RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What kind of hobbies or activites do you do and why?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Of course, the title is a little explanatory but I'll expand.
I know that one of my reasons for my drift away from RMRK was an eventual weakening of interest in RPG making as other hobbies grew in sophistication and potential fun. Of course, this forum isn't all about RPG making, as we have a very strong community here as well. With that in mind, I'd like to ask what you all do with your other free time. It can be outside, inside. It can be on the computer or underwater, though perhaps both or neither.

Second, why do you do it or why does it catch your interest?

Not to be self-serving, but to start of the thread I guess I'll go first.

Warhammer/40,000: A table top miniature wargame and hobby. Modeling and painting the miniatures, as well as designing background "fluff" for your army and its characters make up half of the hobby. The other half is, of course, battling in lengthy games against friends. This originally grabbed me due to a fondness for painting and little green army men, though it's also good for socialization and a great alternative to video games with friends.

Various video and computer games: PC, PS2 and DS. haven't played as many lately but the general entertainment value is what makes games what they are. The sophistication of an RPG storyline and the thought involved with strategy games also adds to their appeal.

Airsofting: I turn away from the intellectually themed, though still fun. Boils down to shooting at friends with pellets while pretending to be in a paramilitary or military unit. Fun stuff, not all that painful in the end.

Drawing/Painting: Not so much on the latter lately, but drawing is what really started off the rest of my hobbies. The joy of creating with the appeal of something cool or meaningful is definitely the pull.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Warhammer 40k every now and then. DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR ect ect.

I haven't been airsofting since our unit disbanded. :< We were beaten in a tournament in Austin, third place for Foxwood Rifleman Division I!

Drawing is my whole life.

Playing Bass guitar.

That's about it.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Writing music - Because it's fun, and I don't think I could live without it.
Gaming - Because I like to be in different worlds sometimes.
Reading - Same as above, but I also appreciate a well put together sentence.
Writing - Getting thoughts down on paper is a great release.
Walking - I like seeing the world.
Talking with friends - Humans are social beings.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Most Mature MemberBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member

What he said minus writing music =o 

Edit: I knew there was a reason I liked you ;P

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Video games, for the same reason as Holk and LadyJ.
Writing, because I love creating and telling stories.
Game designing, for the same reason as above.
Drawing, something I've recently picked up because I love creating things.
Martial arts, because despite how nerdy I am, I'm still an active person.

Probably forgetting a lot, but this is what comes to mind.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Web design - my art. Love learning new things everyday and really you can do anything.
Web development - just starting out using php and mysql but its a whole lot of fun!
Sports - obvious, they're fun.
Gym - Good use of my time, getting bigger ;p
Guitar - Not any where near good, but its a blast trying.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Guitar - I <3 this thing. There's a butt-load of things that I've tried and haven't tried and it's an adventure just finding new things and having pride in myself.
Games - Games are good. You use up time that you don't want. You feel good about other people feeling bad that they lost or that you're just plain better than them through hours of grinding. It's just good. XD
Dancing - I haven't danced in a while, and I was never really good with style so I was able to express myself completely through it. But it was fun doing it with my friends (as a Korean, it's obviously breakdancing).

pokeball NPCOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 84
Asking you to rescue princesses since '05

What he said minus writing music =o 

Edit: I knew there was a reason I liked you ;P
What she said plus writing music =o
Why do 1 lined nameless NPCs never get taken seriously?

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
It's great to see all the creativity here :)
I left out dancing, because I forgot, but Moo reminded me. It's similar for me though, in that it's fun but I haven't truly done it in a while.
What's also interesting are the different reasons we like doing the same or similar things, like gaming. Some like being taken to other worlds, while others enjoy competitive aspects. I guess that depends on the genre and type of game though...

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Scripting is a big one these days, because I guess I love seeing how the work I do translates into features in other people's games.
Gaming, of course. I love games - RPGs and Fantasy games mostly, for the same reasons as other people have posted.
Reading - still one of my favourite things to do
Writing - I'm a bad writer, but I still enjoy doing it occasionally.
Watching TV - I'm addicted to like eight shows
Musicals - just recently I've started really liking musicals. I don't know what it is about them; maybe it's the fact that it's basically just a music album with a story. I still despise West Side Story, naturally.
Walking - I love walking; it's so peaceful. I usually walk anywhere between 3-8 km a day when I have the opportunity.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I abandoned my other hobbies for WoW.

Okay, serious response now.

Writing/playing music - my life, my potential career, my passion. i dont think i've ever loved anything or anyone as much as i love music.

Video games - takes me away from earth. Can be a good or a bad thing, lol

Reading - not so much nowadays, but back in the day it was hard to spot me without my nose pressed between a paperback.

Hackeysack - the only "sport" i'm actually good at. i just love its portability more than anything, really

Papercraft - i used to LOVE origami as a kid, this is a step up for me. i love recreating my favorite video game characters and other tchotchkes =p

There are several other hobbies i enjoy doing on occasion, like Photoshop, home architecture, drawing, photography, D&D, programming, and the like, but i don't do them enough to really go into detail about them. Point is, i keep myself busy =p