them. Say the hero talked to the box and obtained a potion, and than talked to the box again, again and kept getting potions. I've tried "End Event Processing" but that doesn't stop it....
And finally, is there a way to make a movie (I know how) play on the title screen? I've made a movie, but I don't know how to do it, if it's possible.

Does anyone know how to make it work on GIMP, Paint and if I have to, Photoshop? I'd really appreciate your help everyone...thanks.
And I hope this made sense to everyone...if not, tell me and I'll explain better.
Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Alright, here's your problem:

The images you just presented: you won't be able to use them unless you do some editing. Massive amounts of editing. The tilesets you supplied are for another version of RPG maker - XP, which has different image size and colour depth requirements - and i'm not sure where you got the first picture, but it will not work with 2k3.

Alright, attached i have some correctly sized chipsets(tilesets) and battlecharsets. If you find resources that are not this size or share the same sort of grid, then they won't work with 2k3. Sorry.

Also, should you find some correctly sized resources that don't have the right colour depth: Find a program such as Ifranview or Paint.Net that can change it to 8bit or 256 colors. Gimp isn't very good for that >.>;;

So, good luck with your game!

EDIT: OH YEAH ONE MORE THING - transparent backgrounds will not work as far as i know, stay away from that too ^^;;

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

So the character set won't work? I got it off of a RPG game maker 2003 site and just changed the color to black.
So that chipset won't work either? I really needed some World and Village sets, because the ones I have now, are too small and don't match what the other graphics look like...is there a way to make the chipset suitable for rpgm2003?

Alright, I'll get those programs and test em and thanks for the transparent thing, I didn't know that lol
Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
There is, but you'd need to do several unpleasant things, like resize, rearrange, and after all that change the color depth.

It would probably be better to go find other resources rather than convert those. If the tilesets i supplied work alright, there's more of them over at http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/

and again, me being so helpful, i've attached a world map set that matches all of those fsm things.

Yes, i am a prophet of FSM. Silly me.

I hope they work for you ^^;;

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
In Paint.net, how do you change it so it's 256 colors? Because I've tried 8bit, and it changed the size and wouldn't be imported.
Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Hm? That's strange. Do you mean the file size shrank or the actual picture shrank?

Are you sure it was the right size in the first place? What were you trying to import? >.>

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
It says "Invalid image size" after I make it the right color...at least I think I made it the right color.
I'm trying to import a lot of things, actually, mostly towns and stuff. Most of the goods I got off that site (the one you showed me, although I was there before, just in japanese :}) and they don't work. Only the smaller and well, uglier ones work....

So I guess it means File size, because the actual image stays the same.
Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Did you download the .exe files, or just download the gif preview?

And I'm not sure what you mean when you say the uglier ones. Could you show me an example? >.>

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
I meant sets that didn't look like good Snes/Nes graphics, but more like the first Zeldas...
And they were .exe files, but the good ones never worked.

These are the sets I really need to work.
Spoiler for:

The below image is the one I need the most...

I also need mountains

Isn't there a converter out there? That will do it for you? Or a better tut explaining how to do it with Paint.net and Vista?

Should I post screenshots of save types my Paint.net has? Or what it says?
Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
OH! I see the problem you're having.

The actual, official, will 100% definetly totally work tilesets from FSM - those are in the DOWNLOADS section, which can be found by pressing the large DOWNLOADS button at the top. What you've been getting chipsets and such from are the forums, where members post little snippets of FSM-style material. They don't always work - which is the problem you're having.

As for the three you posted: The first two look as if they just need to be resized, the proper size is 480x256. The last one does not, unfortunately, meet the formatting requirement and will not work.

So, as I said before, go here: http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/modules/refmap/ - there's also a little button in the corner that says "English". It'll translate everything, except for forum posts.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
That would explain it, because all most all the ones I've got off of the downloads page worked. I did get some off the forums, but I didn't think it wouldn't work.

Oh, and thank you so much, resizing the first two worked! Thank you! How can I get the mountains and forest to work?

So out of the newest images I just posted, I can't use the world map set? The ones with the little mountains, forests, towns and castles?
And the mountains are smaller, but if I set them to the standard size for RPGMK2003, they stretch weird.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:47:42 AM by EdgarxTerra »
Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Yes, I don't think it's possible, unless you rearanged, resized, and added a whole pile of stuff, Which would be work >.>

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!

Okay...is there a tutorial showing how to do it all though? Because I've tried rearranging and resizing and when I uploaded it, it would be all black or give a tint to stuff.
But, it did let me upload it :}

Winter is Coming

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Not that I know of, you're better off looking for something else, or putting a request in 2k3 resources, until you're more experienced with 2k3 graphics.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Alright than, thanks for your help anyway :}
Winter is Coming