RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Gamer

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
this movie is either going to be amazing, or it's going to be garbage.
no middle ground.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/videonews.php?id=55456

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Michael C. Hall is the only saving grace for this movie. I'm tired of these stupid game movies. All they do is perpetuate a stereotype against a potential art-form.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Michael C. Hall is the only saving grace for this movie. I'm tired of these stupid game movies. All they do is perpetuate a stereotype against a potential art-form.

potential?
I think it's already there.
People just won't accept it, because they're too stuck living 15 years ago.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It's not there yet. There are games that border on art, and there are games that the individual pieces are art, but there aren't many games that classify as art as a whole. I would say that Bioshock comes close, using the player's interaction as an actual piece of the artwork. Also, Braid comes close with the mechanics being pretty integral to the gameplay.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
It's not there yet. There are games that border on art, and there are games that the individual pieces are art, but there aren't many games that classify as art as a whole. I would say that Bioshock comes close, using the player's interaction as an actual piece of the artwork. Also, Braid comes close with the mechanics being pretty integral to the gameplay.

Games are art, just as pictures, movies, music, and literature all are art.  some are brilliant works and some are absolute rubbish.

That's how I see it.
Quality of the piece has little to do with the classification as a form of art.

but this isn't the place to discuss this.
As far as the movie goes, I'm not sure whether to be eager to see it, or to dread it.  I'm not sure how I think it'll turn out.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki

Games are art, just as pictures, movies, music, and literature all are art.  some are brilliant works and some are absolute rubbish.

That's how I see it.
Quality of the piece has little to do with the classification as a form of art.

I agree with you there, too many people blindly compare movies to games and games to movies in some form of elitist artist discussion. But it's mainly "hardcore" game douches who don't believe in movies and think that artistically, games have surpassed movies. I doubt the latter because you wouldn't do certain things in games and you certainly wouldn't do certain things in movies that you can do in the other. They're too different.
I also agree with holk because a lot of games these days are like kindergarten paintings, not really art, but still an expression. Unreal Tournament is one of my favorite game series but I'm not gonna call it a piece of art. Then you have stuff like Bioshock, like holk said, iis really amazing because of the way you can interact with the world around you, and the art style. It's funny that comparing a game to a movie is a pretty honorable thing, but saying a movies watches like a game is kind of a bad thing.

That said, this movie looks like that episode of the X-Files about the virtual world that is sort of real IIRC.
The cinematography looks cool, sorta reminds me of Blade Runner. Who knows, I agree with Nam, no middle ground.