RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game Title/Story Thought

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Judge Magister
Ok so my game title is "Symphony of the Eternal Crystals" but i read the "title what not to do" thread and although i REALLY like the title i want other opinion of it.

My game idea is:
Main character is playing with best friend (changes based on character's gender, either Maxx-if player is female or Maria-if player is male) in the woods one day and a monster attacks the best friend. Main char then fights monster (doesnt matter if player wins or loses, winning just nets bonus items/gold) and then brings best friend back to town where they later die. Crippled with sorrow and guilt the main char delves in lore and legend and learns of the 4 crystals. The crystals represent the 4 known magics in the world (Water/Fire/Earth/Thunder) and when united grant one wish. SO main char sets off to find the 4 crystals and along the way you can recruit different people to join your party and you finally discover all of them and it gives you a choice of what you want to wish for (i.e To revive your friend or other options learned from the starting point up until then.

You get your wish granted but right after you are confronted by the one of the two warring factions (well not really warring but think Yevon Vs the Al bhed kind of warring) The Holy Order and they tell you of the real 4 magics of the world (Blood, Balance, Light and Dark) and that the other 4 were created to keep the true 4 safe from evil (or something) They show you that they have 2 on the real crystals in their possession and wish for you to help them in their 1000 year quest to secure the other 2. Main char accepts and heads towards a shrine where they meet up with a Neotechite who helps them thru the dangers of the shrine and to the chamber where the crystal should be only to have the Neotechite question their movites. They travel back to the Neotechite base and are given the true story of the war doing on between the two factions and you find out that both factions have 2 crystals.

The player can then decide which faction the side with or to not side with anyone. I havent worked out what the 4 real crystals do when united but any help would be appreciated. Also for the first half of the game the only magics you will know of will basically be elemental spells since thats what the world knows of. Holy Order believe that technology will bring the fall of humanity while Neotechites (Neo= New and tech= technology) believe religion is obsolete. Also for my battle system i had a unique idea where for your overdrive you would fuse with another party member into a new powerful being which would be a combination of your classes. Since there are 4 party members you can fuse the first 2 into 1 which would make 3 party members and then the other 2 which would make 2 party members and if you can build your overdrive "Soul Refracion" (yea...the name is in the works too lol) then you can fuse those two into THE ULTIMATE BEING....well beings since it depends lol

Ideas?

Also while writing this i think i may rehash this to have something to do with a rival team also collecting the crystals and finally you confront them anf the main party leader of that team is a shadow form of you. kinda like Link/ Dark Link except it will be you from another time period or alternate universe.

I want to have around 60 option characters that you can recruit either by quests or have done some sort of accomplishment. Probably 10 or 15 of them out have rare/special classes or skills that cannot be obtained normally. 

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
ok umm...the story is kinda meh, and I can't say I like the title at all, even after reading the story.

it's kinda just generic and not interesting at all.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
I don't fine the story interesting. It seems very weak. Nothing in your story stands out.  I suggest to rethink the story and make some changes.

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Judge Magister
Well I tried to make a storyline where the main character isnt "fighting for a greater good" so to speak as with almost every other RPG. Although I do admit having the main character looking for crystals to save their best friend is sort of cliche and weak, I feel its enough of a change and jump start to get this story going.

With how the story begins it also provides and opportunity for the story to bend with having or not having a central villian. Personally I prefer there not to be one which is why I'm having so much trouble creating an ending....or it could be that I'm trying to create a "Tales of" esqe game where you think the game is over only to be smacked in the face with yet another problem.

Any welcome idea changes would be much appreciated, please give suggestions on how I can improve too :D

Rep:
Level 84
Why not "Soul Refraction"? I know its still a little cliches (sounds like Soul Calibre) but I think it sounds ok.

The four crystals? I still don't get why ANY game has crystals in it. Just send the player to a wise or powerful sage who has "learned many secrets" or who "is the wisest person we know. If there is an answer, maybe he knows." (Its ok to be enigmatic, espicially at the start of the game.) Then spend the rest of the game trying to find the sage (who can either move around, die, be kidnapped, or simply send you to find his master or the head of his order who might be able to help you, or require ingredients or magical artifacts.)

What I really love about your idea, though, is how the player finds out that the "earth wind fire" idea may not be true and is given a rival idea to choose from. I usually hate the idea of elements but this one is interesting...

Rep:
Level 83
wow...just so interesting... :(