RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED]RMXP Style Battle Transitions

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
RMXP Style Transitions
April 29 2009

Summary
I've searched all the major sites and I could only find rmxp styled map transitions. I want something similar where there's no fade to black during battle transitions, just like in rmxp. It should just use the transition image to do a straight cut into the battle with no color fades. I've tried looking around the game scripts and was stumped as to what I should edit. I have a feeling it might be in Scene_Map or Game_Map. I found a section about transitions in Scene_Map but from the looks of it, it seems that is for the transition out of battle, which I do not want to change by the way.

In short, I want a snippet, edit, or even full blown script to recreate the battle transition style of RMXP. This should not affect transitions in maps, or after battle. Thanks in advance to whoever chooses to tackle this.

Features Desired
  • Doesn't need anything extra.

Mockups
I'm going to assume everyone here knows what the RMXP transitions are like.

Games its been in
  • Almost every RMXP game

Did you search?
Yes

Where did you search?
  • Google
  • RMVX.net (Also requested here, but it went unanswered)
  • hbgames.org
  • RRR
  • RMRK

What did you search for?
  • RMXP transitions (brought up the map transitions, not the battle.)
  • RMXP style battle transition
  • Colorless transition
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:41:58 PM by MrMoo »

- -

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I can look into it. No promises though.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
OK, this is easy. But it looks weird because of the way that battlebacks appear in VX. Since they looks similar to the map, it has a weird, IDK. You can see it when you try it.

Placing this in a new script entry between Materials and Main ought to work:

Code: [Select]
class Scene_Map
  def perform_battle_transition
  end
end

class Scene_Battle
  def perform_transition
    Graphics.transition(80, "Graphics/System/BattleStart", 0)
  end
end

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Ah thanks MA. It does work, and I guess it's cause when you test it, you were probably using the default battle system's wavy background thing. I haven't tried it on my main game yet, but it'll probably look better depending on your transition and battle backs.

Also, after playing around with it, I think setting the last digit to somewhere around 40-60 will make the transition more smooth like in the style of XP. As with 0 everything will appear like a straight line transition.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:16:01 PM by MrMoo »

- -

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, probably it will look better with battlebacks. If you want, I could make it so that it doesn't always need to be the same transition graphic, by the way. Just tell me how you would like the system to know when to switch transitions.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
That would be great actually, and will also help with testing out multiple transitions without having to constantly restart the game.
Perhaps have a script option of either random or selected transition. Random would simply use any transitions present in the game folder and script, and selection transitions would probably use a call script function. A call script can also be used to switch between random and selection mode.

- -

Rep:
Level 97
I don't want to make a new folder in Graphics because there are ways for that to cause problems when making encrypted data. Instead, you can put the transition graphics in System. I have this:

class Game_System
  attr_writer :transition_graphic
  def transition_graphic
    random_transitions = ["BattleStart"]
    return @transition_graphic unless @transition_graphic == nil
    r_int = rand (random_transitions.size)
    return random_transitions[r_int]
  end
end

class Scene_Map
  def perform_battle_transition
    Graphics.freeze
  end
end

class Scene_Battle
  def perform_transition
    Graphics.transition(80, "Graphics/System/" + $game_system.transition_graphic)
  end
end

To set up what files can be used as transitions, merely include its name in the array at the top, so this thing:

random_transitions = ["BattleStart"]

To add more, just place a comma and the next filename in quotes, like:

random_transitions = ["BattleStart", "transitionfile2", "transitionfile3", etc...]

By default, it will randomly select from that array. You can set a specific transition graphic with this code in a call script:

$game_system.transition_graphic = "filename"

To set it back to random, use this:

$game_system.transition_graphic = nil

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Thanks MA, this will definitely help in my testing. Thanks for taking the request and more.

- -